It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Newly diagnosed HyperT & frustrated!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
    nutty70
    (female)

nutty70 HB User
    Newly diagnosed HyperT & frustrated!

Hi. I have a TSH of < 0.004 (low end 0.34). Started on PTU 1 week ago and am ticked off at my GP. He has not given me a referral to an endo yet. I've left several messages this week.

A little history: 37 yrs old, no vices (other than books & chips!) unable to conceive for 1 & 1/2 yrs. OB/GYN measured T4? and it was on low end? in 1/05 but not enough to blame infertility on thyroid. Became pregnant last July and miscarried in August. We are still broken-hearted over this.

I had my right ovary in July 08 because we found out it had turned into a smooth muscle tumor, then my world was turned inside out (more).

About a week later I had an acute onset of depression (I thought it was anyway) and ended up in the ER room because they thought I might hurt myself. They found a low TSH and told me to have it rechecked.

My GP checked only a TSH even though I asked about the FT3 and T4 being done. Got the result and he wanted to put me on methimazole. I asked for PTU because of the baby thing. He did finally draw for baseline FT3 & T4 at least. Still waiting on those #s!

I have all the classic HyperT symptoms but then last Saturday I was lucky enough to visit the ER again because I felt a HUGE pressure on my chest and felt like I could not get enough air. ER just said I was hyperventiliating. NO ONE could explain WHY I hyperventilated. Is this a problem with HyperT? I didn't think it was T storm so soon even though I have not been faithfully taking PTU every 8 hours.

I have always been a healthy person aside from not fitting in the insurance weight range. I lost 25 lbs in 40 days too. My brain goes on strike ALL the time now.

My head hurts, my throat is sore, my lower chest/upper abdominal area hurts. My pysch had put me on Cymbalta, Vyvanse, & Atenolol during the day and trazodone & ambien to sleep. This is all before the TSH was known. Thought all the symptoms were because of depression. They helped make me feel more human but I STILL feel crappy and I hate it.

I feel like all they want me to do is take drugs! Can you help me get my head clear of this?

Last edited by nutty70; 10-13-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added a blip and fixed a typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed HyperT & frustrated!

Hi there hon and no you are not"nutty!" You have miscarried(I'm am so sorry for your loss,my heart goes out to you) you have a low tsh,you have lost a big amount of weight in a short time, have ended up in the ER, and your doctors are treating you for depression and or anxiety.YES definitely you are hyper. It might be that you were originally hypo,low t-4 , hard to conceive.... then you shifted, this happens it seems to your age group?The being out of breath is a big hyper sign, I had it too at the beginning, I was walking into a store with my daughter and grandson and didn't want to scare her, I must have turned white as a ghost, it happened again to me at the supper table, with my elderly Mom and husband,I prayed to get me through it.I would lay there in bed and thought I was having a heart attack, I had to take sleeping pills for terrible insomnia.PLEASE take the meds for your thyroid! I have been on the meds for 2 years and that stuff is a distant memory,until I hear someone like you who is going through the same thing...
    You should find out if you have Graves from an antibody test, ask the doc for a TSI test, if it's positive for TSI you probably have it, normal people don't have thyroid stimulating antibodies.There's a couple of more antibody tests that Graves test positive for,anti tpo and anti thyroglobulin. You might hold off on getting pregnant till you have this under control, having high antibodies may cause you to miscarry or have the antibodies cross the placenta. All those anti depressants won't help that much till the thyroid hormones go into normal levels. It can really mess with your head, that little thyroid gland is like the thermostat of your body,if it's off you feel like crap.Don't feel like you're crazy, these things are all normal if you're hyper. keep after the docs to make sure you get the right tests, it seems that it's the most under diagnosed illness, yet the symptoms are so textbook! Docs must spend 10 minutes on thyroid disease in med school!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 10-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
    nutty70
    (female)

nutty70 HB User

Did you need beta-blockers in the initial stages of anti-thyroid meds? I am glad my psychiatrist started me on those because it helped reduce the feeling of my heart about to bust out of my chest. Did it take you long before these signs resolved? Will they ever?

I see from other posts that insomnia or even difficulty staying asleep may continue, even on meds. Does this seem common?

As far as a pregnancy...I am turning 38 in a few weeks and know my time is limited. It is so hard for me to put off seeing our fertility doc again and realizing our dream of a child. I try not to think of it because then I start to get depressed again. I am afraid to stop the anti-depressants.

I have read the other posts and my symptoms sound so similar. It helps to know others are able to be "normal" again. I apologize for all my questions. I have been researching but this site really helps. Thank you for "being" there.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi again and don't worry about asking questions. I think the fact that there are boards like this help so many people! Even to just ask questions of their doctors,I think because of this we as women are becoming so much more pro active with our health, but there are still some docs that just think"give her a pill and keep her quiet." Not that some pills aren't helpful but often doesn't get to the root of the problem.
    I was never prescribed betas, my docs thought my bp was too low for them. The meds for hyper (Graves) helps in a short time. As far as insomnia, yes I still have some sleep problems but am not on Lunesta anymore(not a bad drug but sick of the expense and taking it every nite) It does help though at the beginning especially, it was awful, the rapid heart,anxiety, and my levels of thyroid hormone weren't bad at all. It's scary though, but something about finding out what it IS makes you feel better too, like.. I'm not crazy or whatever... It's a disease that messes with your head at first. Here I was two years ago not knowing what the heck a thyroid was! Now I give advice, or at least try to help. You will get there too...promise!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
    nutty70
    (female)

nutty70 HB User

Well I am glad you are here to give advice. I do feel better (less anxious ) from these posts!

I do have an appointment to see my pyschiatrist Tuesday. I am wondering if I had an anxiety attack the previous Saturday that ended up with me in the ER. How did you deal with the anxiety and breathing issues? At the ER they put me on a non-rebreather unit so I would take in more CO2. That wasn't enough so they gave me Ativan too. I finally relaxed and they could run other tests on me. He has been more available timewise and informative then my GP! Go figure.

I also read in another post about different generations of TSH tests. What are the differences in the generations? Are they more accurate or sensitive? I guess if they are then why wouldn't all TSH tests consist of the newer gen? Thanks for "listening" to a newbie .

Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I always have third generation tsh but don't know the difference between them.I had been on xanax before Graves for the anxiety that comes with it but didn't know then it was Graves,and started to cut the dose to get off them, I thought I was having withdrawal!! But it was the hyperthyroid.I stopped the xanax anyway and just kind of suffered through the anxiety. I would only get it at night because I was scared about the rapid heart and pulse, so when I took the Lunesta I would just fall asleep.It was a Godsend at the time.After I got on the anti thyroid meds I was not having the rapid heart so the anxiety faded away.I stopped taking the Lunesta too, I cut down from 2 mgs to 1 mg and then just got off them with no problem. The anti anxiety meds do help in the beginning. Just don't get "hooked" on them...always wean off slowly after you think you don't need them. Of course if you have to take them occasionally, that's okay.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 10-13-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

When I was diagnosed hyper back in June, my GP put me on a beta blocker right away, as my resting heart rate was 120.

I'm still taking them, six weeks into tapazole, because I'm still having issues with racing and thumping heartbeats.

I've not, however, taken any sleep aids.

Charisse

Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Nutty,

I have some threads that may help you.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=640036[/url]

This woman is going through something similar to you. Given you mentioned low T4 levels. I suspect if your TSH is low you have too look into Hashimoto's and T3-Toxicosis. You should also test for Graves and evaluate your adrenal function. I Good thyroid savvy Endo will do this.. HOWEVER they are not a dime a dozen. Out of about 10 Endos in my area.. none are good with rarer thyroid issues. Give them diabetes anyday of the week. Autoimmune thyroid issues and they about break out the garlic and crosses like you are some blood sucking fiend.

You will get better. I was T3 toxicosis and normal T4 during my one and only pregnancy. Afterward i had high T3 levels consistantly ignored by my MDS. I had to find the right MD to treat me and I had to drive the treatment. The MDs are mechanics. The try and treat each symptom individually. RARELY do they look at the whole and try to find the source of an issue. TOO time consuming. OH, my SIL is an MD. SHe is an OB. They were given a 15 minute seminar on endocrine disorders and told to read chapter X. They were tested on it once and that was that.

i am betting Hashimoto's, but I will not rule out Graves. You can have both. You may alos want to look into insulin resistance and PCOS. I am 33 and my husband and I want to try and have a second child. Too date my health has not been favorable. I am sorry for your loss, but if it is just thyroid in origin. If managed properly you can achieve your goal.

MG

Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
    nutty70
    (female)

nutty70 HB User

If I have a TSH <0.004 and "normal" FT3 & FT4 then is it subclinical hyperthyroidism? I really appreciate you all for replying . I feel better when I read your posts. I still have yet to get a referral to an Endo.

The staff keeps telling me that my file is on the MDs's desk . When he called to tell me that my TSH was low, I asked about testing my other values. He actually said "Isn't a low TSH enough of a diagnosis?" The funny thing is that I work in a veterinary office and we frequently see hyperthryoid cats. The DVM I work for asked about the antibodies and all the things that should have been run. I wish I could have him draw my blood and send in for a thorough thyroid panel! We perform better labs on our four-legged patients then I am getting. You aren't kidding when you say MDs are mechanics.

I asked him about continuing my beta-blocker while starting PTU. "When your HR is back to normal then you can stop the atenolol" How do I know when my HR is normal if I stay on the beta-blocker? I think I will stay on it because my HR was consistently over 100 bpm and my BP was >140/95 before I started the betas.

I also can't fall asleep unless I take my trazodone. I've having weird dreams too. Is this part of hyperT? I had a melt down at work on Monday. Sat in the bathroom crying for 5 minutes. I sure feel like I am becoming mental .

Then on Tuesday, my pysch upped my Cymbalta and Vyvanse so I could feel human again & function. He also gave me a 'script for Ativan to use as needed. I think I needed it on Monday! I see my future full of these drugs until I can get into an endo. I don't want to be on them but it seems to be the only way I can function.

As far as a pregnancy, each month I am afraid I could become pregnant and am terrified about the dangers to a fetus with the meds. I may have to go back to some type of contraceptive until I can get back to normal. By the time that happens I may not have any non-shriveled up eggs left! The thread suggested by MG helps me see some light but as I turn 38 I have to wonder if I have to choose between this crappy disease and a child.

MG, when you say your health has been unfavorable recently, is it due to the hyperT? I hope you & your husband can have your second child. Thanks again.

Fora

Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Nutty,

I am a RARE endocrine mess. I am not your classic HyperT. I have Hashimoto's and Graves disease. A casualty of my hyperT/hypoT tug-o-war has been my adrenal gland function. When my adrenals went I developed what is known as T3 toxicosis. This was bad until my thyroid was killed off to the degree it didn't make enough hormone to be an issue. However when I started supplementing my hormones my uninhibited T4 to T3 conversion became evident and my adrenal issues needed to be addressed. So after treating my hypoadrenalism, Graves issues, and the secondary hypothyroidism/hashimoto's I felt I should be better. Well my body gave me another problem. Insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia. This is a pre-diabetic state. If left unchecked it will convert into Diabetes Type II. SOOOooo.. I will not try to conceive until I get my FT4 levels up and stable in the 60-80% range of normal (so far I have been holding at the 10-20% region which is insufficient for a fetal cognitive development needs) and trying to get all my other endocrine systems back in line. My first pregnancy was hard enough on me. Heck it almost killed me. If I can not get optimal there is no telling what a ssecond one will do. So If I am to have a second child it will happen. If not I have been blessed with a big healthy boy. Given my health issues I was told to consider 35 as my upper limit. The risks to any fetus and me after that age go up 25-30%. I am not sure I want to take those risks. Risks increase again at the age of 40. However I know they are getting these age caps from statistics and each person will have different age progression rates. My mom's mom had 13 kids. Scary! Anyway she was good through her mid 30's after that she started having stillborn children and late term miscarriages. Eight of the ten surviving children are still with us. Two succumbed to scarlet fever and another illness during the depression era. My mom is the oldest of the five living daughters had her last child at 28 and went through early menopause. I suspect the early menopause was untreated thyroid conditions.. BUT there is no way to go back in time and tell. Most of my Aunts were only able to have one child (Hashimoto's and hypoT sufferers). Many ended up with hysterectomies. Only my Graves Disease Aunt N had four children. Her last was unplanned and after the age of 40. She had had her tubes tied and snipped. The GREW BACK TOGETHER and she had a son 13 years after her last child. He was a premie, 28 weeks, spent MONTHS in the hospital.. but now he plays football and is as rough and tumble as the other boys.

The low T4 risks are not an issue in hyperTs. More complications arise to affect the mother than the fetus. The key factor i have been tossing around and wrestling with is.. given my never ending crop of autoimmune issues do I want to risk having a daughter and cursing her to my fate. A son at least has an 80% chance at normalcy. If my family history holds true any daughter of mine can be nicknamed hashimoto's and graves bait. Four of my mom's five sisters have confirmed autoimmune thyroid issues. The outlier refuses to test herself and could careless about being fat and moody. You have to know her to understand. My mom's three older living brothers are fine. No sign of endocrine dysfunction. My father's side has diabetes, thyroid, and adrenal issues.. only in the ladies. All the males are clear. Lucky ducks! *SNORT*

Even knowing my risks and the statistics I have to have hope that if I control myself and watch my child's health closely, I can insure they live a productive quality filled life. Problems can happen with or with out a thyroid issue. My SIL is an OB and I hear all the horror stories about what can happen. She tells me to get my levels optimal and go for it. I am an innate worrier, so I am still worrying. In the meantime I am getting myself optimal for my son and husband and everyone else. If I am at my best I can be an influencial part of my family and make sure that the mistakes MDs and others have done to me and in my presence are not repeated. If I am ment to have a second child I will, my main guilt is that I only want a boy. Because if I have a girl she might suffer as I have and the women before me. I hope that you get relief soon and that you get to a thyroid savvy MD that helps you.

As far as the betas are concerned. When you no longer have a need for them, they will suppress your heart rate and blood pressure to low normal/subnormal levels. When your BP hits the 110/60-70 mark consistantly morning and night.. then you can ween yourself off the betas. This is the guideline my electrophysiology cardiologist gave me. I check my BP and HR three times a day. I am in the 115-120/70-80 region on my pindolol right now. If I get off of it I jump back up into the 135-145/80-90 region. SO I am perfect on my betas and need to hold on them.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-16-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Closed Thread