It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 3 cm nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
    turtle42
    (female)

turtle42 HB User
    3 cm nodule

I have had 2 biopsies, both negative, on a 3cm nodule. I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor. Now my endo and oncologist are recomending the nodule be removed. If it isnt removed I have to have an ultra sound every 6 months. My question is why remove it if it isnt cancer? I can feel it when I swallow but so far it isnt causing alot of discomfort and all my labs are normal. Any ideas? Thanks,
    jackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: 3 cm nodule

If it is negative for cancer why do they want to remove it? Did they do an uptake scan to see if it is hot or cold? That could be another step....

What are your labs? TSH , T3 , T4? did they do TPO or antibody tests?

I have nodules and am just watching them... Oleander

Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
    cardshark
    (female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by turtle42 View Post
    I have had 2 biopsies, both negative, on a 3cm nodule. I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor. Now my endo and oncologist are recomending the nodule be removed. If it isnt removed I have to have an ultra sound every 6 months. My question is why remove it if it isnt cancer? I can feel it when I swallow but so far it isnt causing alot of discomfort and all my labs are normal. Any ideas? Thanks,
    jackie
    It should be removed because of the size, it is causing some discomfort, and without removing it they have no way of knowing for sure it isn't cancerous. The biopsies you have had are probably FNA's (Fine needle aspirations) which just take a small piece of the nodule and with nodules you can have one area that is bening and the cells right beside it can be malignant. I am a cancer survivor as well and in April I wasn't feeling well and thought I might have cancer again and went for a check up with my oncologist and they found a nodule in my thyroid. They did FNA and it came back benign but due to my history I went ahead and had surgery and afterwards they biopsied it and the larger part of the nodule was bening but some of it was malignant and had they not gone ahead and removed it when they did it would have spread.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

1.5cm is the cut off which usually signals the possibility of cancer spreading. Apparently, the pathologist can't determine thyroid cancer for sure until he/she has the whole gland or lobe to look at. Even then I understand it sometimes is difficult especially between papillary & foliicular cancer. After having breast cancer, I can see why you aren't happy to go through another surgery. Take care. Fam

Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I did not know there was a cut off size? hmmmmm I have some large ones but mine are fine...better to be safe than sorry........

Let us know what happens and good luck to you........Oleander

Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
    stephanie867
    (female)

stephanie867 HB User

I have a 2.8cm nodule. My endo wants to remove it, but it's not bothering me, my labs are fine, and I feel fine. I've had it for a couple of years now. I've had all the tests...uptake scan, FNA, etc. and it comes back negative.

I see a naturopath now, and he agrees with me, that if it's not broken, and I feel ok, it's not bothering me, and my labs are fine, to just leave it be.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have 4 dominant nodules out of 12, 2 are 2.4cm and 2.8cm........my uptake scan says okay....My Endo feels watching is fine at this time......2 years now since I found them....he says they are from Hashi's......time will tell........I am not wanting a tt unless necessary.....at times I can feel them but am okay with that.

I know there are some on this board who thought theirs were fine and it turned out it was cancer....then some had theirs out thinking cancer to find all was benign....so sometimes it is a hard call to make.........

Oleander

Closed Thread