It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• So Far Synthroid stinks!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User
    So Far Synthroid stinks!

I felt better bfore taking synthroid. Now I have bad leg pains, very tired most of time & bad diarreah. I started 8/13/08 on 25mc then reduced to half of that now 25mc 2days wk & half 5 days. I know he's being careful since I'm in my 60's. My T4 Free 1.2, TSH 3rd generation 1.29 & T3, Free 306. If I call them & tell them how I'm feeling they deny any link to meds or thyroid. Don't have a choice of Endro's down here in Fla. All I know is I feel like crap! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User
    Re: So Far Synthroid stinks!

Gram, I felt the same way on synthroid, I took synthroid for 14 yrs,just .25 mcg, throughout those yrs I also had to take valium on occasion for leg muscle spasms that would last for days and days, also many headaches, joint issues, hip pain etc... I was still able to work and everything so I guess I just tolerated it. anyway, after my thyroid went hyper in feb of 2004, RAI in 2005, my levels would not regulate on synthroid at all, I went to 4 different endos in 3 yrs. I begged for someone to try me on armour , I finally sat with my insurance book and called 16 doctors offices and asked if the doc would prescribe armour , I did get a call back and am now on armour.
    My doc isn't all that great at giving me enough yet! but Im working on it lol.
    The difference is though that with the armour I felt releif in the joint pain and muscle pain within my first 2 days, I have only had about 1 headache since june. Even though my free t4 is still pretty low, I feel a huge difference from synthroid. Maybe you could try to switch to it and give it a try. The armour website has a doctors list that you could look at. Or you could call your local pharmacy and ask them if anyone in the area is on armour , they could give you doctor names too.
    kathy

Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks at least I know I'm not crazy the way that Dr's office acts when I say something. Did you have a problem w/diarreah too? I asked him about armour he flipped out sd it was pig organs who would take that! I'll try & find someone, was it an endro that gave it to you or another type Dr, is that considered althernitive meds? Even my eyes are being affected. If I asked about something you have answered forgive me also have alot of brain fog, so fed up!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

There is a Web site that lists Doctors that prescribe Armour.....Do a search.

I was told the T1 in the Armour seems to help the aches and pains......also fibromyalgia......that is what my GP told me years ago.

Gram.......that is horrible that you are feeling that way. You should NOT be having diarrhea and I am suspect of the Lactose base in it..... If you were feeling like that on any other medication they would take you right off.

Just wanted to tell you I am sorry you are feeling so badly........Oleander

Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

You are such a nice person, I thought of the lactose problem too, I have always had a problem w/diarreah from ice cream & milk. Is there a test that can tell if you are lactose intolerant? What do I do just put in google for a search for Dr's that prescribe that med in my area?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Gram...sorry you are not feeling well taking Synthroid...you could try Levoxyl...it might have a different filler...please take care...

Old 10-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

Gram, stick to trying to get armour, all the other synthetics are just t4.
    Armour does help with the aches and pains. I am currently goin to a D.O., All 4 of the endo's that I went to would not prescribe it. Its what they were taught in med school (that synthroid is the only way to go). They were also taught that the tsh test is the best test too. We all have learned that the free t3 and free t4 and better. The way that I found my doc is by calling every doc in my ins book, and asking the receptionist to ask the doc if he would prescribe armour.. I was called back by 2 docs. Im not really happy with the way he is dosing me , I am only on 21/4 grains and know that I still need more. He is going to slow with upping it, but Im bearing with him. I still feel so much better even though I am not at optimal yet. I also am taking lugols solution iodine too, and lots of vit C,selinium, mg, b-12, bcomplex,.
    Armour thyroid has a doctor search on their website. Another way would be to call your local pharmacy and see if anyone in the area has any patients on it.
    Keep fighting for it though , it is really worth the effort . I haven't felt this good since about 1989. I guess I just accepted feeling bad was my new normal , well not anymore..... good luck in your search
    kathy

Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Kathy, so you don't have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get Armour? Do most Ins cover it & is it expensive? It will be hard where I live not many Dr's to choose from but def have to get away from the synth, even my eyes are worse as far as seeing. Thanks alot

Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User
    Cool Re: So Far Synthroid stinks!

No you don't have to go to compounding pharm for Armour.

My insurance is MedCo. And recently I had to start paying for ALL the cost of my Armour which is $18 monthly. But if you have the Dr write a 90 or 180 day prescription, it would be cheaper.

Are you taking brand Synthroid or the generic Levothyroxine?
    Like someone suggested earlier, you could try a different T4 medicine. Make sure to go with BRAND not generic though,,,

Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

It is Brand name synthroid he will not hear of any other is against it. Had a hissy fit when I mentioned Armour. I could maybe get my primary Dr to order Armour but would he know what mg to order for hypo, I don't know. He has ordered blood work for thyroid before. I def don't want to go back to that thyroid Dr, have to find out how to stop the synthroid have been taking it about 2mo some 25mc but mostly 12.5mc. Thinking of asking a pharmacist.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #11
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

gram,
    on the armour website there is info for the doc on how to prescribe, like an equivelency chart to synthroid its pretty easy. Also, I get my armour from a regular pharmacy, rite aid. I have not had any problems, one time they were out and I had to wait one day . I would push for the armour though , and stop the synthetics, they don't have t4,t3,t2,t1 and calcitonin like armour does. I can't have my thryoid back but I would rather have the closest supplement to my natural one so armour is the way to go .

Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #12
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

gram4,
    I looked over your previous post .you stated that your doc did iodine loading test. was your result 90% saturation?
    kathy

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Funny you just asked that I had the results of my thyroid uptake & scan from Aug faxed to me. It says in conclusion "There is no evidence of cold nodule identified on current examination" Thats why he claims I needed the synthroid. I am a cyst person always have had cysts all over in my body but thank God, they have always been benign or go away all my life. I wonder if I even needed the synthroid, I stopped yesterday (was on 12.5mc because of the terrible side effects & feel better today, even my brain fog is better. I made an appt w/a new women Dr for Monday to go over all this.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Gram, the uptake scan is to determine if an nodule is cold or hot.......I had the same test to determine if my nodules were possibly cancerous.. it is telling you your nodule is probably not cancerous.....which is great news..

Let us know what the new Doctor says..........Good luck.......Oleander

Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks, I thought it meant there was no nodule.

Closed Thread