It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• synthroid vs armour - and rapid weight gain - please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
    nestlechick
    (female)

nestlechick HB User
    synthroid vs armour - and rapid weight gain - please help

I had been on a natural thyroid. My Dr is no longer practicing, so I went to my PCP, who said that he thought the natural thyroid was "bad medicine " his quote

Anyway, I have gained 30 pounds in 6 months.

Can someone please explain why this has happenedto me in layman's terms?

In addition to the weight gain, I am freezing! Last year at this time., I was a furnace (according to my husband). Now, he says that the pilot light has went out.

One last thought, I am getting these dry patches on my feet - what's up with that!

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: synthroid vs armour - and rapid weight gain - please help

Your thyroid gland is supposed to make two main hormones, T4 and T3. (It also makes smaller amounts of other thyroid hormones. Their roles in metabolism haven't been clearly defined by science, but hey... If the gland makes them, they serve a purpose.)

Synthroid is a T4-only medicine. Armour thyroid contains not only both T4 and T3, but those other T hormones as well. T4 is the "storage" hormone; T3 is the active one. Your body needs both. MDs have been erroneously taught that the body will convert as much T4 to T3 as it needs. The truth is that many people do not convert adequately, and that's exactly why they remain hypothyroid despite what are considered to be full replacement doses of T4. There's no doubt in my mind that you have conversion issues and that's why Synthroid isn't doing the job for you.

If your MD wants to remain ignorant about the need for T3, find a more open-minded one. Don't allow yourself to be maltreated just because of his block-headedness. You know how you felt while taking Armour, and you know how you feel now. Which would you say is the "bad medicine"?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have never taken Synthroid but my Endo says once someone takes T3 it is almost impossible to take them to just a T4 medication. He says they just do not feel good on just a t4. Says it is a bad idea......

Ask you Doc to put you on Thyrolar2 if he is not an Armour Fan......I took that and it is made by the same company that makes Armour....I felt great on it... Just a suggestion..........if he insists on Synthroid I would change ASAP......

My feet were like that before I found out I had hypothyroidism and my thryoid was in the dirt for a long time before I got diagnoised.......My feet are fine now.

Oleander

Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
    nestlechick
    (female)

nestlechick HB User

Thanks for your input.

You asked what I thought was good medicine. Well, the answer is: whatever works for me.... as long as it is not dangerous.

The good news is that I have an appt on Friday with a DR who is listed on the Armour site as someone who will prescribe it.

I also have an appt with an endo ...but could not get in until 12.10..yikes!

The last time I was at my previous PCP, I decided that I might as well talk to the wall. At least I know upfront that the wall does not care.

One last thought...when they said "we'll see ya back in 4 weeks...I replied "what you ar really saying is that you will see me back in 5-6 pounds".

Thanks for replying. I am now hopeful that something will change soon!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Your MD whether you are on a T4 only or T4/T3 combo needs to follow your Ft3 and Ft4 levels. You could easily have had a conversion issue that made the T3 necessary. If you are a poor T4 to T3 converter. It doesn't matter how much T4 you are given, you will not meet your T3 needs. Our bodies need a balance of T4 and T3 in your system. Any thyroid treating MD that doesn't see this SHOULD NOT be treating thyroid conditions in my opinion. Make sure when you go to the Armour MD that you have a statement from your hubby about your issues on Armour versus on Synthroid. Also make sure that you have copies of your old MD and current MDs treatment plans and blood work.

I think that you thyroid levels are off and that you need to get back on what was optimal for you. Your current MD sounds like a DONKEY!

MG

Closed Thread