It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please help me understand my blood results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
    amandah1974
    (female)

amandah1974 HB User
    Question Please help me understand my blood results

I live in an non english speaking country (Italy) and I really want to understand my blood results as my doctor is hard to understand. if anyone can help id really appreciate it.

s-ft3 4.2 (normal range 2.8-7.1)
    S-ft4 18.4 (range 11.5-24.5)
    S-TSH 0.478 (range 0.270-4.500

S-ab ANTI TIREOGLOBULINA 35 (range- 5-100)
    S-ab ANTI TIREOPEROSSIDASI 61 (range <16

I have started to feel very odd, confused, heart racing, panic attacks, sweaty etc.

Thanks so much for any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Please help me understand my blood results

s-ft3 4.2 (normal range 2.8-7.1) A woman of childbearing age wants to be in the 50-80% range of normal here. When we are not we tend to have symptoms. Early on in Hashimoto's you rocket between mild hypoT to hyperT. This begins to reverse as more and more of your thyroid is obliterated. You will hit a more hypoT state with the occasional mild HyperT spike.. until you go completely hypoT. Right now you are at 32.6% of range. This is too low for a woman of childbearing years. your T3 hormones are you active metaboilic hormone fuel. they regulate digestion, weight maintanence, body temp, blood pressure and much more. You are suboptimal and probably would benefit from suplementation.

S-ft4 18.4 (range 11.5-24.5)
    Let us see where you are here. You want to be around 60% or a bit higher in this level if you are trying to have kids. The developing fetus is dependent on your T4 levels for the first 12 weeks. As a result low T4 in Hashimoto's patients of childbearing age is reason for proactive treatment. You are 53% of normal range here. This is showing that you have a higher T4 level than T3 level. You are also out of balance in your levels. This could be due to T4 spikes as your thyroid is attacked or it could be the result of poor T4 to T3 conversion in the liver. Either way your FT values do not indicate hyperthyroid levels.

S-TSH 0.478 (range 0.270-4.500)
    This is trending hyperthyroid, but is still with in the more recent 0.3-2.5 US accepted range. This is most likely a side effect of T4 spikes associated with autoimmune destruction of your thyroid tissue.

S-ab ANTI TIREOGLOBULINA 35 (range- 5-100)
    S-ab ANTI TIREOPEROSSIDASI 61 (range <16)
    This is the US TPOAb. It is a positive indicator of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. You h ave tested positive here and thus have Active Hashimoto's thyroiditis, aka autoimmune thyroiditis.

As time goes by the antibody levels will rise and the dominance between TPOAb and TGAb destruction may shift/activate. Have you been pregnant recently, started a new hormonal medication like a BC pill(Yaz), been very ill with a virus like Mono? By recent I mean the last 6 months to 2 years. These are common triggers for Hashimoto's. The symptoms you are describing are classic early Hashimoto's symptoms. Did your MD give you 25-50 mcgs of synthroid?

Before starting a supplement you need to check your T4 to T3 conversion by checking your adrenal cortisol and ACTH levels as well as your RT3 levels. You may just need some T3 now. You will eventually need some T4 supplementation as Hashimoto's progresses.

Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family. Here are some starting threads where i compiled information on hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's. They might help you educate yourself in order to talk to your MD. Are you returning to the US soon? Make sure you get a copy of all you blood work and keep it with you.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]

Good luck at getting the care you need.

MG

Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
    amandah1974
    (female)

amandah1974 HB User
    Re: Please help me understand my blood results

Thank you so much for that detailed response, I take 100 mgs of thyroxine (eutirox) 5 days a week, 50mg one day and the other day I dont take any medication.
    I have had a baby in the last three years, in fact twins, I suffered horrendous post partum hypothyroidism. I am in fact just thinking to try for another baby, hence the desire to understand whats going on with my thyroid, and if it is safe to conceive. Would you say that it is not safe to conceive at this time?

Thank you again

Closed Thread