It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• hypothyroid, with muscle spasms,svt- anyone else have this too??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User
    hypothyroid, with muscle spasms,svt- anyone else have this too??

Hi all!
    I posted this also on heart disorders site.
    I was diagnosed with SVT after partial thyroid lobectomy ( never had any previous health issues).
    My question -
    I have fatigue, with chest pain, tachycardia off and on, but the muscle spasms that come with it- like a seizure in my body with the epicenter in my chest are excruciating and last... and last...like you just had a really tough workout and you feel SO exhausted and shaky/trembling internally. Anyone else get this too....
    I have borderline low thyroid(waiting to start synthyroid til I get my heart rate under control),, negative lyme test, normal cortisol blood, normal mag/calcium levels.
    Could my low thyroid be causing the tachycardia, muscle spasms?
    Please, if anyone has similar symptoms or can be of help... ..Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by tired47; 10-07-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: /

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: hypothyroid, with muscle spasms,svt- anyone else have this too??

Sorry you are having a tough time of things. I hope that with the help of some of the other members here, that we might be able to get to the bottom of what is going on and help you your doctor and, more importantly, help yourself.

Magnesium deficiency can cause many of the symptoms that you are experiencing, but you should also have a complete blood Count (CBC) an Iron Panel, and an Electrolyte panel. You said your Calcium and Magnesium are normal, but define normal. Low normal is not always healthy, so "normal" is a dirty word in these parts. ;-)

Same thing applies to the Cortisol test. If you are experinecing the kinds of symptoms that you are, and your Cortisol is normal, or low-normal (my suspicion) then your adrenals likely do need some help. If there is not enough Cortisol, the adrenals try to compensate by overproducing their namesake Adrenaline, and that will cause the very symptoms that you are describing, which sound like the symptoms of an Adrenal deficiency, though not an adrenal crisis, yet.

Have you had an electrolyte panel done? Where are your Sodium and Potassium levels? If they are out of balance, it indicates a possible adrenal problem, as well.

What are the actual lab results and lab ranges for each test? Sometimes there are patterns there that rushed or narrow-minded doctors might miss.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 10-07-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Dear Meep,
    Thanks for your reply. I have lots of labs results to post.. what would be useful? | had posted thyroid here before and was told low normal.
    I had Cortisol stim test, ( by endo) was told normal, but had a saliva test in spring- showed VERY high "stressors", they retested me several weeks later thinking it was an error... but still high.( done by nutritionist)
    Was low in iron last Dec, retested in spring- normal.
    Had CBC, Mag, calcium,ect.. all were normal. Dr. thought I had Gittelman's syndrome, but more testing - NO.
    Also had low parathyroid for several months, it was decided to lower my calcium ( 1200 to 800mg daily) and the parathyroid level returned to normal.
    I will go thru all my copies and post them. Thanks for any and all help.... this is soooooooooo frustrating. Again, I was very healthy until my thyroid lobectomy 2 years ago... then all "heck" happened!

Last edited by tired47; 10-09-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: //

Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Would anyone please comment on these lab values - if there is a reason for my muscle spasms- Could this be from my thryoid or my SVT, or something else..... ANY help is so appreciated.

RANGE
    Magnesium - 2.1 (1.5-2.5)
    calcium- 9.0 ( 8.6-10.2)
    B-12 - 1542 ( high) ( take B-12 daily)

Had comprehensive metabolic panel and renal function panel- all within normal ranges values

Cortisol stim test-
    coritisol 1- 21.3 ( at 09:18am )
    Coritisol 2- 25.7 ( at 10:57 am)
    Cortisol 3- 30.9 ( at 11:30 am)
    However my saliva test measured extremely high adrenalin in spring, was retested weeks later, still very high.

THYROID NORMAL RANGE

T3 Total- 94 ( 97-219)
    T4 Free- .9 (.8-1.8)
    T4 total- 7.2 (4.5-12.5)
    T3 Free-304 (230_420)
    TSH- 1.32 (.40-4.50)
    thyroid perioxidase antibodies- less than 10 (greater than 35)

I also have a multinodular thyroid remaining lobe left ( rt side removed because of large, growing nodule in Aug 2006, which is when all my health issues started.
    NOt on any thyroid meds... Endo finally agreed to low dose of synthyroid to keep nodules from growing more, but have not started due to cardiac workup for SVT right now.
    Thanks all for help!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
    lisaann1
    (female)

lisaann1 HB User

Have you had your potassium checked? When my potassium gets on the low end of normal, I have tachycardia. I eat lots of bananas and within a few days, my symtoms improve. I also had a bout of muscle spasms several months ago. It was happening all over my body. I ended up getting into a neurologist and she said I had BFS, which is a begnin fascilitation symdrome. I started to take calcium, mag, potassium, and a vit. b complex everyday. Also, I increased my water intake since dehyration can bring on the spasms (according to my neuro.) Whatever I did worked, and the spasms have lessoned.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

TO me your Calcium and Magnesium look a LITTLE out of balance, but not so much that I would think it is a huge contributor, here.

High ADRENALINE? There is your tachycardia. To me, this indicates either an inordinate amount of stress. Often, going to the doctor is enough of a stress to skew these tests, so the home saliva kits are probably preferable. If they were done at home, then I feel this is definitely where you need to focus.

The thyroid labs aren't just low normal, they are very low, and "normal" is a dirty word. Since your TSH is in the vicinty of where healthy people often find theirs, your hypothalamus and pituitary don't know you have a problem, OR they are trying to slow your metabolism to protect you from something.

How are your electrolytes (potassium, and sodium, especially)?

What stresses are there in your life?

How is your diet?

Do you have sugar or salt cravings?

How much caffeine do you consume (coffee, tea, sodas, etc.)?

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
    Helper51
    (female)

Helper51 HB User

I also have sinus ventricular tachycardia along with Hash's and Hypothyroidism. I know the feelings you are having. Its pretty scary. I presented to the ER with a pulse of 212 and my TSH was 36. I did all the cardio testing and my cardiologist now has me taking a very low dose of Toprol 12.5 mg for the tachycardia. It works wonders although If I do not get enough sleep or am physically exhausted, I can still have small episodes but no where near the intensity that I had prior. It is terrifying when it happens. My legs were like rubber, I would start to sweat, pains in the jaw, all the symptoms of a heart attack. By the time I got to the ER all the symptoms would stop and I would feel great. The last time I went the doctors were finally able to see that I had a problem. Now I take levoythryoxine 112 mcg and the toprol and am feeling much better. Don't worry, although it is a bad scene, I was told that it was not dangrous. Keep testing they will find an answer. Good luck

Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Thanks all for responses.

Meep,

normal range
    sodium- 138 135- 146
    potassium - 4.3 3.5-5.3

I have had low potassium levels at times so I eat lots of bananas, raisins, nuts,ect.... I have also had low magnesium levels at times ( take 600 mag daily). I have a fairly healthy diet lots of fruits, veggies,dairy, no red meat, no caffine at all ( makes my heart go crazy). I CRAVE salt ( always hated it before).
    I have normal stresses as everyone does... the only outstanding one is trying to get this heart/health issue resolved, or at least a plan of attack ( I am a type A person). I have always been healthy until this.... all started after thyroid lobectomy.
    Since then I have had h pylori ( took 3 doses of mega antibiotics to get rid of), ?? gittelman's syndrome ( had low mag levels), low parathyroid ( calcium was supressing it , lowered calcium supplement and it resolved), ?? celiac- normal tests for it...
    Also my Bloodpressure runs very low now... 90/60, used to be 120/70.
    Just tired of all this, just want my life back.

Lisaann1,
    Thanks to you for your response too- I do eat lots of bananas and drink mostly water... I live in a hot climate so have learned to do these things.

Helper51,
    Yes, it is SO scarey to have an attack, have the chest pain, heart beating fast, feels like an elephant on my chest/throat... and then get to the ER and they think you are crazy ( or anxious). They just want to give you a shot of whatever and send you home. I don't want drugs, just want this go away and NEVER happen again. I am sure you understand.

Last edited by tired47; 10-20-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User

WOW! You sound alot like me. Same symptoms. Also had my thyroid removed. Your potassium is low. I had tests done by several dr.'s and they just said eat more bananas and high potassium foods and it didn't help I just got worse. Finally one dr. did a 24 hour unrine test which showed massive potassium wasting. A person should only lose 25 to 125(don't know name of scale) a day. I was losing 839 a day. My dr. sent me to a kidney dr. and he said I have something similar to Gitelman's syndrome. I am now taking Spironolactone 25mg. Started it two weeks ago and had labs done the other day but haven't got the results back yet to see if my levels of potassium have gone up. He said it could take six months for my muscle to respond. I have alot of muscle weakness and spasms and seizures. Also I have alot of tachycardia events and that is due to the lack of potassium. Do you get tingling around the mouth? I get that. All this is due to the kidneys not working properly and letting out too much potassium in the urine instead of the blood getting what it needs. Are your Dr.'s positive you don't have something like Gitelman's?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Dear Beth67,
    THANK YOU for your reply.... I have had every test, but not sure if a 24 hour potassium test??. I have had occassional low potassium levels, so I am not sure if we have a similar health issue. I can not tolerate heat( being outside) at all, getting very nauseous, lightheaded, tachycardia...

I have had occassional "wierd feeling" in cheek area at times. Also lots of spasms in my arms, legs, back, really bad when I took NO calcium, magnesium for 2 weeks for testing purposes. Also I CRAVE salt..... never liked it before!!

Once I was having blood drawn and the tech saw the twitching which affected the blood coming out in spurts... and she said she had never seen anything like it.

I also feel my throat spasm or "close up" -when I am talking alot or singing ( at church). It feels like a huge spasm, can not breathe, swallow, talk for a second or two... very scarey and painful, suddenly okay again!

I went to Cleveland Clinic because the Nephrologist here suspected Gitelman's... but the Dr ( nephro) there said no. My mag levels were low, but normal... and all the magnesium/calcium in the urine was from taking to much orally, so they lowered all the daily doses. The Dr. there would not order any other tests or send me to any other depts. He thought the spasms, chest pain was a "panic disorder".

My cardiologist was angry Cleveland Dr. never looked over my cardiac workup which has arrythmias and tachycardia (PSVT... from unknown etilogy.)

Please list any symptoms, info you feel would be helpful and the name of your disorder if possible. Did the Dr. tell you your problem was related to your thyroid removal???

Thanks again for your response and good luck to you!!

As my name says I am TIRED47!!!

Last edited by tired47; 11-05-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User

Supposedly this has nothing to do with my thyroid removal. I also can not tolerate heat or cold. The muscle spasms also drive me crazy. For the last few days the top of my eye lids have been twitching all the time. Have really bad episodes like the one I had half an hour ago where I feel really weird like I'm going to pass out then it passes. Very tired all the time. I get full throat feelings with occasional heat in the throat. Forgot to mention that to my doctor. Got my labs back today and my sodium is low which might explain my salt cravings which is weird for me because all my life I never have craved it. My C1 is low which is chloride but I don't know what that means and suddenly my phosphorus is pretty high, 4.8 when the top end of scale is 4.7. It's not that horribly high but it seems my body lately is so sensitive when anything is out of order. So now I just wait for my kidney dr. to call and give his input. Ask about a 24 hour test. It may show more of whats going on with you than the blood test like with me. Good luck

Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Dear Beth67,
    Do you know the name of your medical issue? I am going to check if I ever had a 24 urine for potassium done.... I am not sure if they will order it. I think everyone, ESPECIALLY me is so tired of tests and no answers.

I read you crave salt... so do I, which I avoided salty foods before this. My sodium levels are always in low normal area and my potassium has only been below normal a few times- others it is in normal/low normal. Were your blood potassium levels low so they checked your urine... or why did they decide to do that particular test for 24 hour potassium urine??

I read you too have intolerance to heat/cold. Living in Alaska can not be easy. I live in South Texas where the summers are brutal... I never minded it as I did the last 2 summers here. I am loving the cooler fall weather now!!

I am ready some days to give up, no more tests, will anything to make this go away. My first GP put me on antidepressant ( Zoloft). She kept raising the doseage when I said it was not helping. My shaking, trembling, chest pain just seemed to increase, only I just didn't care anymore. I eventually weaned off with the help of my new GP. He is GREAT, but has no other ideas.....

Thanks again!!!
    tired47

Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User

The kidney dr. said that people have something wrong with them but there isn't always a name for it. He said that what is going on with me is similar to Gitelman's syndrome. My potassium levels over the last several months have been right at the lowest level or a little below. I think other doctors didn't think much of it because it wasn't horribly low. I went to several doctors pleading my case. Based on what I've read about fatigue and muscle weakness and pain I really believed it was a potassium issue. Luckily the last person I saw was an endocrinologist and I don't know what perked his curiosity but he decided to check the urine potassium along with alot of other stuff. It was the loss of potassium in the urine that was so dramatic so the kidney dr. believes it's similar to Gitelman's. Today has been an especially bad day. Alot of mental fogginess, dizzy, and muscle pain. The test I had done on monday showed that my potassium levels are the highest they have been in five months so maybe the medication is working. However, it can take several months before I feel better supposedly because even though the blood levels are getting better it takes a lot longer for the muscles to respond. You might want to ask for the urine test. Might shine some light on your situation even if it comes out o.k. I really want my old life back. I used to go for walks, hiking, gardening, playing with the kids. This is really the pits. I don't even like to watch tv sometimes because I'm sick of seeing healthy people. Sounds rediculous doesn't it. Anyways it's good to know there are other people out there like me. Sometimes I feel very isolated. Healthy people around me don't seem to understand.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Dear Beth67,
    I am so hoping you will be feeling better with the meds very soon!!
    How long have you had your symptoms? And how long til you were diagnosed?
    Did you have problems as a child or when pregnant? It makes you wonder what suddenly exasperated the problem if it was there all your life ( such as Gitelmans).

The kidney dr. I saw before said Gitelman's is sometimes brought on by a GI event ( I had H pylori x3 ). Have you had anything else significant- yes the thyroid surgery, right?
    I will call kidney Dr. tomorrow and ask if a 24 hour potassium was ever done.

I was researching the low potassium issue and saw high aldosterone is a sign of potassium/kidney issues. I have had high aldosterone- 21 was highest normal... I had 24. They told me not worry about it....hmmmm???

Thanks for the info and keep me posted on your progress, I share your frustration... I am not asking to be a 20 year old diva... just want my life back.

Last edited by tired47; 11-06-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User

Dear Tired,
    I really started to feel symptoms around Fedbruary of this year but looking back at how I have felt for the last year and a half in the back in of my mind I felt something was off but I thought it was all in my head. Things started to click with me around last May. I had hurt my back and sacro iliac joint in the summer of 2007 and despite physical therapy, strengthening and losing 25 pounds I just wasn't getting better. I actually started to feel weaker which didn't make since because I've always been able to get through back pain in the past. I really think with the potassium being really low along with the calcium and sodium has slowed down my recovery. In the reading I have done the balance between all the minerals plays a big role in proper muscle contraction and relaxation. Hopefully when this medicine kicks in my minerals can get back to normal and then hopefully my muscleds will behave properly so I can get strong again. I was only diagnosed with the Gitelman's three weeks ago and I hope thier right about it. Hopefully i won't get worse and then they will say oops we were wrong it's something else. I had my aldosterone checked as well but it was fine but my renin was low so my endocrinologist had me go in the hospital for a four hour iv saline drip to check my aldosterone levels with a more sensitive test to see if I had an adrenal tumor. Luckily I did'nt. So many tests I have had done. Can't even count how many times I have been poked in the last six months. Took a long time to diagnose me. When I was 7 yrs old I started to get migraines but didn't have anything else major health wise. Things started to go down hill with my health after my son was diagnosed with type one diabetes when he was 4 yrs old. He is 14 now. A year after he was diagnosed I developed asthma, then I started to not feel right for several years and the dr.'s said I was depressed and needed meds which I never took. Complained to alot of doctors about my throat feeling full and hard time swallowing but they said I was just anxious and holding tension and that was what was causing it. Finally one dr. said let me palpitate your thyroid which amazed me because none of the other dr's did that and she said it was enlanrged and a couple on months I had it remored because I had cancer. That was in 2005 and felt somewhat ok after that until the last year. Also I've lost my mom and my husband lost his mom to leukenia and my son with the diabetes has a heart condition now and my other son who is 11 hasn't been to school in two months because of severe sinus problems and may have to get surgery for a deviated septum. So much bad stuff has happened I really think my body can't handle the stress and is turning on me. But what can I do but do the things I can control like losing the last 25 pounds I need to lose and try to take some time out for myself and do relaxation exercises until I get better. I think stress is the worst thing for a persons health and I just need to learn to deal with things better. I am a constant worrier and I was even before all this bad stuff happened. I need to learn to change my thought processes. I read a quote somewhere that said " worrying is just praying for something bad to happen" so I try to stop myself now before horrid senerios go too far in my head. I guess we just need to look on the bright side of life and be thankful for the things that are going right eventhough it is hard at times. Take care.

Closed Thread