It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What can I do next?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
    lucy2
    (female)

lucy2 HB User
    What can I do next?

Hi all. Lucy here. I had a tt in june, went on .01 of synthroid. was tested in august and low and behold, my tsh was .10 (.5-5.0)...so my gp lowers me to .075. got tested yesterday...tsh is 50.81...great. might explain me sleeping 10 hours a day, naps and rapid weight gain? his nurse calls and says he is raising the synthroid to .088. I say thats not enough. When she first called she said something like....I dont know if the first test was wrong, but you are off the charts now at 50.81. This same lab did my tests in january when I was first so sick and my tsh was .10 then, too. could it be they mailed the wrong results in august? I am so upset right now. I am sure .088 is not going to be good enough and I need to wait 2 more months for retesting. I called back and his office is closed for the day. I want to call back and argue with him to up my dose more than he did. Do you think I am right or can it flucuate this much? My endo recommended .01 after surgery and said it should be just right according to my weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: What can I do next?

You must find an MD who does not worship TSH and prescribes only according to it. Your free T4 and free T3 levels must be monitored, and the dosage must be regulated according to those. TSH is volatile (even though med schools teach otherwise - they're wrong). I know people whose docs watch only TSH, and their doses are being changed every couple of months. They also don't feel so hot.

One thing you may not know is that big changes in dosage can knock one for a loop. The changes must be made slowly. The bump up from .075 to .088 is reasonable. Just don't tolerate being given that dose for longer than 6 weeks if you don't feel well when that timeframe is up. If you felt perfectly well at .1 mg, with neither hypo nor hyper signs, you should be allowed to remain there, as long as your free Ts don't exceed about 75% of their ranges. But then, you apparently don't have an MD who knows the importance of these - the actual thyroid hormones.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by midwest1; 10-29-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
    lucy2
    (female)

lucy2 HB User

Thank you for your post. I am so jealous of all you well educated thyroid people. I cant seem to grasp all of it as well as you guys. I think a new doc is in order. This is the same gp that let me get so sick with graves in the first place in january. Gave me pills for the 'runs' and depression meds. My hands were shakey, I told him I could feel my heart beat clear up into my head, lost tons of weight, and his office doesnt do pulses... and he did't get it. Now he rufuses to test any tfree anythings. Maybe my endo will take me back. He was so quick to dismiss me. Hypers seem to 'need' an endo moreso than a hypo in all the doctors opinions around my town. ANYONE can handle hypos according to most doctors around here. I beg to differ these days. Thanks again for your knowledge.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Is your GP just going by TSH? If so he is a fool. You need an Md that is going to test you in TSH, FT3, and FT4 levels. An increase of 12 mcgs is not going to cover this. And if it is not T4 level dependent, but poor T3 conversion causing the TSH spike.. well then you need additional testing and possibly a T3 supplement as well.

Call your Endo and tell them of your GPs tampering with your medication level. Send the latest TSH reading as well. Then see if your Endo will write a script for the 100 mcgs and a lab slip for TSH, Ft3, FT4 testing for you. In the mean time, if I were you I would be looking for a different MD to manage my day to day thyroid care and management. Get a recommendation from your Endo for a good IM/GP that knows and follows thyroids carefully, With every level change you can test your level change every 4 weeks. You do not have to wait TWO months. Given your TSH level I would push testing in two weeks. That is what it takes normally for your body to reach equilibrium.. the added time between testing is to allow for the symptoms to catch up with that equilibrium state.

I am SO SORRY that you are going through this. I hope that you get relief soon.
    MG

Closed Thread