It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Tapazole and canker sores?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User
    Tapazole and canker sores?

I *never* get canker sores, ever. I've been on Tapazole, 30 mg daily, since September 2. I thought I'd bitten the side of my tongue over the weekend, because it was sore, but now I've found I have several - maybe 6 or 7 - canker sores under my tongue.

Is this something to be concerned about? Do I need to get my blood counts done?

Charisse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Tapazole and canker sores?

I have heard others complain of these.Your dose maybe too high for you. I would tell your doctor. It might just be a bothersome side effect, but you never know.You should have labs in 6 weeks after starting meds anyway.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

I had new labs done a month in (October 2), and I'm due to have them run again around November 2.

I'll give my doc a call tomorrow and see what she says.

Charisse

Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

I never had canker sores in my life until I was diagnosed hypothyroid. I take generic synthroid.

What I have been able to determine is that thyroid problems (especially hypothyroidism) can play havoc with your intestinal tract making it super sensiitive to acidic foods such as fruits and certain vegetables. I doubt that it is you medication. Try limiting your acidic foods and see if that helps.

Virtually, the only fruit I am able to eat on a daily basis without getting canker sores are bananas. That is good of course because they are high in the vit. C I need, potassium, and are supposed to be good for your intestinal tract. I've tried cooked fruit and raw fruit. Both give me canker sores. And, juice - forget it. I've had to give up a lot of things I love and replace them with others that have the same nutritional value.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

I was concerned because of a warning my doctor gave me about tapazole. She'd indicated that lesions in the throat (like a bad strep) or in the mouth might be indicative of a side effect and that I should call if I experienced any of that. I didn't know if canker sores counted.

The only fruit I really eat this time of the year are apples; I've never been able to tolerate orange juice, so no issues there. Vegetables are pretty bland - green beans, potatoes, corn, rarely broccoli. I *did* have a fairly garlic-intense dish over the weekend, but I've never had problems with garlic before.

I've called two days in a row now and left messages on the nurse's phone, but I've not heard back. The sores seem to be better today, so perhaps it's nothing.

Closed Thread