It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TMI but...having a second period this month!? TSH 150

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User
    Unhappy TMI but...having a second period this month!? TSH 150

well this has happened to me only one time before.
    my TSH was 119 and i had 3 periods in one month! was finally getting that number down and now just went through painful thyroiditis where i guess it killed itself and my TSH was 150 and so i went back on my meds and been on them again for maybe a week and now im having my 2nd period of the month.
    im sure my hormones are alllll out of whack but just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? is it harmful at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User
    Re: TMI but...having a second period this month!? TSH 150

I wish I could be more helpful, but I wanted you to know you're not alone. My problem, however, is the exact opposite. I frequently only have a period every 2 or 3 months. I know that sounds like a blessing (especially in your care, you poor thing!) but when you have major fertility issues because of it, it's definitely NOT a blessing. Also, my hormones seem to build up terribly. I get breast tenderness, moodiness, headaches and the like for up to 2 months sometimes. Then, when it finally comes, it's TERRIBLY painful and very heavy. I was just recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer, but it was so big and nasty they think I've had it for years. I've been previously diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS, but I now wonder how much is/was related to my thyroid. When you say you had thyroiditis, do you mean you went through a procedure to kill your thyroid, something like RAI? I was just wondering why you were off your meds. Finally, I would check with your Dr. about this issue, just to be sure it's not harmful or to see if there's something you can do about it (like be on birth control to regulate your period). Best of luck!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

I have had 2 per month for the past yr. My gyn offered provera but I said no thanks as long as Im not anemic from it Ill continue until the thyroid gets in optimal levels.
    I no its not fun but I don't want another drug.. I just wish I had my thyroid back lol.
    wow three doesn't give you much of a break! If you hang in there though when your levels come down you should regulate again.
    kathy

Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User

thank ya'll for replying.

no i didnt have RAI. I had a virus and the virus made me get acute painful thyroiditis which killed it i guess. my body killed it. i had stopped taking my pills because when you get painful thyroiditis your TSH levels go normal then hyper then back hypo. and after mine went hyper i starting having anxiety and stuff really bad so i stopped taking my meds and called my dr and told them i needed to have my blood taken because i wasent feeling the best and stopped my meds, so i went and had my TSH done and it was 150.
    I wil probably just wait it out and see if it fixes on its own i dont want to be on any birth control.

The only thing i can find online is exactly what you said you go though , missing periods...i wonder why mine is complete opposite?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
    arizo01
    (female)

arizo01 HB User

I started having heavy periods and when I told my doctor she sent me a transabdominal and transvaginal pelvic ultrasound and the conclusion is that I might have adenomyosis which is a milder case of endometriosis, I have to get an MRI next week to either confirm the diagnosis or rule it out. When I told my endo that my periods became heavier than the usual he said it was my thyroid and I guess he was right because as soon as I was regulated with medicine it went back to the way it was. Now I had surgery to remove my thyroid about a month and a half ago and I already had my period and it wasn't bad either, I guess I'm still regulated, although I don't know for sure what my numbers are until next december when they do a blood test. So I guess you should have your thyroid regulated and tell this to the endocrinologist, he might tell you that it is in fact your tsh being high but if I were you I would see my ob-gyn, just to be covered.
    Good luck to you!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User

i cant afford to see a endo right now .... i see a internalist.
    im so upset with him right now though. i called him and i can barely understand him because he speaks very broken english and studders then he says i should give my meds time to work and that he cant tell me if its my thyroid causing me to have another period or not but i might be "ovulating" !!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? i know that you can have some bleeding in between cycles because of ovulation but not another period! ugh im so aggravated. then he said if its not my thyroid it might have something to do with my ovaries.
    my hormones are obviously going crazzzy lol.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
    arizo01
    (female)

arizo01 HB User

Can you change doctors? I would if I didn't feel comfortable, is your body and you have a right to do so if you want to, may be if you have a female doctor she would understand better given that it is a female thing, I don't know what to say, too bad you can't go to a endocrinologist, that would help a lot, he is right though when he say you have to give time for the meds to kick in, in my case it took more than a month for my hair to stop falling after I started my medication. Be patient and wait a few weeks, I know is a bummer, I hate having my period once a month, I can't imagine what could be like to have it 3 times!!

Closed Thread