HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Possibly hyperparathyroid for 2nd time, had surgery with Dr. Norman in 05 (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/642352-possibly-hyperparathyroid-2nd-time-had-surgery-dr-norman-05-a.html)

whozqueen 10-17-2008 06:48 AM

Possibly hyperparathyroid for 2nd time, had surgery with Dr. Norman in 05

I made my first post last night on a parathyroid thread and then the moderator shut it down because it was too long! So I will try again here. Here is what I said, "Hi Renee! I am just down the road from you in Ruston, Louisiana! I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism in 2005. My family doctor in West Monroe was treating me for hypothyroidism and postpartum depression and my calcium kept coming back high, so he tested my parathyroid hormone and that was also high so then he sent me for a sestamibi scan at St. Francis and had me take that over to a general surgeon in North Monroe who had only done a handful of parathyroid surgeries, and of course it was the old type where they practically cut off your head trying to look for the thing. I said no thanks and found Dr. Norman on the web (it took me awhile to convince myself that he was legitimate). He is a bit curt, as he told me that my sestamibi scan was not worth the film it was on. Bedside before surgery he made sure to tell me what an idiot my primary care Dr. was (who diagnosed me, so how does that make him stupid, I wonder). The surgery was a breeze, he said they found the adenoma and removed it. (although he did make a strange comment, he said that he saw my thyroid and it did not look to him like here was anything wrong with it and so he doubted my hypothyroid diagnosis. I'm wondering, since when do you diagnosis hypothyroidsm by looking at the thyroid? weird) So all my post surgery labs were good, it seems I had been cured. But not so fast! This spring I was feeling just awful so I saw an internist here at Green Clinic, she ran loads of tests, and the results were: a 10.5 calcium. I'm like, excuse me!? Knowing my history, she referred me to Dr. Sanson (I bet thats who you are seeing too). Took me forever to get an appointment with her, but she spent like an hour with me, which was great. Sent me for every test under the sun. Urine, Vitamin D, Creatine, Thyroid, Liver, Kidneys, Phosphorus, all were fine. Calcium was 10.2. PTH was "high". Can't remember the #. Unbelievable. She says I could have another adenoma, or hyperplasia or inherited familial. She says she won't bother sending me for a sestamibi cause she is familiar with Dr. Norman and knows he will just put it in the trash can. But she sent me for an ultrasound this morning. Don't know the results. I've been researching and I think the do minimally invasive at Oschner in New Orleans. Maybe thats where I'm headed. -Hilary"

sue1234 10-17-2008 09:46 AM

Re: Possibly hyperparathyroid for 2nd time, had surgery with Dr. Norman in 05

Can I ask what you mean when you say you "felt awful"? I like to know exactly what people feel like, such as symptoms, when I hear they have a high/low lab. Thanks.

reneeinmlu 10-17-2008 12:53 PM

Hey Hilary,

I didn't see this. I just found it but I had already started a new thread. lol Now that I've found this, I'll copy and paste my reply to you. Nice talking to you. Keep in touch. See reply below. Thanks.

Renee

Hi Hilary,

They closed that threat right after you posted on it last night. I hope you get this one. Yes, my doctor is Dr. Sanson. You are right, it takes forever to get in to see her but she is very good. She takes her time with you and explains everything and answers all of your questions. I really like her. Of course Dr. Norman said she didn't know what she was doing and called all the test she sent me for, "CRAP." That is when I decided to not go to him for my surgery. First of all, she sent me for an ultrasound for EXISTING Thyroid Nodules that I had biopsied THREE years ago. I have not been back to see her in TWO years which is totally my fault. As you know those have to be "watched" and because I had not kept my appointments, they had not been checked in years. So she was right to check for any growth or change in those. She has been my doctor for years. The Bone Density was ordered for obvious reasons due to Parathyroid disease. AND what is wrong with her doing a scan? They did my scan at Glenwood and they DID find it. So I'm not sure what Dr. Norman's problem with our doctors running the test is but I feel Dr. Sanson is very thorough and she has done an excellent job. It bothers me how he speaks about other doctors and surgeons. Anyway, I have found a surgeon in Pittsburgh and that is where I am going next month. We are in the process now of choosing a date for for my surgery.

I'm really sorry that you have discovered you have yet another one. UGH! How long have you had the symptoms? I have not heard about anyone in New Orleans. What is the surgeons name? Keep me posted and I hope to talk to you soon.

Renee

[QUOTE=whozqueen;3764111]I made my first post last night on a parathyroid thread and then the moderator shut it down because it was too long! So I will try again here. Here is what I said, "Hi Renee! I am just down the road from you in Ruston, Louisiana! I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism in 2005. My family doctor in West Monroe was treating me for hypothyroidism and postpartum depression and my calcium kept coming back high, so he tested my parathyroid hormone and that was also high so then he sent me for a sestamibi scan at St. Francis and had me take that over to a general surgeon in North Monroe who had only done a handful of parathyroid surgeries, and of course it was the old type where they practically cut off your head trying to look for the thing. I said no thanks and found Dr. Norman on the web (it took me awhile to convince myself that he was legitimate). He is a bit curt, as he told me that my sestamibi scan was not worth the film it was on. Bedside before surgery he made sure to tell me what an idiot my primary care Dr. was (who diagnosed me, so how does that make him stupid, I wonder). The surgery was a breeze, he said they found the adenoma and removed it. (although he did make a strange comment, he said that he saw my thyroid and it did not look to him like here was anything wrong with it and so he doubted my hypothyroid diagnosis. I'm wondering, since when do you diagnosis hypothyroidsm by looking at the thyroid? weird) So all my post surgery labs were good, it seems I had been cured. But not so fast! This spring I was feeling just awful so I saw an internist here at Green Clinic, she ran loads of tests, and the results were: a 10.5 calcium. I'm like, excuse me!? Knowing my history, she referred me to Dr. Sanson (I bet thats who you are seeing too). Took me forever to get an appointment with her, but she spent like an hour with me, which was great. Sent me for every test under the sun. Urine, Vitamin D, Creatine, Thyroid, Liver, Kidneys, Phosphorus, all were fine. Calcium was 10.2. PTH was "high". Can't remember the #. Unbelievable. She says I could have another adenoma, or hyperplasia or inherited familial. She says she won't bother sending me for a sestamibi cause she is familiar with Dr. Norman and knows he will just put it in the trash can. But she sent me for an ultrasound this morning. Don't know the results. I've been researching and I think the do minimally invasive at Oschner in New Orleans. Maybe thats where I'm headed. -Hilary"[/QUOTE]

whozqueen 10-17-2008 02:18 PM

I am sooo tired. My house is a wreck and I can barely do anything about it. If I get kids fed and remember to pick them up from school its a big accomplishment. My back hurts. I've had three urinary tract infections in the last 9 months. And sometimes I feel like something is pressing down on me. I don't know how else to describe that. And in June my hands a feet just started tingling. With some numbness. They tingle all the time night and day and nothing makes it go away.

[QUOTE=sue1234;3764274]Can I ask what you mean when you say you "felt awful"? I like to know exactly what people feel like, such as symptoms, when I hear they have a high/low lab. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

whozqueen 10-17-2008 02:31 PM

Hi! I'm glad we connected. I'm not sure who the surgeon is at Oschner, but their website says, "Minimally invasive procedures are also used to remove parathyroid glands in patients with hyperparathyroidism due to parathyroid adenomas." So that is a lead at least. Did Dr. Sanson not recommend a surgeon or are you totally on your own for that? She has requested the sugery report from Dr. Norman so she can see exactly what he did. I had the ultrasound yesterday and I have an appointment with Dr. Sanson Oct 27 to discuss the results and look at the disc. I am really gunning to have this all over and done with before the end of the year if I have to do it, because of my insurance deductible. Does you Dr. in Pittsburg do it like Dr. Norman with the sestamibi scan, light anasthesia and minimally invasive procedue? I don't know why Dr. Norman acts like he does. Seems like only a very insecure person would act that way. Maybe becuase he "invented" the method and everyone else is a dolt as a result?
-Hilary

QUOTE=reneeinmlu;3764476]Hey Hilary,

I didn't see this. I just found it but I had already started a new thread. lol Now that I've found this, I'll copy and paste my reply to you. Nice talking to you. Keep in touch. See reply below. Thanks.

Renee

Hi Hilary,

They closed that threat right after you posted on it last night. I hope you get this one. Yes, my doctor is Dr. Sanson. You are right, it takes forever to get in to see her but she is very good. She takes her time with you and explains everything and answers all of your questions. I really like her. Of course Dr. Norman said she didn't know what she was doing and called all the test she sent me for, "CRAP." That is when I decided to not go to him for my surgery. First of all, she sent me for an ultrasound for EXISTING Thyroid Nodules that I had biopsied THREE years ago. I have not been back to see her in TWO years which is totally my fault. As you know those have to be "watched" and because I had not kept my appointments, they had not been checked in years. So she was right to check for any growth or change in those. She has been my doctor for years. The Bone Density was ordered for obvious reasons due to Parathyroid disease. AND what is wrong with her doing a scan? They did my scan at Glenwood and they DID find it. So I'm not sure what Dr. Norman's problem with our doctors running the test is but I feel Dr. Sanson is very thorough and she has done an excellent job. It bothers me how he speaks about other doctors and surgeons. Anyway, I have found a surgeon in Pittsburgh and that is where I am going next month. We are in the process now of choosing a date for for my surgery.

I'm really sorry that you have discovered you have yet another one. UGH! How long have you had the symptoms? I have not heard about anyone in New Orleans. What is the surgeons name? Keep me posted and I hope to talk to you soon.

Renee[/QUOTE]

sue1234 10-17-2008 02:42 PM

Thanks so much for describing how you feel. That helps people like me who are undiagnosed, and I know alot of other people with possible hyperpt issues like to relate. We all know the usual thyroid symptoms, but not necessarily alot of the hyperpt symptoms.

By the way, I seem alot like what you feel. My house is a wreck and I get up to do something, don't have the energy, and just sit back down. My thinking is getting worse and worse.

reneeinmlu 11-08-2008 02:32 PM

Hilary, just checking in with you to see how you are doing. My surgery is scheduled in Georgia on November 20 with my appointment being the day before. I am having the Parathyroidectomy and the total Thyroidectomy and I am very nervous. Can anyone on here tell me if you have had both at the same time??? How will I feel? Is it going to be a hard recovery? Will the hair I lost, come back? Anyway, just checking in with you and everyone else. Hope to hear from you soon. I leave Tuesday for my son's graduation at Fort Jackson and then afterward I go for my surgery. Keep me in your prayers.

LadyK28 06-23-2009 09:04 PM

How are you and how was the surgery?