It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How is Hashimotos diagnosed if TSH normal? Antibodies are in higher range?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User
    How is Hashimotos diagnosed if TSH normal? Antibodies are in higher range?

The ENT today said my labs- meaning TSH was normal so tried to brush off thyroid symptoms. I questioned him saying antibodies tested positive. I also said I know something isnt right w/ my symptoms & Hashimotos is in family. I also k now the TSH doesnt always indicate problem. So how do they Diagnosis a thyroid problem / Hashimotos? to the point that they suggest treatment? I do have nodules which I read can also indicate Hashis. Also is the treament for that thyroid meds? Thanks for replies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Re: How is Hashimotos diagnosed if TSH normal? Antibodies are in higher range?

You're entitled to one free copy of your labs, and can see if they even tested for antibodies and whatever else is required to dx Hashi's. I don't think they usually do unless you ask them to include that. After you get your report, why not try a relative's doctor that they already know and can recommend? Just a thought. You wouldn't even have to mention that you tried someone already. Good luck.

Last edited by Eagle; 10-16-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

If you have positive TGAb and or TPOAb then you by medical definition have Hashimoto's thyroiditis a.k.a autoimmune thyroiditis. Now some MDs believe in proactive treatment of Hashimoto's. Others prefer to make you wait until your thyroid is killed off and you become overt hypoT.

Given your nodules and symptoms you most likely could benefit from thyroid supplementation. You need a different MD to treat your thyroid issue. My first Endo was a dud and too conservative. As a result my issues spread and amplified. Now I have adrenal and insulin issues as well. My Endo was too fixated on my TSH. Yours may be as well.

What were your last lab results. Get a copy. Post the lab value and associated range. This will allow us to better see where you are in range and how far from optimal thyroid function you are... in addition adrenal and conversion issues can be perceived from the FT3 adn Ft4 balance as well.

Look over these two threads. I think they may help you help yourself.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]

MG

Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
    swraper
    (male)

swraper HB User

My wife went to two different Endocrinologist. They said that her labs were positive for antibodies but her TSH, T3, T4, Free T3, and Free T4 were normal. Both Endo's said Hashimoto's but neither wanted to treat her at this time.

She went back to her regular Dr and stated the Endo's results and non-treatment plan. She then told her Dr about her symptoms:

Less stamina\energy than others, Often feeling cold, Debilitating reaction to exercise, Forgetfulness, Foggy thinking, feeling like you canít get enough air, Nausea, Aching bones/muscles, Exhaustion, anxiety, Joint pain, Tightness in throat, periodic low grade fevers, tightness in chest

Her Dr put her on 30 Mg of Armour to see if it would help. She has been on it now for two weeks and she is doing ALOT better. Her Energy Level has greatly increased and most of her other symptoms have diminished as well. So far so good.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

My Endo feels strongly that I have Hashi's. My antibodies have never been elevated when tested but he says they can fluctuate. My TSH, T4 and T3 have been normal but t3 and t4 in lower normal range.

I had symptoms for 5 years before my multinodular goiter showed up then everyone got excited....suddenly my complaints of fatigue and weight gain were not " all in my head". I have been on medication the last 2 years.

My t4 dropped to below normal this year while I was on medication. My Endo who I really like is about my 6th Doctor to care for me while I have been on my thyroid journey........he says I have Hashi's and that is why my symptoms come and go and why I have nodules.......He believes in treating Hashi's.

I feel much better.......I am on 3 Grains (120mg) of Armour and heading to 4 Grains. I found I could go way up on the Armour and my labs barely changed. He says my thyroid has been sick quite a while.....

Good Luck.....Oleander

Closed Thread