It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Nodule size not shown on past thyroid scan or CT ent ordering u/s

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User
    Nodule size not shown on past thyroid scan or CT ent ordering u/s

I was recently dx w/ nodules on thyroid found on a Ct scan that I had for a lymph node in neck. A thyroid uptake was then done and showed nodules. Dr referred me to ENT for possible biopsy & he wants an ultrasound to tell the size of nodules before doing anything. I find it strange the size was never shown on the other tests? I have normal TSH levels but tested higher for antibodies. I have gained a ton of weight & feel like crap. The ENT already sounded like he was shrugging those symptoms off. I explained Hashimotos runs in the family. Ultrasound is tomorrow. Has anyone had all this before nodule bx?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Nodule size not shown on past thyroid scan or CT ent ordering u/s

The ENT doesn't really care about thyroid symptoms, the ENT is more focused on the nodule and making sure it's nothing (which most are nothing).

The ultrasound is a good way to measure size, the uptake scan says if it's hot or cold, if it's cold it's got a teeny more chance of cancer (though still unlikely).

If the nodule is around a cm, the next step would be a needle biopsy.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I was scared to death when they found my nodules........

I was very symptomatic before my nodules were found.....I also had a CT scan for a different reason( heart CT) and one nodule was discovered......so I had an ultrasound and 4 dominant nodules were found that did not show up on CT scan. I was tired, gained 30 pounds in one year.....depressed and just was not myself....my labs were pretty normal and antibodies normal range.

Now 2 years later and about 7 opinions later I know I have Hashi's, have a yearly ultrasound to check changes in my many nodules and am on thyroid medication.......I am feeling much better and have lost my 30 pounds........I do not want to lead you astray.....much exercise, diet changes, plus found out I had insulin resistance so it was many things that got my weight back down. I am on thyroid meds, insulin resistance meds and blood pressure meds. But I feel like I have my life back again.

I still have my thyroid and my nodules but all is well for now.

Reece's advice is correct......I also had an uptake scan and my nodules were fine so I watch them.

Let us know what happens

Oleander

Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

Thank you for the reply It helped me . It is nice to know others have been there.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Ree.......... If you have already not done so get the Book Thyroid for dummies.....even medical people think it is good. Now I do not agree with them about suppression of nodules.......I take medication to suppress my nodules and I feel it works well for me........but the book is excellent.

Let us know what you find out........and between you and me? Most ENT's are grumpy.

Let us know what goes on.....Oleander

Closed Thread