It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Difficulty swallowing and breathing lately

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User
    Difficulty swallowing and breathing lately

Ok, to add to my fatigue and dizziness, this week I suddenly am having trouble swallowing pills and food without them getting stuck or choking, unless I chew until the food is practically mush in my mouth. I have mild asthma and hardly ever use my rescue inhaler, but the last two nights I've had to use it because I was having a hard time breathing.

Does this sound like the nodule might be getting bigger or just a goiter flare? The nodule was 1.2cm at the time of my biopsy two months ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Difficulty swallowing and breathing lately

What were your last Ft levels percent wise? It is possible it is a thyroiditis flare if you were/are suboptimal. Also depending on diet you may be inflamming your nodules. I LOVE peanut butter, but if I each too much soy or peanut butter I tend to feel it in the thyroid. I get the throbbing ache and pain. I also feel food catch on the way down during these flares. Taking an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen can help in this regard. Also icing the thyroid helps if it is inflammation. If it is a sudden expansion of the thyroid then ice and ibuprofen will have minimal effect on obstruction relief.

MG

Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

From my last post, you had said my FT4 was 76.5% and FT3 was 36%. I have actually stopped eating peanuts, peanut butter and soy (as of two weeks ago).

Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I just wanted a double check. It helps to have all the data and issues in one place. Saves me back tracking a few hundred replies.

Your thyroid is most likely inflammed given your T4 to T3 imbalance. Your body wants more T3, resulting in the liver calling for more T4 so it can convert it. This Hypothalamus/pituitary ping on your thyroid will continue until your levels are balanced. Your body doesn't understand that it is not doing its job making T3.. it is going to continue to call for your thyroid to make more T4 so it can convert it. This is going to be an on going issue until your levels are balanced and optimal.

MG

Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

Thanks. I have to wait until the end of the month to get new labs (will be 6 weeks since my new dose), so I guess I'll have to suffer until then. It'll be interesting to see if my FT4 went up any.

Closed Thread