It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• new here, TSH level advice please...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
    gemma29
    (female)

gemma29 HB User
    new here, TSH level advice please...

hi everyone, my name is gemma and i'm 29.

me and my husband have recently been trying for a baby and i come off of the pill a few months ago and have had regular periods since. (we have two children already).

anyway, my last period was 12th july and i thought i was pregnant because i was late. my tests kept coming up negative (not surprising as it took nearly 3/4 weeks for me to get a positive with my two others) but now it's been 80 days since that last period.

my dr sent me for blood tests and my TSH level is 7.3 (borderline she said) and i have to go for another in a month.

my T4, FSH, LH, prolactic, progesterone and testosterone levels are all normal.

i have no symptoms of a underactive thyroid.

i'm just wondering if anyone has got any advice and what that level means exactly!

thank you!!

gem xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: new here, TSH level advice please...

Hi ya
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemma29 View Post
    my dr sent me for blood tests and my TSH level is 7.3 (borderline she said) and i have to go for another in a month.
    This is not "borderline" - this is definetely HypoT (if it was like 3 it would be "borderline"). Are you sure that there are no symptoms what so ever (besides missing periods)? You need to get your FREE thyroid levels checked (not the total ones) - those levels usually need to be at least in the middle of the reference range or higher - and also thyroid antibodies (TPO and Tg antibodies). And you need to put these baby plans on hold until this is investigated and treated properly.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-29-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The "optimal" TSH for conception is around 1.5, not a smidge higher than 2. The free level of T4 must be within the upper third of its range. (I would bet the farm yours is at the very bottom of its range, which is too low for all but the rare woman. Just because it's within the range doesn't make it "normal".) Your doctor is doing you a great disservice by not treating your hypothyroidism NOW.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
    gemma29
    (female)

gemma29 HB User

hi and thank you so much for your replies.

my dr said it was borderline as the norm (whatever that is!) is between 0.30 and 5.50.

my T4 level is 13 - the 'norm' being between 10 and 25.

i really appreciate your advice - this is all really new to me!! doesn't run in my family or anything so i'm don't really know much at all.

what causes hypothyroidism? or is it just one of those things.

i haven't got any symptoms - not that i'm aware of anyway!

xx

Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemma29 View Post
    my dr said it was borderline as the norm (whatever that is!) is between 0.30 and 5.50.

my T4 level is 13 - the 'norm' being between 10 and 25.

what causes hypothyroidism? or is it just one of those things.

i haven't got any symptoms - not that i'm aware of anyway!
    Actually the norm is about 0,4-2,5, not over 3 - your doctor is using old ranges. Your FT4 is not that great either so that would also point towards HypoT. HypoT is usually caused by an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's thyroiditis - that's why you need to get those antibodies tested - if they are high you have Hashi's for sure and in definate need of treatment. Hashi's runs in the family but for instance I don't have any known family history of thyroid disorders but still me and my twin sister have it.

Oh and many people have HypoT symptoms without realizing it until they get treatment for it and symptoms start to subside

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-29-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
    gemma29
    (female)

gemma29 HB User

thanks so much for all the info - like i said, this is all alien to me!

really appreciate it
    xx

Closed Thread