It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I ran out of synthroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
    Julianna22
    (female)

Julianna22 HB User
    I ran out of synthroid

Due to insurance reasons my endo. dropped me. I am currently out of synthroid for the next two weeks. I found a new endo and the first app. I can get is in two weeks. What will happen to my daughter and I if we go off of synthroid for that long? I have no other options then to wait because of fiancial reasons at the moment. The endo. will not give me samples. Any thoughts on this. Thanks so much for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: I ran out of synthroid

You both have hashis? You won't feel good, but you should be decent depending upon your doses.

What about a clinic? Or a regular doctor (you don't need an endo to get synthroid, any internist will do)---it is hard to get synthroid samples lately, you can also call the next endo's office and tell them you're out and ask them what to do.

Also, have you tried generics? They are pretty reasonably priced.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
    Julianna22
    (female)

Julianna22 HB User

Thanks for replying so fast as I am really worried. My daughter is hypo and I had my thryroid killed with radation (RAI) I think thats what its called? I've been on 200mg. and my daughterr has been on 112mg. I just hate knowing she'll be feeling bad.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You should be able to get a generic script for documented doses written at any minute clinic. you are supplementing dead thyroids. BOTH of you. If an MD has prescirbed it, get a copy of your medical records showing it and get a FNP (Nurse practicioner) to update your script. The Endo that dropped you should willing to do this for you. You should not be left with out the access to essential thyroid supplementation meds! i do not know if you will be able to get free samples. But the other option is to call the manufacturers of synthroid and see if they will give you a coupon or voucher for a couple of weeks supply. Some PRs from the pharmaceutical companies will help out those in need. It is just good business.

MG

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

you probably wont feel great in a month or so (delayed effect, i've found) but you'll bounce back once the new meds - the ones you get in 2 weeks - kick in.

its either that or ask the endo to call you in some generics although i'm not sure how much they cost. thats too bad the endo couldnt get you some sort of thyroid samples.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

I feel that your endo is negligent for dropping you without at lest ensuring that you have a prescription for maintenance meds in hand. I agree with the others that if you walk into most clinics you'll find that you shoudl be able to get a prescription from a doctor who will agree with you.

My experience with generics has not been good. Unithroid is VERY close in price to the generics and has a better track record of stability than Synthroid, Levoxyl or the generics. That tends to be my T4 med of choice for those reasons. I specifically request that from my doc.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Report that Endo to the local medical society. Drs. have a duty to provide assistence to their patients until the patient can get to the next Dr. Fam

Closed Thread