It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• solid calcification...cancer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
    Maryliz
    (female)

Maryliz HB User
    solid calcification...cancer?

My ultra sound result say I have "another solid lesion containing a calcification".

I am wondering what this means in the way of being cancerous.

I have just finished having my final breast reconstruction surgery in July and was looking forward to getting on with life and now I am afraid of the big C interrupting my life again.

Any information you have will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mary
    P.S. I posted my full ultrasound results in another thread earlier. "Help understanding past and present test results please".

Last edited by Maryliz; 10-18-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: solid calcification...cancer?

I am no expert but have have many thyroid ultrasounds. None of my nodules have ever been calcified and my Endo was suprised at that.......I think Calcification does not definately mean anything... It can mean it is benign but does not rule out cancer either....... so from what I have read calcification does not mean anything certain.....you will need more follow up like an uptake scan or needle biopsy to be sure.

Nodules can really shake you up.......but they do not have to mean cancer.

I am sorry that you are going through so much. I am sure others will come forward with more input....

Let us know what happens......Oleander

Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

In other cancers, calcifications are a red flag for cancer, but not so much for thyroid nodules. If it's around 1cm then you should get a needle biopsy and go from there.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
    Maryliz
    (female)

Maryliz HB User

Thank you for your replies!

I am going in for a FNA in two weeks. I will let you know the results when I get them.
    The thyroid has been difficult for me to understand.....I read one thing and the next thing I read contradicts what I read before. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around some of the information.
    Thanks again
    Mary

Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Mary, Welcome to Thyroidland !!! It is maddening.......no matter how good your medical knowledge is it can be very confusing.......

I recommend the book newest version Thyroid for Dummies.......even my Endo read it......it has some great information in it.

I had pressure in my throat and discovered I had nodules up to 12 of them and I also had a goiter !!! My labs were normal but I had felt terrible for several years. Long story short because my Mother had thyroid cancer at age 48 everyone wanted to take my thyroid out when these nodules were found. It turns out I have Hashimoto's which you need to read up on......for me it has been a 2 year+ journey and 7 Doctors later.......much to learn and figure out....... I am on medication and I get checked every 6 months now.

So do not feel badly that you are having trouble figuring this all out....there is much to know.

Stay with the Board here.....they are wonderful .........Oleander

Closed Thread