It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• heart palpitations - thyroid related?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
    zarla
    (female)

zarla HB User
    Wink heart palpitations - thyroid related?????

I have been aware of my heartbeat, feels like it beating hard, for a number of months. I have had ECG, EEG, Scans and chest xrays which have proved inconclusive. As my father passed away recently due to sudden iscemic heart attack it was thought that I was over sensitive to the symptoms.

I have been feeling increasingly short of breath for a while, could all this be due to some hormonal/thyroid stuff? All the other things that go wrong with me are!?! LOL!

What can happen to the heart/valves/circulation etc when you are hypothyroid. I have been taking Thyroxine for about 8 years now, have I been overmedicated and done some damage? I am so confused i don't know what to think.

Z

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
    Re: heart palpitations - thyroid related?????

Zarla...I felt my heart beating everyday for over 3 years.

It was not beating fast but I could feel it.

Once I started taking thyroid pills it was gone.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
    waratah
    (female)

waratah HB User

Hi zarla,

I'm also Hashi's and I'd have to say yes to the thyroid related heart palpitations, as I also get these. Recently my thyroid replacement was reduced by half, and the heart palpitations returned and now refuse to subside again.
    So. More blood work today, when results come, if TSH is rising, I'm going to increase the dose again and see if palpitations go away.
    Good luck, waratah

Last edited by waratah; 10-12-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
    zarla
    (female)

zarla HB User
    Thumbs up Re: heart palpitations - thyroid related?????

Hi,
    thank you for your suggestions. I did drop my own meds a number of months ago, just by a tiny amount but anything is significant with this thyroid madness!

I may try it up to where it was before and see what happens, i know it's a safe dose for me so no real harm to do I suppose.

The docs say there is "turbulence over one of my valves" but didn't come up with why.

The feeling is weird, almost as if it's having to work harder and thumping it's way out thru your chest-! It doesn't go any faster than normal though, I don't drink coffee etc so its not anything like that.

Any other suggestions or similar experiences would be really useful to read, I love this site as there is always someone out there to make sense of what is going on. Stops the panic that you can feel when going through these things alone.

Thank you!

Zarla

Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

hi there

before i was diagnosed with hypo/hashi's, heart palps was one of my symptoms. that along with panic attacks, tachycardia, etc.

when i started a low dose of levothyroxine, i saw a cardio as a precaution, had the Echocardiogram done, ruled out MVP, everything was fine there. lung xrays, etc. ok.

i'm not sure when my heart palps stopped exactly, but somewhere along the way, after some slow medication increases, i finally stabilized.

recently after i tried another levoxyl increase, they came back. they slowly decreased a few days after i dropped the dose.

so ultimately, for me, if i am on too little a dose or too high a dose, my heart palps start up. at least with the testing i've had done, i know its not a dangerous heart condition. palps, while very uncomfortable to experience, are not dangerous at least. i just know it means i need a med change.

hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
    GodHand
    (male)

GodHand HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zarla View Post
    I have been aware of my heartbeat, feels like it beating hard, for a number of months. I have had ECG, EEG, Scans and chest xrays which have proved inconclusive. As my father passed away recently due to sudden iscemic heart attack it was thought that I was over sensitive to the symptoms.

I have been feeling increasingly short of breath for a while, could all this be due to some hormonal/thyroid stuff? All the other things that go wrong with me are!?! LOL!

What can happen to the heart/valves/circulation etc when you are hypothyroid. I have been taking Thyroxine for about 8 years now, have I been overmedicated and done some damage? I am so confused i don't know what to think.

Z
    This was the boat I was in a few years ago, and it has taken me a while to get over it, albeit I am still not over it 100%. I basically had the same "problems" you do. I was very aware of my heart beating and noticed skipped beats quite regularly. I had an Echo/EKG/Holter, etc. all done and all came back fine other than benign PVCs that have significantly reduced over time. I also became aware of my breathing to the point that I was short of breath at rest but was OK when exercising usually.

Things have gotten better with mental positiveness, as I know there's nothing wrong with my body to cause these reactions. A doctor has told me it's a sufficient amount of anxiety and over-worrying that's causing my symptoms.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
    lisaann1
    (female)

lisaann1 HB User

I have had heart palps on and off for the past several years but I dont think it has anything to do with my thyroid. I've had several EKG's, worn a 24 hour heart monitor, event monitors, had a couple of echo's and a couple stress tests. All came back normal. I was aware of my heart beating and when I would lay on my left side, I could actually feel my heart beating up against my chest wall (atleast thats what it felt like). I knew that potassium and magnesium play a role in muscle/heart function, so I started taking a magnesium supplement and I ate a couple of bananas a day for several days in a row. My symtoms subsided drastically. Right after the birth of my son I started having really bad palps. I told the doc at the hospital that I was probably low on potassium and mag. He looked at me like I was an idiot, so I asked him to do bloodwork. Sure enough, I was right. Both were low. They gave me a potassium pill and started me on an IV of magnesium. Soon my symptoms disappeared.
    Occassionally I will get a flare up, so I start again on the banana and magnesium pills.

Closed Thread