It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Pregnancy test and hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
    dec305
    (female)

dec305 HB User
    Pregnancy test and hypothyroid

I am eight days late and I think I am pregnant but my home test comes back neg. I have been sick (stomach bug) so I think my synthroid is not in my system like it should be. Could this give me a false neg.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Pregnancy test and hypothyroid

Go to the doctor and get a blood drawn pregnancy test evaluation. At the same time get an Ft3 and Ft4 run. You want your FT4 in the 60-80% range. If it is below 40% and you are pregnant you need an increase in dosage.

A late period can be the result of you still being hypothyroid. You may not be pregnant. The best way to tell this close to your period is the pregnancy blood hormone test. There is always a chance that the urine test will give you a false negative. Your thyroid state should not effect the detection of your pregnancy, it can affect if you get pregnant and the duration/intensity of your periods.

How long have you been on synthroid and what were your last TSH and Ft4 and Ft3 levels and ranges?

MG

Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
    dec305
    (female)

dec305 HB User

I have been on my meds for three years I was last tested about six months ago and my levels where normal.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Normal is not always optimal. Many MDs leave you undertreated. What were your last levels and their associated ranges. Where you are in NORMAL range does make a difference.

Here are two threads I think you should look over, they may have some information that can help you. Getting my MDs to treat me optimally has been a chore. However I have about five endocrine issues to address so I am not an easy case to fix.

General thyroid care and concerns post dealing with treatment issues and level calculations and much more..
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

My OB and MFMs take on hypothyroidism/hashimoto's treatment and care before and during pregnancy...
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=585150[/url]

I am wishing you the best of luck.
    MG

Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
    dec305
    (female)

dec305 HB User

Thank you so much!!! You really did help.

Closed Thread