It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• both TSH and free T4 dropping?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
    kevieb
    (female)

kevieb HB User
    both TSH and free T4 dropping?

i have been on thyroid suppression therapy since my soon-to-be 11 year old was a newborn. i had numerous nodules or cysts and they said suppressing my thyroid would make them shrink. for the last 9 years i have slowly developed what appears to be fibromyalgia. i was also diagnosed with bipolar NOS i have horrible sleep problems, can't concentrate well, poor memory, irritable bladder, etc. etc. the psych took me off of the thyroid meds almost a year ago to see what my thyroid would do on it's own, since it had been functioning fine before suppression therapy.

in feb, tests looked normal. i have really been struggling with carpal tunnel, so our local orthoped tested my b-12 and my thyroid. he said the thyroid in my blood stream is too low (although it is still supposedly in the normal range---aat the bottom) TSH appears normal. the weird thing, is that both the TSH and the Free T4 levels have dropped since february. i thought that when one went up the other went down. why would both levels be dropping?

i might mention that 3 of my children have celiac disease and that my husband and i and 8 of my 9 children all carry the DQ2 gene---which i understand predisposes me to autoimmune thyroid problems.

i have an appt. with an endocrinologist next week.

i have a very difficult time getting up in the morning, i don't sleep well unless i am drugged to the max and i live on narcotics and muscle relaxants, not to mention anti-anxiety drugs, anti-depressants and caffeinne. i was taking stimulants up until a couple of weeks ago. i can't believe how exhausted i am since i ran out of stimulants.

any suggestions here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: both TSH and free T4 dropping?

YOu mention that TSH and T4 have dropped, but I dont' see the levels to compare them. The drop may or may not be statistically significant, and Free T4 is also VERY much affected by when you took your meds.

If you take your meds in the morning and your Feb lab was drawn in the morning and the other was in the afternoon, that would explain the difference, right there, on your Free T4.

TSH is pulsatile, and varies considerably over the course of a 24 hour period. It is lowest at the point when you fall asleep at night, and highest in the wee hours of the morning, probably three hours after you fall asleep. The level falls slowly throughout the day. SO, again, if one lab was in the morning, and one was in the afternoon, you can see how there would be a difference.

Post those lab results, their ranges, when they were drawn (time of day), and when you take your meds normally and we can get somewhere on interpreting the results.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
    kevieb
    (female)

kevieb HB User

i don't take meds----i have been off of them since before christmas.

in feb the T4 was 1.02 and the TSH was 1.27. labs were drawn a little over a month ago and both levels were .87-----i don't remember what time of day the labs were drawn either time---most likely between 11 am and 5 pm.

the range for T4 is .71-1.85 at both labs.
    the range for TSH was .47-5.01 at the first lab and .45-4.67 at the second lab.

Last edited by kevieb; 10-03-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

TSH usually drops when T3 and T4 rise, rises when T3 and T4 fall, however, your change in TSH is not statistically significant. Meds or no meds, it can vary far more than that in a 24 hour period.

The fact that your Free T4 dropped some is another question. In both labs, it was low enough that it would cause me to have symptoms. I believe that this could certainly be a contributing factor in your symptoms.

T3 also affects symptoms and it might be revealing if you had a Free T3 test done.

To sum up: Do you have a thyroid problem? Yes, I believe so. Will you be diagnosed by lab work alone? I seriously doubt it.

Statistics: Out of a group of 100 randomly chosen adults in the US, twenty of those likely have a thyroid disorder. Out of those twenty, only five will be diagnosed by lab work alone. Those of us who fall into the other 15 have to seek out doctors that are smart enough to know that lab work can be a great guideline, but that symptoms and how the patient feels are the ultimate indicators.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread