It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help - Panic attacks- High Anti TPO 4628

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
    canadusa
    (female)

canadusa HB User
    Help - Panic attacks- High Anti TPO 4628

I was just in the emergency room because of dizziness and/or panick attacks.
    This is the 5th or 6th episode of dizziness and or panic attacks in two weeks.
    For the past two weeks I have felt constantly light headed. I'm not sure what that is from. Eating sugar seems to help at times if it's not a panic attack.

My test results are

FT4 Range 0.9-1.8 ng/dl Result 0.9
    THS Range 0.35-5.50 mIU/L Result 27.24
    Anti TPO Range 0-60 IU/ml Result 4628

My "previous" doctor did some testing and validaded that I had Hashimotos.
    He also did an iodine test. Hashimoto's came out positive(not sure of levels)
    THS said was normal. He also did a urine test to see if my body was producing "iodine". He sais my body should have been producing 98% iodine and was only producing 48%. He put me on iodine supplements

Total Iodine 12.5 mg
    Iodine 5 mg
    Iodine as Potassium salt 7.5

I took 3 supplements daily for three months.

After the emergency room episode, I hooked up with a new MD.
    My physician confered with an endocronologist. She said to STOP the iodine supplements and that may have been contributing to "whatever" is going on with me. I have now started Synthroid (75 MGC) 3 days ago.
    My physician told me follow up with the endocronologist in six weeks.

I have several questions--please help if you have any suggestions with any of these.

1)I need to go back to work and experience some dizziness/panic attacks at times although it seem to be better since I started with Synthroid..Is the anxiety part of the condition and will only get better as my levels go down. I'm also thinking that it might be an emotional reaction to the whole thing

2) Are those levels unusually high? Wow---4628 seems way off. What is FT4?

3) I really trusted my "previous" doctor"--Not sure why I was told to stop the iodine supplements at once.

4)Six weeks seems a long time to wait with my current symptoms..should I try to see an endocronologist sooner. She said to wait six weeks. This was before she had the "now" results of my levels

5) I have gained 11 pounds in the past year. I work out and eat well. I know it's not a lot but given that I take care of myself- I shouldn't have gained. Hoping to get back down to my weight with the synthroid. I was on synthroid for six weeks a while back and started gaining weight. Doc said to stop since my levels were normal. A few days after I stopped I "flushed" out a lot of water and immediatly ..lost 5 pounds . Was the water retention because of synthroid. I went to the web side askapatient.com: there seems to be a lot of postings on gaining weight from synthroid. I don't want to lose sight of what is important but also don't want to have to deal with the additional weight gain because of synthroid. Has anyone else experienced weight gain from synthroid?

I know this is a long post..as you can see I'm not sure where to go with all this. I would appreciate any insights, suggestions or professional medical advice you might have.

Thank you in advance
    Danielle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Help - Panic attacks- High Anti TPO 4628

Canadusa,

I was just in the emergency room because of dizziness and/or panick attacks.
    This is the 5th or 6th episode of dizziness and or panic attacks in two weeks.
    For the past two weeks I have felt constantly light headed. I'm not sure what that is from. Eating sugar seems to help at times if it's not a panic attack.

FT4 Range 0.9-1.8 ng/dl Result 0.9 You are at 0% thyroid hormone here. This is a clear indicator that you are hypothyroid and need supplementation. Optimal range of normal for a woman of child bearing years is 50-80% in the normal range. This is the direct measurement of ACTIVE thyroxine in your system. This is the main storage and transport form of your thyroid. Your thyroid then converts it to T3, T2 or uses it directly in the T4 form when applicable. The number associated with the T corresponds to the nuber of iodine molecules attached to the thydoi hormone.

TSH Range 0.35-5.50 mIU/L Result 27.24 This indicates that you are OVERTLY hypothyroid. You are not going to treat this with iodine supplementation. Your thyroid has went the way of the dodo.

Anti TPO Range 0-60 IU/ml Result 4628 AH! Nice this is quite high. You should get your TGAb run as well. This is one of two tests for Hashimoto's. This shows that your immune system is on a seek and destroy all Thyroid peroxidase enzymes with a vengence. Supplementing with iodine can aggravate this attack and speed up thyroid destruction in Hashimoto's patients. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin with a100% daily recommended dose of selenium in it. This should help bring these levels down.

My "previous" doctor did some testing and validaded that I had Hashimotos.
    He also did an iodine test. Hashimoto's came out positive(not sure of levels)
    TSH said was normal. He also did a urine test to see if my body was producing "iodine". He sais my body should have been producing 98% iodine and was only producing 48%. He put me on iodine supplements
    This can work if you have low thyroid function and not Hashimoto's. If you add iodine to a Hashi's patients.. it is like adding a catalyst to your thyroids destruction. Yes it temporarily boost thyroid output, but in the process it increases your bodies immune attack on thyroglobulin and TPO until your thyroid is obliterated. You most likely need complete thyroid hormone supplementation now.

After the emergency room episode, I hooked up with a new MD.
    My physician confered with an endocronologist. She said to STOP the iodine supplements and that may have been contributing to "whatever" is going on with me.
    I think this was a wise tactic. If your thyroid is non-operational now. You are just going to add iodine to a system that is no longer processing it efficiently. The end result could possible push into iodine toxicity issues.

I have now started Synthroid (75 MGC) 3 days ago.
    My physician told me follow up with the endocronologist in six weeks.

This is a good plan and a good time line. It takes 4-6 weeks for your blood levels to reach equilibrium and your physical symptoms to manifest. If you are still feeling like a cow patty introduced to an industrial fan at week 4 call and get your labs drawn then so that you can discuss them and adjust treatment immediately at your 6 week appointment. You need to get your Ft3 and FT4 levels drawn in addition to the TSH. You do not have a complete picture if you do not get an FT3 to go with the FT4.

I need to go back to work and experience some dizziness/panic attacks at times although it seem to be better since I started with Synthroid..Is the anxiety part of the condition and will only get better as my levels go down. I'm also thinking that it might be an emotional reaction to the whole thing
    How is your heart rate and blood pressure? Have you had your adrenal function tested? I need to see your FT3 level in conjunction with an FT4 level to get more detailed on adrenal issues. You may have more than Hashimoto's kicking your tail. It is very common. Also you should get your specialized hypoT mineral mimics tested:
    Ferritin, B12, vit D, DHEA, and magnesium. Depending on these levels and where you are in NORMAL range. You may need to supplement them. As time goes on and you purge excess iodine you should improve as well.

5) I have gained 11 pounds in the past year. I work out and eat well. I know it's not a lot but given that I take care of myself- I shouldn't have gained. Hoping to get back down to my weight with the synthroid. I was on synthroid for six weeks a while back and started gaining weight. Doc said to stop since my levels were normal. A few days after I stopped I "flushed" out a lot of water and immediatly ..lost 5 pounds .
    Synthroid does sometimes cause weight gain. In many cases it is because you need T3 supplementation as well. Or your appetite is hyperstimulated and your metabolism hasn't caught up. Also you need to test for glucose issues. In particular hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. This can be a side effect of long term under/untreated hypothyroidism.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain from synthroid? I am on a generic T4 supplement. It works better for me and is cheaper. Give it a thumbs up. I had continued weight gain, but it turns out it was due to insulin resistance and PCOS.

I know this is a long post..as you can see I'm not sure where to go with all this. I would appreciate any insights, suggestions or professional medical advice you might have.

No problem it is a rough ride to get going on. I have a thread series that might be of some help. Look over the two basic ones and it might just help you get a better grip on things.
    This is my take and intro on basic thyroid care and concerns knowledge and research
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

This is a continuation and goes into some of the more troublesome side effects of Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]

Welcome to our dysfuncitonal thyroid family. I hope you recieve the care you deserve and that you get as much support from these boards as I have.

MG

Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
    canadusa
    (female)

canadusa HB User

Thanks so much--I'm seeing an endocronologist tomorrow...I just need more answers ans will ask for all the other things you mentioned to be tested-will keep you posted and check out your website

Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

canadusa-Good luck with your drs. appt. I feel for you.Your TPO level is quite high! My TPO ab level was over 2500 and I felt hideous. That was when I was diagnosed and started synthroid. Over two yrs. the TPO abs have fallen in half. I do feel better, but for me it took quite some time. It seems others feel better alot faster. I am also coping with meno and have started hrt and feel like I have turned a corner and things are finally getting to rights.
    At least you will now get treatment and with time , things should get better. I cannot say that synthroid made me gain weight. For some being hypo will do that--in fact, so many complain of that.
    Just get your TSH to a proper level and continue with your good habits and you should do fine--it may just take a while so be prepared.

Last edited by osteoblast; 10-20-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Closed Thread