It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Tinnitus / Levoxyl / Armour

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
    ancdc
    (female)

ancdc HB User
    Tinnitus / Levoxyl / Armour

Hi - I developed tinnitus (ringing in ears) about 2 months ago. I've been on Levoxyl for about 2 years. I was wondering if anyone else out there got tinnitus while being treated for hypothyroidism and what the prognosis is... In other words, if I switch do a different medicine (such as armour) or if I tweak my dosage will it have any effect on the tinnitus???

I see a lot of websites linking tinnitus and thyroid disorder, but there's no further information - how or why it is linked or what can be done to treat it...

thanks.

PS - my doc is switching me to armour - just curiuos what people think of it. Most of my symptoms are okay on Levoxyl, but my hair is still thinning and I seem to be gaining weight again for no reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User
    Re: Tinnitus / Levoxyl / Armour

Hi ancdc,

I can't comment on the phamaceuticals you're taking as I'm on a different one called 'Oroxine' (thyroid replacement in Australia), BUT the tinnitus problem is one that I do share with you. I'm Hashimotos Dx in 2007.

The tinnitus I expereince is a high pitched electronic ringing, usually in both ears.

What does yours sound like? And when do you notice it?

regards, waratah

Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
    ancdc
    (female)

ancdc HB User

Hi - I have a hissing in both ears. Like speakers that have been left on but there's no music coming out. I can ignore it pretty well. Sometimes it cranks up and sounds more like some sort of electronic party in my ears.

I also have a ringing in my right ear that is like when someone wets their finger and circles the rim of a wine glass with it. VERY annoying. It is usually very quiet and I can only hear when in a silent room, but, a couple weeks ago it acted up for about 10 days and was quite loud.

My neurologist thinks the tinnitus is related to my migraines. I'm seeing my thyroid doc tomorrow, though, to ask her about it.

It seems to get worse after being around loud noise. It can get worse when I have a migraine, but not always. And sometimes it gets worse and I do not have a headache.

A mystery. Ugh. When it is bad, it is very bad, when it is not so bad, I can ignore it, but the anxiety of when it MAY become bad is very hard to deal with.

Good luck.

(PS - there is a tinnitus center in Maryland that I am going to in a few weeks for help. If I get any good feedback, I will post it.)

Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
    pinkjody
    (female)

pinkjody HB User

Hey ANCDC,
    How is your tinnitus now? I noticed you posted this a long time ago and I'm always curious to see how others have gotten along... I've also got Hashimoto's and a month into my Synthroid, I developed the ringing... Wondering if a change to natural meds would help? Any info would be great!

Thanks

Jody

Closed Thread