It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Really, really hard time titrating with Armour

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User
    Really, really hard time titrating with Armour

Yikes. I have been all over the place with my move to Armour from Levoxyl. I can't seem to find a comfortable place. I started almost 4 weeks ago. I can't seem to find a balance. I'll feel good at a certain dose for a few days, then I'm hyper, so I back off for a while and try a lower dose. I'll feel good again, then its too much. Maybe I just can't do Armour at all.

The most recent change is 1/4 of 30mg Armour with 50mcg Levoxyl (I used to take 62.5mcg Levoxyl). I felt good yesterday and the day before, but today my heart is starting to race again.

I was so hoping that I could be on Armour. I'm really frustrated and disappointed. BLAH!!! I guess the next step is taking 1/4 of the 30mg Armour every other day and see how that works.

When I first started the Armour, I felt so good the same day I started it. It's been nice having the old energy back, but then it goes too much and that's not good either. Either that or maybe I should do another decrease in Levoxyl. I'm trying to avoid being undermedicated too, which as you know is not fun either.

Last edited by scoot; 10-05-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: Really, really hard time titrating with Armour

Taking the Armour every other day is a recipe for a roller coaster. The half-life of T3 is about one day. Some of us split our dose and take it two to three times a day to even out the effects of it.

If you are reacting that strongly to it, then likely, you have an adrenal problem that needs to be addressed. This is classic textbook adrenal fatigue symptoms, when you start adding thyroid meds without treating the adrenal issue, first.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

thanks meep

but i've been told that t3 builds up in the system too, like t4. why would taking it every other day be a problem? i'm confused. so what's the half life of t4, incidentally, i wonder?

i've had my adrenals checked. dhea and cortisol, and they're in the best shape they've been in years, in normal ranges.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

T3 does build up in your system, if taken regularly. It takes about seven days of taking the same dose, daily for the level to balance out.

The half life of T4 is about 7 days. It takes about 50 days for T4 to stabilize in your system when taking the same dose, daily. since the half life is so much longer, taking it les regularly isn't as big a problem, in theory, but there are people who say that taking their T4 twice a day helps them, and I can see why that might be.

Look into some of the books and resources on treating yrou adrenal fatigue yourself, and meanwhile, lean on your doctor for a trial dose of cortef to see if it will help ease your transition. 20mg a day (take 5mg with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and at bedtime per Dr., William Jeffries in his book "The Safe Uses of Cortisol") is a very low dose and might be enough to ease the transition, if your doc would go for it.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread