It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Ergocalciferol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User
    Ergocalciferol?

Hi all

Due to my lower Vitamin D results on recent labs, I started taking a vitamin D supplement.

My doctor wants me to go on Ergocalciferol 50,000 units once a week for 6 weeks.

I am so distrustful of doctors and medications. Does anyone here use Ergocalciferol? Why can't I just use the vitamin D supplements I get from my naturopath? What's the diff?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
    lisaann1
    (female)

lisaann1 HB User
    Re: Ergocalciferol?

I am in the same boat. I just got lab results back Monday and my vitamin d was 28. The range is 32 to 100. My endo also prescribed 50,000 iu of vitamin d to take once a week for 6 weeks. I picked up the prescription yesterday and its still sitting unopened on my counter. I'm a little afraid to take such a high dose.
    I dont know much about vit. d, but I think there are two different types. One is derivied from plant sources (D2) and the other from animal sources (D3). I think the ergocalciferol takes longer to synthesis in the body and isnt asbsorbed as well. Check out Dr. Mercola's website and search vitamin D. He just put out an article on vitamin d a few weeks ago.

Last edited by lisaann1; 10-16-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Here's the NIH page on vitamin D ~
    [url] http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp [/url]
    Scroll about 1/4 down the page to "Dietary Supplements", which explains the difference in D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol). Most doctors tell their patients to take D3. Mine did. This factsheet also says that D3 may be more effective. I don't know what reason your MD has for advising you the opposite way.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

Oh thank you so much both of you!

In the meantime I asked my naturopath about the ergocalciferol too. She said she prefers D3. the ergo-stuff is D2. She said D3 is easier for our bodies to absorb and metabolize.

I just don't understand western medicine's approach. My distrust and skepticism of them grows every time I deal with them. I'm not going to take the ergo.

My supplement which I ran past my naturopath is 100% RDA of D3. I'm going to stick with that and see how my labwork looks in a couple months.

THANK YOU!

Closed Thread