It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New labs....need help interpreting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User
    New labs....need help interpreting

RT3 183 (90-350)
    Cortisol (done at 8:15am) 22.2 (3.1-22.4)

Both labs were stamped normal. I don't know where The RT3 should be, but I'm concerned the cortisol is so close to being high and my doctor says it's normal. When I gain weight, it's always around my mid section.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: New labs....need help interpreting

Your FT3 is low in comparison to your FT4? Right? If this is the case, give your high normal Cortisol you may require T3 supplementation. You should post your TSH, FT3 and FT4 levels along with adrenal information it is all interlinked.

MG

Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

Sorry, here are all the labs.

TSH .339 (.450-4.50)
    FT4 1.19 (.61-1.76)
    FT3 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
    RT3 183 (90-350)
    Cortisol 22.2 (3.1-22.4) done at 8:15am

If I do need some T3, how would that work since I'm only taking 50mcg of Synthroid. Would that need to be cut in half or would I just need some T3 along with the 50mcg? Since my doctor thinks my levels are all fine, I'd probably have to find a new doctor and start all over.

Is Cortisol supposed to be high in the morning?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Your RT3 is low, but your FT3 is low, too? Interesting, cuz if RT3 is low, FT3 should be higher than what you are at.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

What do you think that could mean? I fasted for both RT3 and Cortisol tests and I also take Advair if that helps any.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I think you need T3 supplementation. Your Cortisol is high normal and the RT3 Ft3 levels are showing a suppression effect. You are not classic cushings, but you are most likely over producing cortisol for you. Supplementing even a smidge of T3 should help. The question is.. is your MD going to go for it. I would try and talk him into a trial of 2.5/5 mcg T3 twice a day. This is a LOW dosing regime and may take the edge off of your hypoT symptoms.

TSH .339 (.450-4.50)
    FT4 1.19 (.61-1.76) 50% of normal here so you have a bit of wiggle room to increase your levels.
    FT3 2.9 (2.3-4.2) 31% of normal here.. you really need this up more than the T4. By adding a T3 supplement your T4 levels may reach optimal. I wouldn't neccessarily cut the T4 supplement. I would add the 2.5 mcgs of T3 twice a day and increase it to 5 x2 daily after 4 weeks it the blood work comes back normal with the T3 levels still below the T4 levels.

RT3 183 (90-350) 38% of normal. A bit low. You would expect a T3 level in the upper part of normal with RT3 level this low.

ortisol 22.2 (3.1-22.4) done at 8:15am.. GOOD Draw Time. You are 98.9% of normal in range. This is above the optimal range. My Im says that the 40-60% of normal range is best for people. My blood work is balanced if I keep my cortisol supplemented and in the 65% range of normal. I know each person is different, but given the two main T3 conversion factors investigated your cortisol appears to be too high.

Advair should not effect things too much. Nor nasal steriods such as nasonex or flonase. What supplements are you taking? Any adrenal/thyroid support meds? How are your triglycerides and DHEA? You may have an adrenal conversion error as a source of the high normal cortisol. IT comes back to the just cause it is in NORMAL range, doesn't mean it is NORMAL for you arguement.

Good luck,
    MG

Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I just read that cortisol levels are supposed to be very high in the morning to give you energy, but I'm still always tired in the morning, so maybe it's high due to stress?

I just recently had a cholesterol test done yesterday (not fasting), so I won't have those results for another week. I had those done at a health fair. My dr. doesn't check choleserol. I haven't had a DHEA test done since 2002, but I remember they were low. I've always had low estrogen. This time around my endo only tested for cortisol. Since she thinks everything is normal, I have a feeling I'd have a hard time convincing her I need T3.

As far as supplements, I'm just taking 1000mg Vitamin D a day, magnesium, calcium, and a multi-vitamin (when I remember). No adrenal supplements.

I'm also wondering if I have PCOS due to the low estrogen issues, insulin resistance (hypoglycemia), facial hairs and always gaining weight around my belly area. I may mention this to my dr. at my appointment next year. I don't have any tumors so I don't know how they would confirm this.

Since I'm still sick, I can't tell if I'm feeling bad because of the cold or thyroid, so I guess I'll have to wait until I'm over the cold before I call my doctor again.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cortisol levels are at the highest in the morning. True. But Optimal is not 100% of the normal range. There is an exponential decay of cortisol levels as the day goes by with your lowest levels at 12 am. Your highest should be around 8 am after a full nights sleep.

It is possible that you have PCOS. You need an MD willing to test you for all the factors and evaluate you at the peak of your ovulation cycle. This is when your blood will give the best indicators for a positive PCOS finding if you have PCOS.

How are they treating your insulin resistance? Metaformin?

MG

Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #9
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I just found out my chiropractor has the saliva test at his office, so I'm going to do that in January (need to wait until my flex insurance money starts over). I also see my endo again in January, so I'll mention the PCOS to her then. She seems to be willing to let me take any tests I want. Convincing her of changing meds though might be more difficult if the tests don't come back negative.

My insulin resistance is hypoglycemia, so I'm just handling that with diet.

I think I had an allergic reaction to the Omnicef. Last night my throat kept closing up when I'd lie down. My dad had the same reaction to an antibiotic and is allergice to sulfur and penicillin. The first few days it made me really dizzy and tired, so maybe this was a delayed reaction. At any rate, it's not helping my cold so it must not have been an infection after all. I'm not taking it anymore. I'm going to call my endo today and see if she has any suggestions as to what I can take since I can't take decongestants. I've been sick for 2 weeks now. This is getting old.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well I wasn't allowed decongestants after my sinus surgery. The only thing to help the congestion was adding a nasal oil/emoleant to my saline rinsing. I also had to make sure to take an antihistamine. Even if I didn't have allergic issues at their fullest, it slowed the mucus production. The nasal oil that worked well for me and my husband post surgery was Ponaris Nasal Oil. This is OTC and your pharmacy can order it for you. It is often not kept in stock.

The next option is a steriodal nasal spray. Nasonex hits the widest base of offenders. Are you on a nasal spray already? The OTC version for SHORT TERM use only is Afrin. Afrin is addictive so you do not want to use it LONG term, 7-14 days tends to be the limit for most.

I got the giggles when you mentioned your father. My mom is allergic to sulfa drugs, the cillins, and the e-mycins. SO am I! What is up with that? Also there is a 20% cross over that is you are allergic to a cillin you will be allergic to a given cephalosporin.

Now you say your throat is closing on you? Where? Was your tongue swollen, did you have a rash? You may need to get tested for a fungal infection versus a bacteria infection. There is a nasty round of respiratory viruses going about. The one in my area that goes all the way down to Mississippi, has been hitting people and converting into walking pneumonia! It is not a pleasant bug. You might also get your GP to culture your blood. A CBC should allow for seeing what your body is fighting. Viral/bacteria. If it is just allergic in nature your blood should come back clean and optimally normal.

I wish that you get well soon.

MG

Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

It felt like it was closing up in the back of my throat. I also had a little acid reflux too and all I had eaten was chicken soup, so nothing that would cause that. I also started having diahrrea yesterday, which was also listed as an allergic reaction to Omnicef. I've taken Amoxicillin and Zithromax in the past and had no problems, so I'm not sure what's different about this stuff. No, no rash and my tongue didn't feel swollen.

I think I do have whatever virus is going around, so an antibiotic won't help it anyway. A co-worker is taking Maxifed for hers and said she didn't have as bad a reaction from that as she did from Sudafed, so I'm wondering if that would be ok to take even though it's still a decongestant. I'm getting desperate to get better.

I do take Nasonex already and it seems to help a little, but I'm still very congested. I've gone thru 3 boxes of tissues in the last week.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well given that symptom set and no allergy to cillins I would be reluctant to cry allergic to the omnicef. I do think that you may have an intolerance/sensitivity going on due to the illness.

I would add the ponaris nasal oil if I was you. I can chug decongestants.. they do not bother my system adversely. Heck I was taking the maximum allowed prescription dosage daily before my sinus surgery. Now I just need it occasionally. There are nasal decongestant sprays as well. They will dry out your membranes like crazy though.. but it goes tot he source versus having to hit as high a concentration in the blood. My ENT did this a few days before my surgery.

Good luck.
    MG

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I just came from the doctor and he said it did sound like it was an allergic reaction to the Omnicef, not necessarily penicillin. I see an allergy/asthma doctor next year, so I'll get tested for penicillin allergies just to make sure. He still thinks it's just a cold so he gave me a nasal spray similar to allergy medicines like Benedryl and Claritin, and if that doesn't clear me up, he gave me a prescription for the Z-pack since I've taken it before with no problems. He said that and Amoxicillin are in a different family than Omnicef.

I'm broke until payday, so if none of this works, I'll try your nasal oil. I just don't have any money other than what my insurance covers right now.

Closed Thread