It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• test results question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
    JenniSssss
    (female)

JenniSssss HB User
    test results question

I was diagnosed hypo about 12 years ago. I had been on generics for a while, and when I moved I found an endo (I'd only been to a GP before) and he moved me to non-generic Synthroid. That was last year.
    I'd gone through a rough spell a few months ago - super tired, super moody, just not feeling "right", really weird occasional itching right before bed - but had chalked it up to a recent move and work stress.

I got my results back today.
    TSH - .96
    T4 - 1.6

My doctor seemed okay with this, as they're keeping me on the same dose. I know the TSH level is within normal range. From what I'm reading, the T4 level is pretty low.

My question is - should I have him revisit this, or am I misunderstanding what "normal" would be? Most of the symptoms above have stopped, but I know I could feel better.

Any feedback is REALLY appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: test results question

We need to know the range your lab uses in order to tell you how your free T4 level stacks up against it. According to the most commonly used ranges, though, 1.6 should be adequate, but everyone is different. (For me, 1.6 on my lab's .8-1.8 range would be too high. I would feel hyper at that level.)

It's entirely possible that your generic might have been working better for you than Synthroid. There are real differences in the way any particular formula works for individual people. If you felt better on the generic, you should ask to be switched back to see if your symptoms resolve.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: test results question

You need the FREE T4 and Free T3 tests run. Your TSH however looks good. What are your continuing symptoms? I like my generics. My Endo and Im preferred the name brand. But I had issues on Synthroid. The generics have been steady freddy's for me. Go with what works for you. It is your body.

MG

Closed Thread