It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid mass

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
    smilenforu
    (female)

smilenforu HB User
    Thyroid mass

Mom was told she has one "cystic mass" on her thyroid after an ultrasound. She's going for an FNA biopsy Wednesday. I've read that most thyroid masses are benign, but many sites say that usually benign masses are in groups and not a single mass. Does this mean bad news? I've made myself sick with anxiety over this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
    smilenforu
    (female)

smilenforu HB User
    Re: Thyroid mass

Can anyone offer anything at all?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello in Georgia.......

I have studied this quite a bit.....I was originally told I had one nodule or mass...then by the time I had several ultrasounds I had up to twelve with 4 of them being dominant...

I have read where you are better to have many than just one but then I have also read that is not true......You can have a benign single nodule.....Everyone is so individual....It is hard to say....there are many people here on the board that have had a single nodule and it was fine.

I know it is scarey but try not to worry until she has all the test results in....She may just have a simple nodule and nothing more.....

Cystic is good too but does not always mean you are in the clear.....

She is probably scared too........let us know how she does with her FNA and the results.......

The board here is excellent.....stay with us and get her to join if she wants.

Get the book Thyroid for Dummies......it is great and you can read up and be in the Know for your Mom......

I wish I could do more for you.....

Oleander

Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
    smilenforu
    (female)

smilenforu HB User

Oleander, thanks so much for your reply. I am trying to keep my mind on other things besides my mom and her thyroid nodule. It's really hard though, because she's never had a health scare...always been the one taking care of everyone else...and she hasn't been the same person since she found out three weeks ago. She's nervous but strong. I'm nervous and want to cry all the time. I'm pretty sure I have developed a stomach ulcer. My mom says it's what she doesn't know that is making her so afraid. I believe she also hates the idea of taking off work if she needs surgery.

I spoke to an ENT where I work and he says thyroid nodules are rarely cancerous. I hope and pray this is the case for my mom.

She said she really likes her endocrinologist...that he made her swallow a dozen times while he felt her nodule during her visit. Do you know why he did this?

Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

The swallowing is just a routine part of the thyroid exam-can't remember the reason at the moment. I, too, have read a lot since my daughter had thyroid surgery for thyroid cancer in Jan. & both my other daughter & I have had US's with nodules found plus a goiter.

I found a great article by a panal of experts that was written as a guide for pathologists examining nodule biopsies etc. Cancer can be found in a single nodule, multible nodules, goiters, cystic nodules, it doesn't matter. A biopsy only takes a certain amount of tissue so even though it is benign there maybe cancer in the nodule. We have to weigh all the factors & decide whether we take some risk & monitor our nodules or have surgery. One's age, family history, medical history, surgical risk, exposure to radiation are amoung the factors.

For example in my case, since I have allergies to meds, severe HBP, & am in my 60's, & the fact that thyroid cancer is usually slow growing, I have decided to monitor my nodules with ultrasound. I did see 2 Endo's, & an ENT.

I agree with your Mom fear of the unknown is sometimes worse than coming to the terms with the known. Tell her that most nodules are benign & most thyroid cancers can be dealt with sucessfully. We can't say that of a lot of cancers.

Take care. Fam

Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
    smilenforu
    (female)

smilenforu HB User

Fam,

Thanks for the additional information. You posters on this board really have a wealth of knowledge of the the thyroid even though it's a complicated little organ.

My mom is 59 and just in the past 6 months or so has developed high blood pressure. She's been wondering if her HBP is related to her thryoid somehow. Whether she asked her endo this or not, I have yet to ask. I don't want to ask her too many questions as it makes her nervous.

So she goes in the the AM for her biopsy. Does anyone know about how long it should take to receive the results from that?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

My daughter's biopsy report took 3 wks. It was negative. The Dr's office was very busy & just couldn't get her in. They wouldn't allow her to see the report until the DR. saw her. I'm sure Dr's get the patients with the positive reports in first because surgery would have to be scheduled.

My b/p soared with my last major thyroiditis. This time it didn't come back down. I've had a struggle getting it stable mainly because I am allergic to so many meds.

BTW hypo or hyperthyroidism can cause an increase in b/p. Fam

Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
    smilenforu
    (female)

smilenforu HB User

Hmm...what you said about B/P makes me wonder. My mom's B/P has actually been on the low-normal side until about 5-6 months ago. She said it used to run 90s/50s-60s consistently and then a couple months ago her doc had to put her on B/P meds. She thought that was odd as she has no personal or family history of high B/P. Hopefully her endocrinologist will follow up on this.

It sounds as though thyroid disorder runs in your family. Did your father or mother have a thyroid problem? I've never even heard the word thryoid mentioned in my family until now. I hope my sister and I aren't next in line.

I talked to my mom tonight and she seems okay, but of course she's not worried about the FNA. It's the waiting afterward that will be really hard for all of us, especially my mom. The FNA...is it going to be painful for her? I am unable to go with her, but my dad will be there. I'm praying everything will go alright.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #9
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I haven't had a FNA but my daughter did-she said it was nothing. But some posters have complained of pain. It probably depends on where the nodules are & how much digging they have to do. The Dr. does give the patient a local anesthetic in most cases.

My Dr. advised my other children and me to get ultrasounds after my older daughter was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. There is one form of thyroid cancer that is definately heritary, but there is some evidence that follicular & papillary cancers are genetic.

My parents did not have thyroid issues but I have two aunts & a cousin with hypothyroidism & one had a goiter. None had cancer-in fact there is very little cancer in our family. Exposure to radiation is the primary reason for thyroid cancer especially when one is very young. My daughter wasn't exposed to radiation as far as I know.

When getting dental x-rays it is important to protect the thyroid. Usually the dental has a leaded collar-just pull up the apron (lead) with your hands under the apron if he doesn't have the collar.

I'm being careful with cell phones now after that latest report of radiation since cell phones are so close to the neck.

Actually I prefer using ear phones so I have my hands free. There is even a low amount of radiation being emitted from portable home phones. I find the cheap head sets very convenient so one can do chores while on the phone. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 10-22-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
    smilenforu
    (female)

smilenforu HB User

Well, she did fine, but said it did hurt a little. The doctor obtained three samples of fluid and said he would have the results in about a week. So now we wait, hoping and praying for the best. Thanks for all your help. I'll check back in and let you know what we find out.

Closed Thread