It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Feeling good on 30 mg of Armour? (with positive antobodies)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
    swraper
    (male)

swraper HB User
    Feeling good on 30 mg of Armour? (with positive antobodies)

Feeling good on 30 mg of Armour? (positive antobodies)

Over the past year, my wife has tested positive for Thyroid antibodies on two different occasions. All other bloodwork (TSH, T3, T4, Free T3, Free T4) was normal according to her endocrinologist. Therefore, he would not treat her. However, over the past 4 -5 years she has had alot of symptoms that appear to be thyroid related and are getting worse.
    These are few of her symptoms that she has:

Less stamina\energy than others, Often feeling cold, Debilitating reaction to exercise, Forgetfulness, Foggy thinking, feeling like you canít get enough air, Nausea, Aching bones/muscles, Exhaustion, anxiety, Joint pain, Tightness in throat, periodic low grade fevers, tightness in chest

She is scheduled to see a Thyroid Dr (not an endocrinologist) in December that supposedly treats "symptoms" even when labs are considered normal.

However, upon a regular Dr appt today, she told our family Dr how she was feeling. To my surprise, the Dr prescribed Armour (30 mg) to see if it would help. I know this is the lowest dose prescribed, but I was wondering do you think this would help her?

I look at it positively, because we finally have a Dr that is willing to try and help her. Hopefully, the December appt with the Thyroid Dr would be able to adjust the right amount.
    I was just wondering if anyone thought this low dose would be beneficial?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Feeling good on 30 mg of Armour? (with positive antobodies)

It depends on how low your wife's Ft levels are. She should feel a benefit quickly. However the TSh is going to drop because of the T3 and this may make her feel worse if the pituitary gland takes a break and thus gives her thyroid a break. She will need to go back to the same GP in 4-6 weeks. Get her TSH, FT3, and Ft4 tested. It will be the Fts that you need to focus on and you will be wanting those levels in the 50-80% of normal. If they are low as for a 15 - 30 increase in the Armour. You may have stumbled on a keeper. An Endo is not always the best at treating a thyroid condition. Congratulations on making it through the first step of treatment.. finding an MD to prescribe you medicine. UGH! I hated the months of fighting after knowing it was my thyroid. Feel good about it.. you are making progress.

MG

Closed Thread