It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone else had the "I'm at the end of my rope!" Feeling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User
    Anyone else had the "I'm at the end of my rope!" Feeling?

Hello again all.

Yes, I know I have not been dealing with this as long as some of you have, but I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm at the end of my rope. To recap for those of you who don't know........here's the short of it.

After never having surgery for anything....May 08 ovarian cystectomy, June 08 my first pregnancy (at 38), Aug 08 my first miscarriage, Sept 08 TT, Sept 08 thyroid cancer....and the Dr's appts go on and on and on from here.

Sometimes I've just had enough. I'm sick of feeling like crap, not having enough energy to meet my kids at the bus after school even! Too tired to get up. Body aches like I've never had...hurts to get out of bed sometimes! I"M TOO YOUNG FOR THIS CRAP! I can't do anything at home anymore. I'm not up to it. My husband has been doing everything he can, which, with his work hours isn't easy. Sometimes he's not home until 7 or 8. I have never been one to have people do things for me. Never been one to put my kids in daycare to have the day off. I feel guilty when someone else has to take care of my kids...even for an afternoon. I'm Mom. I do everything. I can't stand to have people do things for me and having to feel helpless. I HATE THIS!

My husband mentioned going to talk to someone. That would just be yet another appointment that i'd have to get myself out of bed and drive (around here, at least 45 minutes) to when I really am not up to it. And I don't like to just sit and b***h and moan. (Yes, I realize that's what I'm doing here. But I don't have to look you guys in the eyes. If I cry you don't have to see me.) AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I guess I'm just having a bad day. It happens. We're all entitled. Thank you for letting me vent. Even just the typing helps a little. What have any of you done once you've just had enough? Any suggestions? Thank you again for listening.

mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Anyone else had the "I'm at the end of my rope!" Feeling?

It's very normal to feel this way, you found out about the thyroid cancer, and your hormones are all wacked out, plus it is normal to have depression after surgery.

You have to take it really really slow, one day at a time, if that's too much, take it an hour at a time.

Also, if distraction doesn't help (my life was so busy, that usually just got me through the day), read a book or watch a movie, about someone going through rough times (it's usually worse than your own)---it's true that misery really does love company. I read "when bad things happen to good people" that helped too.

Also, in some areas, the thyroid cancer organization has support groups, as well as phone support.

As bad as things feel now, they are going to get much much much better, and you are going to be fine.

Last edited by Reece; 10-02-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Your not alone. I felt the same way. I am sure I will again. This is a never ending series of checks and balances. You are still getting regulated. What were your last TSH, FT3 and Ft4 results?

Have you had your adrenal hormonal factors checked? DHEA, Estrogen, testosterone?

As to the muscle and joint aches. Hashimoto's is a royal pain in the DONKEY about that one. Things that help, making sure your multivitamin has Selenium in it. 100% of the recommended dose. I do not push it higher.. because you can have too much of a good thing and go toxic. Make sure that your ferritin levels are mid range.. at least above 70. Check your potassium and magnesium levels. Hypothyroidism often causes malabsorption of essential minerals. With out them we hurt. I have to take a super B complex daily that gives me 1000x the normal limit of 6 or 7 B vitamins to fight a B6 and B12 deficiency. I have to take 400 mg of magnesium daily to help with migraines and chronic pain. I have to take 4x the normal limit of vit D and Calcium to stay in the normal limtis. I check my blood chemistry with the write ins vit D, B12, Magnesium, ferritin every 3 months minimum. Is you MD just checking your thyroid levels and not the fall out issues of malabsorption? I hope that you get relief soon. When I couldn't do as much. I focused on doing creative things with my son. I would play board games with him. We would research a subject on line together. Sometimes I would make an indoor fort in front of the TV and we would watch a show. This meant the house work slid a bit.. *snort* OKAY alot. But my son still new I loved him.. I just couldn't run and play outside or ride bikes. You children will know and understand that mommy is sick. They also if they are like my son and nieces want to help. I got a mini broom and mop set.. the Swifters work well too. My guy loves to play at sweeping and mopping. He gets an allowance for helping too. We talk and make up funny stories while doing dishes. A good dish water sprayer fight.. while messy relieves the gloom for a bit. I think focusing on my desire to be a good mommy and wanting my son to stop asking me why I was sad all the time was my catalyst. Now if his innocent statement,"Mommy you are getting wider!" would just catalyze weight loss.

Hypothyroid depression is COMMON. WE ALL SUFFER IT. You can not treat it with anti-depressants, only with getting your T4 levels to optimal. In the mean time, get angry get frustrated FEEL again.. NOW channel it. You are bigger than that tiny little pain in the neck thyroid that may or may not be occupying your space these days. I am pretty sure you had a TT right mmmcoffee? Well one positive is the pain in the neck is gone. Outta there. You only have to get your medications regulated now. It will happen. It does take time. Try and laugh. Keep a journal and focus on keeping notes on the good things and writing down and forgetting the bad things. ALSO ALWAYS feel free to vent here. We all have a need and it is easier to vent to strangers that understand than burden your families with more thyroid funk. Nothing like passing the thyroid funk around the home to bring everyone to the dumps.. THEN you have to do something crazy.. like a mud puddle fight with a border collie and a 5 year old to get out of it. I hope that things begin to improve for you and that you are getting the thyroid care you deserve.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-02-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
    Caroline1357924
    (female)

Caroline1357924 HB User

Yes, and 'being at the end of my rope' is exactly the expression that sums it up for me too! I feel like I just have no slack left in my little rope to enable me to deal with people that are rude, unhelpful or whatever, and like I'm constantly on the verge of a total meltdown.

I'm trying to conceive too, and having tests to see if there's an auto-immune disorder underlying the fertility problem. We're both lucky to have supportive husbands, but I do worry about expecting mine to cope with too much.

I replied just to say that you are NOT alone, your post will have struck a chord with just about everyone reading this site I'm sure.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Good luck Caroline! I wish you well in attaininng the optimal T4 level and HOPE that you are Hashimoto's free.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

Funny I was just getting ready to post a similar post. Although I'm not at the "end of my rope", I do feel like death warmed over! Prior to surgery my Doc had my meds adjusted well and I felt great, but since RAI, I don't even have enough energy to get out of bed! I got new labs (1 week after RAI) and was expecting a dose increase but nooooooo! Doc said wait 4 weeks and re-test! I can't go 4 weeks feeling like this. Why wouldn't she increase my Levoxyl? I'm still on the same dose as when I had a thyroid!

Latest labs

TSH 3.9
    FT4 0.64 (0.6-1.6) = 4% of range
    FT3 139 (85-205) = 45% of range
    Thyroglobulin = 7.9 ?????

My FT4 is real low! And my TSH should be much lower! It's only been a week, will my FT4 come up over time?

mmmcoffee - Has your Doc been adjusting your meds? Did you have or are you going to have RAI? I hope that you (and I) start feeling better soon

J

Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

love,

You need your adrenal function evaluated. With your Ft3 being that much higher than your Ft4 I suspect your adrenals have taken a hit and your cortisol and aldosterone levels are in the toilet. Something is not blocking your T4 to T3 conversion. All your T4 coming in is being tossed back out in T3. This is fine, but we need T4 for mental function and neurological pathways and control. Look into hypoadrenalism, you may just find some of your symptoms there. I was in your boat. Because my adrenals died. Inceasing my T4 supplementation just threw me hyperT in T3 while leaving me hypoT in T4. It sucks big time.

Basic adrenal testing should include:
    ACTH, DHEA, cortisol, aldosterone fasting blood serum tests at 8 am
    An ACTH stim test starting at 8 am.
    saliva cortisol rhythm test

There are more tests you can do like adrenal cortex antibodies ACA. If you had Graves or Hashimoto's.. this is a wise test to run... ACAs are the adrenal cousins to Hashimoto's TPOAbs/TGAbs.

MG

Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

MKG - After RAI for 14 days that end tomorrow I have been on 50mcg of Cytomel. Could that account for the high T3.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Love,

Certainly. Are you on any T4? If not then what you are seeing is natural You are only putting in T3 and you have no means to make T4. As a result you are hypoT in T4 and the T3 is just barely meeting you physical function requirements. Also your adrenals wouldn't be to blame. However having a baseline ACTH and cortisol fasting done is always worth the effort in my opinion.

I saw the imbalance with out getting your dosing history.. *slaps the back of my left hand* Bad MG. Jumped the gun. Adrenal issues are as badly overlooked as thyroid. Once you get on T3 you may have to lower your T3 depending on your livers ability to convert T4 to T3.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-02-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

OK I'm on 175mcg of Levoxyl as well as the Cytomel. My real question is, since it was only one week after RAI (TSH 58) when I got my labs, will my T4 come up over time or do I need an increase?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Love,

I have to admit I do not know. You are on an Aweful large dose of T4 and T3 for your levels to be that low. Can you change brands of T4, maybe you are resistant to that formulation? I am not sure how RAI affects metabolization/absorption of T4 and T3. On average the replacement dose of T4 is 100-150 mcgs. Has you MD looking into your thyroid binding globulin levels and capabilities? This can be effected by estrogen and progesterone levels.. or lack of.. In women TBG tends to be higher, because our estrogen is higher. TBG are the railways that shuttle and move T4 about. If you are deficient there.. you will not bind and gather your T4.. just flush it. There are a lot of subtlities to this thyroid mess. I know that my Aunt who had 2 RAI's and finally a TT was able to start drug titration and get level in 3-6 months. She is happy on a grain of Armour and 75 mcgs of synthroid. Other mixes and combos were in effective for HER.

I will do som research in RAI effects on T4 absorption and regulation.. something should hit in the medical database.. it will take a bit of time though.

MG

Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Thank you all for your support and responses. I dragged myself up today and decided I was going to go shopping. NONE of my jeans fit anymore. I didn't really feel like going, but was going to try. Well, never made it to the store.

Drove 500 yds down the road and turned in my neighbor's driveway. (She was the one who drove me to the ER when my calcium went so wrong). Well, I proceeded to sit at her kitchen table with a never ending cup of coffee for about 4 hrs. I think it was what I needed. I feel somewhat better now. (Except the too-much caffeine) It was a gab session that helped. Being here, in the house, all day, alone with 2 dogs, and no energy to do anything has REALLY gotten me down. I don't usually get to see anyone except the kids when they get home from school. It was nice to sit and have coffee and talk adult stuff. ***sigh***

Thank you all. Yes, mg I have had a TT. My meds were just increased this morning to 150 levothyroxine. My appt is 10/22 during which they will check ALL blood tests, then to the radiation DR to find out about the RAI, then my follow up with the surgeon from the TT. The RAI will probably be sometime beginning of Nov. I'm hoping things improve. But, then again, they have to. No where else to go but up, right?

Thank you all again!

mmmcoffee

P.S.--that coffee was REALLY good. I haven't enjoyed coffee since I was pregnant....it just didn't taste right. At least I've got my taste for it back!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
    Blossom27
    (female)

Blossom27 HB User

mmmcoffee, I do not have a thyroid problem, I have an illness similar to Fibromyalgia that have all the same symptoms except the tender points and is called ME for short. I think everyone who belongs to this site has had their end of tether days. I know that during the 13 years I have been ill I have had many of them and I am fortunate that I have friends I can phone who have the same illness that I have and understand completely where I am coming from. I thank God that they are there for me as I am for them when they reach the end of their tether. It is usually something small that sets it off. You will have had a week of all sorts of things going wrong and then a tiny small thing happens and suddenly there you are at the end of your tether and feel that you cannot go on any more.

Life is tough for those of us that have chronic health problems, we very seldom talk about them to our families you just tune us out if we say anything about our health anyway. They also forget that due to the fact that we have a chronic illness that it takes us longer to recover from a virus or a cold and that we do things more slowly than people who are in perfect health. We often suffer in silence rather than draw attention to a problem that we are struggling to deal with, on the rare occasions that they do notice they cry out why did you not say we are willing to help you. Except when the next time you are in difficulties they are too busy to come and give you the help you need. So I have stopped asking, I then get told I am being unreasonable. It is a no win situation, no matter which way we look at it. So now I just get on with it and I get there in the end.

You will as well, give your self the time and space that you need and do not let other people who can do the job themselves push it on to your shoulders when you already have enough to contend with. My GP summed it up one day, I had overdone it yet again helping someone else out when I should have been resting. She said my main problem was that I hated letting other people down and would go to huge lengths so that did not happen. She told me start putting yourself first and everyone else will just have to wait until you are fit enough to do what ever it is that needs done. It has taken me 13 years to learn to put me first, and family and friends second.

I hope that you will feel better in a few days time, and find that the tether has grown while you have taken a much needed break from everyone else.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
    scottyboy10
    (male)

scottyboy10 HB User

Do you have any Mercury Fillings ?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
    TC08
    Veteran
    (female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

MMMCoffee!!!!!!!!!! Oh HONEY! I'm so sorry. I haven't been on the boards, so I'm just reading about your end-of-your-ropeness Little Bella dog and I are sending you big {{{HUGS}}}.

Oh yes, yes and YES all of this can be Soooooooooo difficult! I was basically healthy and the thyroid cancer diagnosis hit out of the blue at the end of March 08, so this is all pretty new for me too.

And.............not to be a downer but...............hang on because the RAI can be a bit tough I know - I know - but we'll ALL be here for you! I'll try to be better about checking the boards to check on you!! I had RAI August 4th and am feeling pretty darn good these days. So as Reece said, you WILL get better dear! That Reece is a wise one I always like her input (hey Reece!!).

So - HUG your Belle dog! Take it easy on yourself! Glad you had a four hour cup-o-joe - those can really help. There will be better days

Closed Thread