It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• allergic to iodine and have graves and hasimoto's antibodies.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
    bobbie3
    (female)

bobbie3 HB User
    allergic to iodine and have graves and hasimoto's antibodies.

quesiton to any and all. If I am allergic to the iodine, and they do the uptake... minus any "iodine". and then do a scan... what are the chances that they will actually "see" anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: allergic to iodine and have graves and hasimoto's antibodies.

you can't be allergic to Iodine. Iodine is an essential element and is present in may of your tissues.

Most likely, with Graves, you are hyperthyroid, and the Iodine exacerbates this problem.

If you are not currently hyper, then adding Iodine will cause issues by either making you hyper, or if you are selenium defiicient, then you may experience any number of symptoms.

They can't do an Iodine Uptake scan without using Iodine, because Iodine is what they are watching.

My guess is that you don't have enough Selenium, which is VITAL for properly utilizing Iodine to produce thyroid hormone, so when you add iodine, it causes issues.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

As meep said you can not be allergic to elemental iodine. This is normally ingested in the form of KI. Potassium iodized salt. NOW you can be allergic to the iodine based DYE that they use in trace scans. you can also be allergic to the iodized protien in seafood and shellfish. This is classified as an iodine allergy.

My mom and I have this allergy. It is classified as a Sensitivity by the immunologist, but for sack of understanding or impact they toss the word allergy with it for everyone else. . I am also allergic to Cobalt and Cobalt dyes, another fun one to handle. When you have a RAI Uptake and are allergic to iodine dyes and proteins, then you can experience anaphylaxis and your standard allergic response. My mom has had a couple done, despite her severe DYE allergies. They prepared her with preop steriod and antihistamine dosing. They also had epinepherine(sp) on hand in case things went bad. The first test they had to apply Epi to her. All in all they were able to see a lot. My mom had a nice rash for a week but was able to go home later the same day. She was super sensitive to anything iodinized for 48-72 hours post Scan. She went on a 2 week iodine free salt diet and avoid foods that had a high natural iodine content.

So as Meep and my chemical research say, you are not allergic to fundamental I2 or I(-). What gets SOME people is an allergy to iodine based protiens and dyes. When such occurs one is deemed allergic or sensitive to iodine. Even being one of these few you can do an Uptake scan and get valid results from that scan.

Good Luck make sure your RAI staff know of your sensitivity at least a week before your test. They will want to prepare you to minimize allergic response effects.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-17-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

You can have a thyroid ultrasound instead, that should be enough. the uptake scan is really for them to see how much RAI 131 to give you if you were to go that route.

Closed Thread