It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• overmedicated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
    lumbergirl59
    (female)

lumbergirl59 HB User
    overmedicated

doctor lowered synthroid due to very low tsh level, 0.01. I had been taking it for 13 years, is there a chance my thyroid will start working on its own again? I have always taken 2.0 or more, seems as tho when I was put on it back then my tsh was 1.91, so probably should not have been put on in the first place. I was told by him that I was borderline. Ever since I have to say that I really have not felt all that great. Always sweating, insomnia, 30 pound weight gain, skin rashes under arms, etc. My new doctor lowered me to .50 and my tsh was 3.6 one month after. She has kept me on the .50 for another month and I go on Thursday for bloodwork again to see if it has changed. I still am sweating all the time, insomnia, weight gain, etc. This is just crazy. I am a 49 year old female.

Last edited by lumbergirl59; 09-29-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Re: overmedicated

See the other threads near this one, about Range.

Many of us have a TSH of .01, with antibodies, but feel great. There's also SILENT THYROIDITIS, self-limiting, 3 mo to about a year, when we've been undermedicated for a while due to most doctors and even labs not keeping up with Range changes, assuming the TSH number will tell them everything. There can be MANY causes of a lowered TSH even metformin, too much salt, inhaled steroids, too much aspirin, etc., etc., etc. Antibodies were measured? And both your Frees, free T4 and T3? Often they don't do any of this unless you specifically request it.

If you have weight gain, you may not have been overmedicated, maybe just the opposite. I'm having the same problem, just now learning about it myself. Online doctors say adequate medication usually will cause Antibodies numbers to go down, and inadequate medication allows them to take over more, do damage, if I understand correctly all that I'm reading in my online searches, which are much quicker than doctor-to-doctor.

Wish I knew exactly how they test the blood and arrive at .01. Anyone ever worked at a lab?

Last edited by Eagle; 09-30-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
    maxine0703
    (female)

maxine0703 HB User

My Mom was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, she was taking medication for a few years, then the doctor took her off her medication completely... She went for two years without the medication and was just fine. She had to get blood test's regulary, they discovered her Thyroid had gone in the opposite direction and now it's underactive?? I spoke to her lastnight, she has to take medication for life now.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxine0703 View Post
    My Mom was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, she was taking medication for a few years, then the doctor took her off her medication completely... She went for two years without the medication and was just fine. She had to get blood test's regulary, they discovered her Thyroid had gone in the opposite direction and now it's underactive?? I spoke to her lastnight, she has to take medication for life now.
    Through the years I've always read that hypo medication is usually for life.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
    lumbergirl59
    (female)

lumbergirl59 HB User

Thanks for all of your input, it is soooo helpful When I went in the hospital I was definately hyperactive, as I had an irregular heartbeat, and that is something I have never had, I also had all of the hyper symptoms to extreme, I felt just horrible. Right now I am on .50, and have great energy, no muscle aches, skin seems good, I am just experiencing several bowel movements a day, my weight is not changing either way, feel very hot all of the time, ankles, fingers and eyes are swelled. Not really sure what is going on, here are my blood test results from one month ago after going from 2.0 synthroid to taking .50 synthroid for one month. tsh 4.97, free t3 2.78 and free t4.68. I am not sure on the antibodies, as nobody said anything about that. I tell you I am so confused. Another change this dr. made was take me off 20 meq potassium supplements, as I was always low on potassium, but she has not tested that and will be this Thursday. What a nightmare. Just getting someone to listen to you is a chore, let alone fixing the problem. Oh well, carry on.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
    maxine0703
    (female)

maxine0703 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Through the years I've always read that hypo medication is usually for life.
    Yes, I heard this too... She doesn't know why he took her off the medication, but she said she was ok not having it, no symptoms, it was only during one of her routine blood test's did she learn her thyroid had gone in the opposite direction?? All very confusing.

Closed Thread