It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cold thyroid nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
    chloe04
    (female)

chloe04 HB User
    Cold thyroid nodule

I'm just a little frustrated, scared and not sure what to do. I have a 1.7cm nodule which during the thyroid scan came up cold. I'm having some hyperthyroid symptoms but all my results came back normal. My lymph nodes on the side that has the nodule are enlarged and have been for the last 15 years. So they have scheduled a biopsy but it can't be done until the middle of Dec. I guess what I'm worried about is if it is something is waiting until Dec. a good idea. And what are the chances that it is something serious? Sorry just had to vent a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Cold thyroid nodule

Yes, you can wait until December, no problems, except I'm sure waiting will make you crazy.

What kind of doctor you seeing? My endo. does the needle biopsies in his office, as does the ENT I used, so scheduling it wasn't a big deal at all. But you are in Canada, so it's different.

Nodules are most often nothing, and really common.

They just want to get a sample of cells to figure out if the nodule needs to be removed or just watched, they want to rule out cancer if they can---but even if it were thyroid cancer (it's likely not, as only 5% of nodules are cancerous) it's very slow growing (and not deadly or anything), so there's no emergency to get this done immediately.

Last edited by Reece; 10-24-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
    chloe04
    (female)

chloe04 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. It is hard not to worry. I've called my family doctor, spoke with the receptionist and let her know when they've scheduled the biopsy. I just get so worried since it is a cold nodule, the size of it and the fact that my lymph nodes are enlarged. I guess I just have to be patient and wait.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

I have the exact same thing, cold nodule same size shown on uptake thyroid scan, & CT
    scan . Have lymph node enlargement also. I am getting results of actual thyroid scan
    on Mon. I think I will be told to have biopsy also. I have been through so much testing because according to ENT the size of nodule wasnt really indicated ? According to the Xray tech the size was told but he wanted a thyroid scan . I have been a nervous wreck also because I have been waiting so long. The ENT was on vacation last week so I had to wait for appt. I am also aggrivated because I have so many symptoms of Hashimotos & I want medication if necessary. Good Luck to you I know exactly what your going through.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
    tammi86
    Inactive
    (female)

tammi86 HB User

I found what became a huge lump overnight and it turned out to be a cold nodule on my thyroid. my doctor was great and got me in for an ultrasound and thyroid scan pretty much straight away. the mass is very noticable (you can see it now) and is about 7cmx5cm. the guys who did the thyroid scan decided to do a CT scan which worried me a bit as the doctor hadnt ordered it. now i am just waiting to get a biopsy done, which i am booked in for tuesday. its pretty stressful as soon as they say cold nodule...esspecially when the doctor says that its not what they want to see!

Closed Thread