It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low Serum Iron, TIBC & Ferritin, what's wrong?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Question Low Serum Iron, TIBC & Ferritin, what's wrong?

Hi, all.

I just have my serum iron, TIBC tested to find out the reasons of low
    ferritin tested, following is the result

Serum Iron 8.8 (9.0-27.0) umol/L
    TIBC 38.1 (40.8-76.6) umol/L

And my Ferritin tested about one month ago was

Ferritin 34.2 ug/ml (6-159),
    VB12 245 pmol/l (156-672)
    folic acid (folate) >24 ng/l (3.2-6.4)

The following is what I had tested two month ago

MCV 93.1 (82.0-92.0)
    MCH 31.4 (27.0-31.0)
    MPV 8.2 (8.5-11.8)
    RBC 4.05 (3.50-5.50),
    PCV 37.70(35.00-50.00)
    Hgb 127 ( 110-150)
    WBC 5.9 (4.0-10.0)
    platelets counts 143 (100-300)

What type of Anemia I have? if someone is lack of iron, he/she would
    not have lower level of TIBC as I have, but high level, right? then,
    what's wrong with me and why? Would the VB12/VB complex treat that
    problem? Or there is anything else wrong with me? What
    other blood work I should have to confirm the diagnosis? transferritin? seems doubled? I think I am kinda Iron supplement intolerate for it sometimes caused contispation. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Re: Low Serum Iron, TIBC & Ferritin, what's wrong?

Hi, anyone here? waiting for replies.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Well you have iron deficiency anemia for sure. My MD recommends a ferrous fumarate form. 40 - 80 mg a day. Re check your levels in 4-6 weeks and increase or decrease levels accordingly.

You are suboptimal in B12. This indicates an malabsorption trend and supplementation is warranted there. A good super B complex should help there.

Your vit D girl.. ack! You need vit D.. that is what the folate is screaming for. Some can not get it from the sun well. I don't I take 2-3 viactive vita chews a day. Your MD may want to give you a D supplement script. You may have to call their attention to it though. They seem to over look things like that. *snort*

Good luck, I have been in your boat. Heck I am still paddling away. Supplementation helps. Make sure you have fiber on hand. Fumarate supplement did not cause near the constipation that other forms did. Ferrous Sulfate was the worst!

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-08-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, MD!

Yes! I strongly suspect that I am defficient on Vit D, I avoid the bright light always,(perhaps because of hypoT, or someone said it is adrenal fatigue, but after treatment of T4, I found I can stand in the sun more than before) I haven't had it tested, should have it next time.... and I heard that Vit D should be taken with Vit A for better absorption, and there are products combining them together. Is it true? Or only Vit D is OK?

For the anemia, could it be partially caused the frequent blood draw for tests? (weird question) I was drawed for at least 3 samples of blood stored in tubes every month! Each sample requires 20 mL of blood. I am taking Ferrous Fumarate as well as high fiber to prevent the contispation! There seems to be a patented iron supplement named "Ferrochel", better for absorption, don't know if it would cause contispation or not.

BTW, it seems that it is good for us to take multivitamins, but I checked many products, all of which contains 150 mcg of iodine, which is unsuitable for hashimoto's hypoT! Outch!

Jenny

Last edited by cutejenny77; 10-08-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I do the viactive vitachews for my vitamin D because they have vit K and Ca as well. Two a day appears to do the job for me.

I avoid the bright light of the sun as well. It hurts my eyes and can sometimes trigger a visual migraine if I stay out in it too long. I do try to get some sun in 15 minute bursts a few days a week. This will help you naturally produce vit D. Vitamin D is important. The major function of vitamin D in the human body is to maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D is known to aid in the absorption of calcium. Recent research suggests vitamin D may provide protection from osteoporosis(I have to say it DUH! if it helps improve Ca levels it will help fight this.. sorry I couldn't resist mocking the statement of the obvious in research findings), hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer, and several autoimmune diseases (I sure do not need anymore than the 4 or 5 I have now.. so I will supplement vit D ). as to added absorption of vit D. Some think folic acid can help, actual research data on it.

Vitamin D deficiency can cause muscle aches, weakness, and bone pain in people of all ages. I often wonder if many of the symptoms attributed to hypothyroidism are a result of the malabsorption effects of being low in thyroid hormones. Why do MDs not test vit D, B12 and the other rarer conditions more aggressively in hypoT patients? Is it laziness or are they saving the insurance companies a couple of buck? Who knows. I do wish we didn't have to do our own asking and care management, but if we are going to get competent care we have to take our MDs by the reigns.

For the anemia, could it be partially caused the frequent blood draw for tests? (weird question) I was drawed for at least 3 samples of blood stored in tubes every month! Each sample requires 20 mL of blood. I am taking Ferrous Fumarate as well as high fiber to prevent the contispation! There seems to be a patented iron supplement named "Ferrochel", better for absorption, don't know if it would cause contispation or not.

No it is not wierd at all. It is a good question, prepare for it.. lecture mode is coming on! Women can go a tad anemic during their menstrual flows if they have a poor iron fortified diet as well as Heavy long duration bleeds. However you can give blood every 6-8 weeks and not go anemic. When you give blood you give at least a pint. Anemia normally results from malabsorption of iron from our diet OR chronic blood loss. Day after day. On average a normal, healthy human donates a 450 ml or a pint of blood if they are willing. Studies show that the donator will fully recuperate from the blood loss in four to six weeks. The recovery process occurs in stages. After donating a unit of blood, the body automatically moves into replaces and recover mode. I can not replace all the minerals and red cells and such instantly so first it patchs the loss by retaining fluid and increasing white cell production during the first 24 hours. The next phase is to increase the platelets and plasma proteins within 48-72 hours. Then as iron and minerals and all the other special stuff is eaten a healthy person absorbs it and uses it in the body and to regenerate the red blood cells which takes 4-6 weeks for complete regeneration.

Now you are giving 60 ml every 4 weeks.. this is less than a seventh of what is given in a blood donation. Your body should be able to recover with in 1-2 weeks easy IF it was operating normally. You however are anemic before the blood draws and are in a constant anemia catch up phase. You need supplementation.

You can find some with out iodine. I take one with iodine these days. I thiknk it helps speed the destruction of my thyroid. The sooner it is dead the better. Every time it takes the KI and starts working my antibodies send in a new attack wave. The waves are getting less and less intense now that I am regulated on 88 mcgs. I will be heading up to 100 mcgs soon.

Good luck with your supplementation regime. It is a trial to juggle it all.
    MG

Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

For supplement, I am thinking if there is possibility to have all types of vitamins tested before adding them. That could not be covered by insurance company, seems that it belongs to nutrition other than treatement for diseases. I don't know much about the nutriology, it is the vitamin/healthy manufacturers that hire nutritionists to make their products. But I wonder they just take a general picture of possbile defficiency on some substances.

The sooner it is dead the better. ---why you said that, you want a full replacement of hormone and hope it would be destructed completely?
    and, I think I would move forwards to 100 soon, too.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I want my thyroid dead, because I am sick of the fluctuations. The fluxes make optimizing meds harder. If my thyroid was dead, no more worries with regards to fluxes and my Graves TSI causeing flares.

MG

Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User

I wish someone could explain why your TIBC is low, mine is too. But it's supposed to high when you are anemic, not low. Low means too much iron being absorbed.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tamsin View Post
    I wish someone could explain why your TIBC is low, mine is too. But it's supposed to high when you are anemic, not low. Low means too much iron being absorbed.
    Yes, I have the same question as you, when I take DV dose of iron supplement, I would like to have many orange juice to balance the iron. did you have your B12, folate tested? I have my HCY tested, but seems that it is normal, will have MMA tested further to confirm...if I am VB12 defficient.

HCY 9.70 (3.00-12.00)

Closed Thread