It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 12 days post total thyroidectomy -- help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
    misswells
    (female)

misswells HB User
    12 days post total thyroidectomy -- help?

hello, had total thyroidectomy for grave's on 10/2, was severely hyper when went in. Told to wait two weeks before starting replacement therapy, trying to interpret labs now, feeling crappy today, can you tell me what this means, I am confused.... (is columbus day so doc is out of office)

Elevated WBC -- 15.3 (3.8-10.8) (I may have an infection somewhere or is this normal after surgery?)

thyroxine - Free -- 0.7 (0.8-1.8)
    t3 uptake -- 28.5 (22-35)

TSH -- 0.01 .4-4.5

Should I be starting the armour now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: 12 days post total thyroidectomy -- help?

**Bump**

Your free T4 is very low -- hypothyroid level. But I can't tell you for sure whether to start replacement med yet, because I don't know that much about hyperT and TT. My assumption is that when your free hormone levels are below range, it's time for some replacement. Hope you get your answer soon.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misswells View Post
    hello, had total thyroidectomy for grave's on 10/2, was severely hyper when went in. Told to wait two weeks before starting replacement therapy, trying to interpret labs now, feeling crappy today, can you tell me what this means, I am confused.... (is columbus day so doc is out of office)

Elevated WBC -- 15.3 (3.8-10.8) (I may have an infection somewhere or is this normal after surgery?)

thyroxine - Free -- 0.7 (0.8-1.8)
    t3 uptake -- 28.5 (22-35)

TSH -- 0.01 .4-4.5

Should I be starting the armour now?

With a FT4 below range I would say it is definitely time to start medication. The only place it will go from here is down without meds so you really have no choice. You may find that your doc works off the TSH (I hope not!) and shys away from treating yet because it appears Hyper. TSH takes a while to catch up with reality though and in my opinion you need to start meds.

Did they test your FT3 too?

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
    Adrenal Fatigue
    180mg NTH
    28mg HC
    2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
    misswells
    (female)

misswells HB User

Thank you both. My doctor's disagree on whether to start, one is a surgeon, one is my GP, I am going to start since I feel crappy. I did not know that it takes awhile for TSH lab to catch up, thanks for the tip!

Closed Thread