It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! Been VERY ill and have questions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! Been VERY ill and have questions?

Hi all~

I have been severly ill since last Friday with stomach flu or something. Major diarreah I know TMI! Lol... Bad stomach cramping etc.... I went to urgent care yesterday that is how bad it is I have not been able to eat much since last week....

My question for this board is IF I am having such bad diarreah will my thyroid meds still be working? Or am I just loosing the majority of them with the bowel movements? I feel quite bad today and am beginning to wonder if I am now NOT getting my thyroid meds in me correctly becuase of this stomach thing?
    ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of heading back to the ER by tomorrow if this doesn't stop. It is horrible. Uggg....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
    Catecourt
    (female)

Catecourt HB User
    Re: PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! Been VERY ill and have questions?

I do believe that the thyroid medication is still doing what it is supposed to and thats replacing the hormone. its not like you took the pill and immedicately threw it up....sorry, i know that sounds gross. All the these flu's going around now are definitely worse that what we used to get when we were kids and it is making you feel horrible. Keep taking the meds as directed and try to keep yourself hydrated!! very important! If you can't keep anything down and continue to have the diarrhea, go back to the ER and get an iv. But i do believe your thyroid meds are going to where they are supposed to, its just the flu bug getting you down.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Diarrhea should not effect your absorption rate too much. If your pill goes down and stays in an empty the stomach at least 15 minutes you should get at least 80% absorption. This applies to vomiting or purging out the nether region. Look into anti-diarrhetics that are calcium carbonate free. I am surprised they did not give you an anti-diaretic when you went to the urgent care. Can you take midol to ease the cramps?

Try and eat and drink small amounts continously to stave of dehydration. The treatment we had to use for the rotavirus rampages and flu in my family is a continual tea party. Just sipping 2 oz of water/fortified sports drinks every 5-10 minutes helped keep my son out of the hospital due to dehydration. Pedialyte while for children has properties to help with diarrhea and vomiting. It isn't cheap, but you may want to buy some to see you through the tail end of this. Did they test your Fts too make sure you were not having a thyroid flare and suffering from toxicosis? Best foods for you clear broths, apple sauce, bread and crackers.

I remember my first bout of food poisoning on meds. It was a rough 48 hours. Stomach ailments are not the way to lose 17 pounds safely. I am hoping that things take a turn for the better soon. Did they test you for the flu? If it is the flu and you get in early enough you can take tamiflu which really helps. We went through the flu twice 2 years back. Of coarse it was the year we all got flu shots. I swear if we get a flu shot, the powers that be make us get the flu just to prove a point. If we don't get a flu shot.. no flu. Funny huh! I wish you well soon.

MG

Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Thank-x for the help!!!

I was just getting worried that my meds weren't going to get into me with all the output I have been having! LOL.. I know TMI, TMI!!!!!

U know I don't think they even checked my thyroid levels yesterday. And I told them I take thyroid meds. These dr's and hospitals and urgent cares don't even check anything hardly anymore it seems like. He just said take some pepto! GEEZ......

Well I will give this another day and if nothing changes I will go to the ER this time and MAKE them do something... My mom thinks it is something more going on with my stomach. I have had stomach problems for a long time. Had gallbladder removed in Dec of 2006. Problems every since!!

Now I feel real clammy and my temp keeps jumping around. I will feel hot inside or cold then clammy and my temp goes from real low like 97.6 to normal. Crazy.... My body is trying to fix something that is wrong and it is fighting I can tell... lol

UGGG..... STOP THIS RIDE I WANT OFF..................

What are signs of toxicosis??

Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
    VRL
    (female)

VRL HB User

I had a flu thing 2 weeks ago and I'm on thyroid meds too. I did continue to take my thryoid meds but I laid off my other meds for the 2 days I lived in the bathroom. The thing that helped me the most was Pedialyte (clear). The gatorade upset my stomach more. Also, jello. Those were the only 2 things I could keep down to try and keep hydrated. I was a mess. Dehydration will cause your temp to rise. Its a vicious cycle.
    Just recently read about somehting "Thyroid Storm" in the book, "Thyroid for Dummies". Boy that sounds like what I went through. Especially since my thyroid has swollen since this flu bout.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I know it is crazy isn't it?!?!

I'm still having allot of pain and a little of loose bowels. I don't know what to think or do anymore. Today it has been exactly ONE WEEK since this all started. BUT I do have stomach pain, bloating, nausea, gerd every single day of my life. So it makes it hard for me to know if this is just a real bad flu bug or if something more is actually going on and I guess without getting into a GI dr which for me could take a good month or so I won't know for sure. Ugg......

I wonder if you can get a thyroid storm even though the thyroid is supposedly dead from RAI??????? All that stuff is so scary. Except I think (not sure) but I think you have to have a high temp for a thyroid storm. Is that correct?? My temp really never went above 99.8.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

Post deleted.

Last edited by one2wonder; 04-14-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
    VRL
    (female)

VRL HB User

What I read a high fever goes with a thyroid storm. So maybe you have that nasty flu. To overcome the stomach problems I did strictly clear liquids and very low sugar beverages. I tuffed it out and didn't use any anti-gas OTC. I figured things were going to be what they were. It was almost like a case of food poisining. It came on suddenly with no warning. The most violent part lasted 14 straight hours and it took me a week to get over all the soreness. I still have the swollen thyroid. Going for an ulta sound next week.
    I hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread