It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• ?? anxiety symptoms with hypothyroid ?? How about you??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User
    ?? anxiety symptoms with hypothyroid ?? How about you??

Just taking a poll-
    Anyone have anxiety with hypothyroidism?? I have researched several sites... some say anxiety is NOT a symptoms, others say yes!!!
    How about you?? And once your levels were " more normal" did you feel better??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User
    Re: ?? anxiety symptoms with hypothyroid ?? How about you??

I had mild anxiety being hypo both before and after TT, though the anxiety was much worse waiting to get on medication after RAI. Typically, I would have a terrible thought (like daughter being kidnapped, husband in an accident, me being raped: REALLY bad thoughts) about every other day. The thoughts were SO realistic and terrifying my heart would beat faster and sometimes I'd even cry. It was difficult to talk myself out of it sometimes, and the attacks were worse at night but could happen just whenever. The anxiety HAS lessened after being on medication. They happen a LOT less and don't seem so real. It's much easier to handle now. So yes, I definitely think this is a symptom. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Me too , I think anxiety is a part of hypo. But in my case , I think the combo of meno and hypo was just too much for my system. And when you consider how much the thyroid controls and how much estrogen affects our total functioning well.....there is no question that it is going to be a big challenge to stay on an even keel even with thyroid replacement. But, I will say thyroid replacement helped me ---just not enough.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Osteoblast,
    Yep, I am that age too- have perimenopause/menopause symptoms too... could that be the cause of some of this?? I never had any problems during my lifetime with anxiety, but now since half my thyroid is gone I am feeling anxious some days.
    I have not started synthyroid yet due trying to regulate my tachycardia
    ( another problem) and was just wondering if once my thyroid was in "more normal range" I would not have this anxiety at times.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

No doubt in my mind ~ anxiety was definitely a symptom for me. Never had anxiety issues before and when I went hypo I became VERY ANXIOUS!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Tired-Could be just the hypo , or a combination of hypo and estrogen declining. I guess you won't know for sure till you get your thyroid replacement going and check out what that feels like for awhile. Also have you had your estradiol level checked?
    I am not a proponent of hrt- it def. has its risks. But, I had osteoporosis and did not want to do a bisphosphonate--boniva, fosamax etc. So, I had to do something for my bones. In a way, I regret not doing it sooner. I am in my mid 50s. If I started earlier I would prob. have better bone density and not have gone through so much emotional turmoil- I think ...
    But everyone is different.I do not know what will work for you. Some people like various anxiety meds-like the ssri's. Or, some people take benzo's like lorazepam or clonazepam etc. If I am super stressed due to generally some medical fright ---like when they found a 3cm mass in my neck which had to be biopsied then the clonazepam helped alot. But they have high addiction potential and should only be used on an occasional basis. Probably it would help to learn some coping techniques and get some anxiety counselling.
    I am surprised more people haven't responded to your question about hypo causing anxiety because I think these hormonal fluctuations whether thyroid hormone or estrogen really get our systems out of whack.
    I would just say don't stew in the anxiety because it is bad for your health. I stewed in it too long. Seek the help you need , whatever that may be ---maybe reading inspiring books, or listening to music you love, doing what you love to do basically should help you to feel better. And then on the medical front keep pursuing optimum treatment. It will probably take awhile. Best of luck from someone who has been there and is still working through it.

Last edited by osteoblast; 10-22-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I never had anxiety attacks in my life and have been hypo for over 30 yrs but kept my Free t's in the upper ranges. It was not until a new dr. cut my thyroid meds down too much that I started to have anxiety attacks. My attacks showed up more as high blood pressure, heart paps, and high pulse rate. Dr. gave me Toprol to take during these periods. With toprol you can't abruptly stop taking all at once, but have to decrease and taper off it [took me a few days]. I had to gradually increase my meds as I was sensitive to increasing it too much too fast ever since dr. decreased it drastically too fast. Now I am back up to low normal levels and haven't had the attacks in about a yr. until the last wk or so. My bp and heartrate has been up a little and I think I need an increase in meds.

I also have Hashi's so that too can cause your levels to go up and down.

But, yes, hypothyroidism can definitely cause you to have anxiety attacks, high bp and heartrate even though they are more common with being hyper.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Thanks all the information... I was wondering if I was alone in these feelings.

Shmily,
    My FreeT's are at the very bottom of the range..and I have all the things you mentioned- heart palps, rapid heartbeat ( sudden develop of SVT) , and anxiety at times with very low blood pressure - all which I have NEVER had in my life.
    No doctor except my cardiologist suggests this is related to thyroid( my TSH is in normal range).
    I am hoping once I get my T's regulated I will feel better and especially my heart issues will resolve.
    Thanks all!!!

Last edited by tired47; 10-24-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
    iona_23
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

iona_23 HB User

anxiety is a daily struggle for me still....even if my lab results are "normal" on paper. being on synthroid for about a year now has made alot of the usual hypo symptoms go away....but there are times that anxiety has just about wanted me to crawl back into my hole in the ground and hide from the rest of the world. anxiety is a symptom in my book, cause when your levels are up to par, you do start feeling better.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

iona23,
    Did you have the anxiety issue all your life?? Or just when your thyroid was diagnosed?? Some days it is not bad... as and some I feel like you,just want to hide. I give myself a good 15 minutes of wallowing... letting the feeling exist, then I jump up and say enough, I will not let this control my life.Good luck to you!

Oteoblast,
    Thanks also for your info. I had my estrogen checked, was very high, low progesterone so I am low dose,estrdiol normal .... I am peri/menopause age.
    I try not to take any meds for anxiety, am doing accupunture,relaxation tapes and starting biofeedback.
    I do take melatonin at night if needed to sleep. Thanks for the inspiration and best wishes to you too!!

Last edited by tired47; 10-24-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

It was very wierd for me. After the TT surgery, while trying to get regulated on the levothyroxine...I would have horrible nightmares. I would wake up frozen with fear, afraid to move. SOmetimes I would remember the dreams, other times I wouldn't. It was VERY freaky. But it seems to have stopped since my meds are regulated and my labs are within normal ranges.

---mmmcoffee

Old 10-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

mmmcoffee-that is weird about your nightmares! Do you think it could have anything to do with the anesthesia you were under during TT. Some say they don't feel right in their head after anesthesia. After a colonoscopy , I felt totally out of it brain-wise for about 5 days--though it was just twilight anesthesia. Later when I had another procedure, under twilight at a difft. hosp. I showed the anesthesiologist the info about the colonscopy anesthesia --and he said he would give me less and thought considering my weight that I was over medicated. As I said it took some time to clear my head.I just sat around in a daze until the drugs cleared my body.
    Another thought about the nightmares is whether you were totally out at the TT. Maybe you were partially conscious of what was happening and it scared you and thus the nightmares??After hand surgery, I am pretty afraid and have a negative reaction to the hand surgeon --despite the fact that he is one of the nicest and most patient centered doctors I have been to. I had to see him recently, 2 yrs. after the surgery and still had the negative reaction to him and his office. My husband was with me and he says as I know --this is one of the nicest drs. I have seen.
    So--just thought I would throw this out about your nighmares -- thinking you may relate to it ?
    And, I wonder if hypo touches off anxiety because when our systems stray from the usual balance that sort of an internal alarm goes off resulting in anxiety. The anxiety is very real though from the hypo, and visceral like deep in the body. Not just something in our heads. That is how I see it. And, getting our levels to optimum helps for sure, but I have had a hard time stabilizing with hashi's and starting hrt and even when I had to supplement with iron because that threw my levels off too.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User

I think a lot of people classify anxiety and depression as opposites. So they think hypo= depression and hyper= anxiety. But of course anxiety and depression are closely related and not opposite at all. I have them both, naturally

Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User

Yep anxiety for me too...the 'thoughts' are shockers and linger with me day and night...horrible. Thankfully I've had it for long enough to know that they are just 'thoughts' and that its not 'real' but that doesnt make it any easier to deal with when I'm having a bad day. I'm slowly moving across from T4 meds to Armour (well an equivalent of Armour) and am hoping that this helps level me out. I've been dealing with anxiety for 3 years now...it started 12 months before I had a TT for a massive multi nodular goiter - it was then found after that Op that I had Hashis.

Good luck with you and anyone else suffering with it - it really is horrible but you still have to get on with your life and try not to let it control you

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
    Adrenal Fatigue
    180mg NTH
    28mg HC
    2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
    Dawn80
    (female)

Dawn80 HB User

Yes, Yes, Yes! I've had bad anxiety for the last two years and found out I'm hypo. I've been on medicine for three months and I still have the anxiety like you talked about: having bad thoughts and worry. After two years I'm sick of feeling this way but I don't want to take anxiety pills. I'm hope the longer I'm on the Synthyroid the more likely it will go away. How does anyone else deal with the anxiety?

Closed Thread