It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• MMR booster shot & hashis urgent please need info!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
    b&wcats
    (female)

b&wcats HB User
    MMR booster shot & hashis urgent please need info!

Hi!
    I am a hashi's patient and I'm in grad school and they require proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. I've had my two MMR shots, one as an infant and one about 10 years ago. I did not have Hashi's yet at either time.

I unfortunately don't have proof (doctor's note) of my second shot because it was done at a college and they get rid of all of those records.

So, I had the blood titer done for immunity and it turns out that while I have antibodies to measles and mumps they are too low for immunity and I have to get the MMR booster shot again (the rubella I am still immune to but my PCP won't give me measles and mumps seperately).

My PCP says it's fine to do but I don't trust her. She's steered me totally wrong in the past -- I'm in the process of finding a new PCP but don't have one yet. I've left messages for my endo but he hasn't returned my calls.

I'm supposed to have the booster shot tomorrow morning because the school won't let me wait any longer.

I saw this post in answer to the flu shot and I am very concerned because the MMR is a live vaccine. I work and do school so I can't take time off if I have a bad reaction but I also will either need a doctor's letter to not have it done or proof of immunity to continue school. Does anyone one out there have any info? Thank you!
    From flu shot question post:
    Re: Do I need the flu shot?
    I was just diagnosed with another autoimmune disease. My hematologist gave me the ok on the flu shot, which is made with a killed virus. Any vaccination made with a live virus would be a bad idea for someone with impaired immunity or autoimmunity to have

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: MMR booster shot & hashis urgent please need info!

OK... Since that quote is mine, I guess I should comment. Remember, I'm not a scientist and this isn't a subject I've researched extensively. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

When immunity is substantially impaired, as from steroid treatment, HIV, chemotherapy, splenectomy, etc., live vaccines which introduce viruses into the bloodstream can actually cause the diseases they're meant to prevent. Killed viruses can't do that. Hashi's can sometimes impair immunity, but not usually to a dangerous degree that the above conditions do.

There is some debate about live viruses causing a hyper-immune reaction that might trigger an unwanted, autoimmune process. This is only a hypothesis, NOT scientific fact.

In your case, if it were me in your situation, I'd just take the vaccine to avoid the hassle of trying to be excused from it. I don't think - but certainly can't foretell your future with certainty - that it will do you any harm. But keep trying to get medical confirmation, just to be sure.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-30-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: MMR booster shot & hashis urgent please need info!

MMR immunity titre only lasts about 1 year on some people. If you had measles it would always stay high but with the passive immunity (shot) it only lasts about 1 year. If you get the shot make sure you get a record so you can use it in the future and do not have to have it repeated.

Not sure what to tell you. Check with your Endo. Also you can get a medical or religious exemption for any vaccine depending on what State you live in. I believe all States have medical exemptions for allergies to vaccines but it requires a Doctor's note.

The State Health Dept should have the paperwork for the exemption if you choose not to have it. Look up the rules on your State Health Dept's online site.

I just had to have steriods due to an allergic reaction.......I felt I had no choice and have Hashi's so it was scary worrying what will happen from it.
    I understand your concern........let us know what you decide.

I applaud you for being your own advocate !!!!!! Being educated and taking responsibility for you own self............Sincerely, Oleander

Closed Thread