It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• The Weight Gain Issue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
    lexa444
    (female)

lexa444 HB User
    The Weight Gain Issue

Summary: March 08 doctor says your thyroid is about the size of a small orange. We will remove the right side and your left side will compensate. May 08 have the surgery. Three days later, at home, surgeon calls. Wants to know if I can come in. I say no, not today, but I will tomorrow. He proceeds to tell me, "You have cancer..". On the phone, thanks. Go back in the next day, total thyroid removal. Fornicular cancer. RAI treatment a few weeks later. Waiting for results.

Now? Biggest issue (quite literally) the #@%$# weight gain. Was on cytomel, switched to Synthroid. Told the doctor I'd rather not pay that much for the rest of my life for the pills, so he switches me to levothyroxine. Trying out doses. GAINING WEIGHT RAPIDLY. Endo has become a selective mute during visits. Can't get any answers. Go online to find some, and what do I get? A bunch of e-doctors telling people that they/I just need to exercise. Weight gain really has nothing to do with all this!

B-S.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. The freaking side effects listed for the pills SAY SO. My enlarged a$$, thighs, face, and stomach say so. I assume I'm in the hypo realm. Was hyper before the surgery. I'd seriously rather be hyper again. Considering messing with my own doses, and have a bottle of Cytomel with 3 refills - considering trying that too, against the doctor's advice. Sorry, but I don't want to be fat.

It just seems rational that you take these pills that effect your thryoid levels (whatever all that means - can't figure it all out). Your thyroid levels control metabolism? Your metabolism helps control weight? Why can't I take higher doses to increase the levels, thus increasing metabolism or whatever it is that makes you gain/lose weight?

Oh, and, yes..my hair falls out like crazy, ridges in nails which are almost see-through, dry skin, ETC. This blows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: The Weight Gain Issue

What are your Ft3 and ft4 levels? Is your MD testing these? If so get a copy of your last results and post them and their associated ranges here for evaluation. Many things can cause weight gain. From too little T4 and T3 in your system to insulin resistance. Here are some threads I have worked up in a series on thyriod care and concerns. They may just help you get a handle on your MD. Also your MD may be a thyroid dud. I dug up some top thyroid names for Lynnbug. She is in SC as well. You might want to look and see if any of those names match your MD or are close to you in your area.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=601986[/url]

Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family and I hope that you get the care you deserve soon.
    MG

Last edited by Administrator; 05-10-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
    lexa444
    (female)

lexa444 HB User

Ok, but I don't understand why the side effects of the pills say weight gain....?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
    lexa444
    (female)

lexa444 HB User

Thanks for the info. <My doctor is> not a "bad" doctor, I just don't know how to get him to answer my questions, even when directly asking him. The surgeon was the same way. They seem too busy or something. I LOVE the nurses though. Nurses are awesome.

I don't really know how to read this diagnostic report thing.
    It says:
    T-4 free 1.1 in range, .8-1.8 ng/dL
    TSH, 3rd generation, 5.83H, mIU/L

I was on 100mcg of levoxy before this test, he increased it to 112mcg. He also wrote a note on there saying the "TSH is still high", so I don't understand how increasing the dose lowers a level.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-10-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

Your body produces TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) to get the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone. So an increase in your med. would give your body that extra hormone and therefore suppress the TSH. As long as you are hypo (TSH above 2.5) you may have issues with weight gain. In your case as in mine (cancer) we need to suppress the TSH down to 0.1 to prevent recurrence.

Think of TSH as a "request" for more T4 and T3! And when your thyroid is defective you have give your body what it needs in the form of a pill.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-10-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I don't really know how to read this diagnostic report thing.
    It says:
    T-4 free 1.1 in range, .8-1.8 ng/dL
    This shows that you are 30% in range. This is suboptimal. Given that your TSH is above 5 and your FT4 levels are at 30%, I suspect that your T3 levels are even lower.

TSH, 3rd generation, 5.83H, mIU/L The higher the TSH the more hypothyroid you are... thus adding the needed thyroid hormone LOWERS your TSH. HOWEVER I suspect that you need your Ft3 levels checked and may need T3 supplementation in addition to T4 supplementation.

MG

Last edited by Administrator; 05-10-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Thyroid hormone is an exact duplicate of the hormone your gland used to make. It's natural to the body, so the side effects are almost always related to incorrect dosage, not to the pills themselves. You're gaining weight because you're hypothyroid, not from the pills.

Your TSH is waaayyy too high for someone with a gland, but it's astronomical for a thyroid cancer survivor. It needs to be suppressed to well below 1 - I've forgotten the exact level it should be; Reece or another thy cancer survivor can help you there.

You shouldn't be expecting to get your dosage right just "like that". It takes time - usually months - and many adjustments to find the right one for you.

An educated thyroid patient always does better and feels more in control. If I may respectfully say, there's a lot you don't yet know. Get yourself a copy of Thyroid for Dummies, which is a great book for explaining the basics. Also, start reading our "Information Archive", which should help, too.

Closed Thread