It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Stopping Armour - Bummed Out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User
    Stopping Armour - Bummed Out

i really was hoping Armour was the answer to my dreams. it certainly did give me nice feelings of energy that i haven't had in years, but i was on a roller coaster ride. i just couldn't get the right combo of armour and levoxyl.

i wish someone had the magic answer for how i can manage to be on both because levoxyl alone isn't enough. the lowest dose of armour i was taking was 1/4 of a 30 grain, and it was too much twice a day. i tried it once a day, then once every other day, but that didnt work either.

so i'm bummed out. hoping anyone with armour experience might shed some light on this and give me some advice. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: Stopping Armour - Bummed Out

I know you have been told this, before, but your reaction, to even a tiny dose of Armour is a textbook example of low Cortisol, or if not low Cortisol, then poor response to the need for Cortisol, so that it isn't higher when you need it.

PLEASE get your adrenals checked, and if the doc tells you, that all is well and normal, do not take that as gospel. READ. a book like "Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome".

That book is a FANTASTIC reference on how to take care of yourself and improve your adrenal response naturally. I am sure there are others, but that one is one I have read and can attest to being very helpful. T

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by moderator2; 10-13-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

What type of reaction did you have to the Armour?

What were you trying to acheive by adding Armour?

I was on just Armour for 2 years then off of it and went to Thyrolar2/cytomel combo now back to Amour..........

It is maddening with the meds......... Oleander

Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

thanks meep - my recent cortisol was in the high end of normal, and my dhea was good too ( i get copies of all my labs). i don't mean to discount your advice, but i really don't think my adrenals are off. i've just always been sensitive to medication - even before my thyroid wiped out.

oleander - i was hoping the armour would give me a boost, since any increase of the t4 meds alone gave me hyper problems (heart palps, twitchy muscles, etc.). the idea that armour would supply me with t1, t2, and calcitonin, was also appealing to me. ultimately i was hoping that i could go off synthetics entirely and eventually be on just the armour alone.

the problem with the armour is i'd be too speedy with energy like an overdose of caffeine. my sleep was all messed up too. i couldnt' find a middle ground. it was sure nice experiencing an overflow of energy but it was too much and i know its not healthy.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

I remember you posting that, before. One of the things to keep in mind is that high cortisol tests are an early precursor to adrenal fatigue. Extreme med sensitivity, and allergies are big indicators.

What often happens is that your response is slow to the stimulus, ACTH, that tells the adrenals to make Cortisol. To make up for the slow response, the adrenals release adrenaline. Meanwhile your adrenal glands are churning away, and eventually your Cortisol rises to a point that is "good" on a test--even high-normal.

the thing is, even the stress of going to the doctor's office and getting blood drawn can and will raise your cortisol level, and a baseline cortisol that is taken with any amount of stress present is invalid.

An ACTH Stim test that tests your adrenal glands' ability to respond to stress would be very revealing, here.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, Scoot. I didn't have experience on Armour, but did have bad experience on another brand of natural thyroid with obvious sleep disorder as you mentioned. Quiting it did end the adverse effect. Nothing is perfect as people claim it is, including Armour.

Last edited by cutejenny77; 10-14-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Thyrolar2 and Cytomel combo gave me an awesome boost but I have been taken off of it and put back on Armour......I can take 3 Grains of Armour at night and go right to sleep.......cannot tell any difference when I take it.

I am sorry you had that experience.......Medications are so individual......

What else have you tried.? Oleander

Closed Thread