It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 20 year old thyroid issues ??? Please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
    bmeister
    (female)

bmeister HB User
    Question 20 year old thyroid issues ??? Please help

Recently my daughter (age 20) has experienced extreme fatigue, muscle soreness, stomach pains, back aches so she went to the GP to have some test done. The GP said that she was just depressed (new motherhood although the baby is almost 2 yrs) and that was causing the problems. My daughter said ok.. but things persisted and she went back again to the GP. This time the GP said it was normal to be tired with a child and working. Again she went back after trying to work and live with the discomfort. This time she had UTI after UTI… nothing seemed to cure it. Finally the GP sent her for an ultra sound and CT. The GP did a few tests after my daughter insisted that there WAS something wrong. The GP did some blood work (CBC and check for anemia and not sure what else) The results showed nothing so the GP said you must have endodemetriosis and sent her to an OBGYN. The OBGYN did some test and just called her back and gave her test results:

TSH <0.01 ulU/mL (f)
    T4 Free 4.2 ng/dL H

The OBGYN said she needs to go back to her GP because her tests on her thyroid were off. How far off are these tests??? Should she be going to an Endo. Doctor?? I am concerned that the GP is just going to stick her on some medicine and say see you in a few months. Am I justified for feeling this way? I work in a large area hospital (I am not in the medical field) so I was wondering if I should just look for an endo. Doctor there. Also… if it is a thyroid problem, is it normal for a 20 year old? I only see most thyroid problems in older women.

Thanks for all your time
    B~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User
    Re: 20 year old thyroid issues ??? Please help

everyone in my family that has thyroid problems didnt get theirs until later in life but Im only 22 and i was diagnosed when i was 16.
    some people just develop it earlier in life.

the dr will most likely start her on meds and keep checking her levels until its back to normal.

Last edited by ymoore86; 10-28-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
    BubblyRo
    (female)

BubblyRo HB User

It happens, that's for sure.

When I was 19 I went into the doctor because I was having migraine like headaches, sleeping all the time, and lost a ton of weight very quickly. They just told me I was stressed out because of school and sent me out the door with a slip for prescription strength ibuprofen. After a week I still felt like complete crap and wasn't taking the ibuprofen because the high dosage made me feel even worse. I saw a different doctor and he tested my thyroid. It was so hyper that he ran a second test because he thought the number was a lab error. Also at that point, he actually took the time to notice my high pulse rate (120!!!). I had RAI a month later and have been dealing with the repercussions ever since...and I am 25 now.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

Ask the doctor for the ranges to go with the lab work. Different labs/tests have different ranges.

From what my endo told me, hyperthyroidism tends to occur in the early 20's and mid 40's. I was diagnosed at 45 (back in June of this year), and I have a student whose sister was diagnosed at 19.

Good luck! The proper meds can make all the difference in the world. Two months ago, I thought I was going to have to take a year off from school, because I could hardly make it through the day. I don't quite feel back to normal yet, but even my students would tell you they've seen a huge difference.

Charisse

Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
    bmeister
    (female)

bmeister HB User
    Post Re: 20 year old thyroid issues ??? Please help

Thank you everyone that has responded to this post. My daughter insisted that the doctor do another thyroid test and she was just called on Sunday night by her doctor and she was told the test were almost the same. Today the doctor called again and told her that the results of another test was in and she was calling in a prescription for her (propylthiouracil) and she wanted her to have an ultra sound. She also stated that my daughter needed to familiarize herself with Hashimoto. Now we are off to do more research. I am hoping that this was caught in the early stages. From what I have read so far, first it acts like hyperthyroidism and then changes to hypothyroidism. She definitely hasn't had any weight gain. Is actually gone down to a size 3. Does anyone else here have Hashimoto?

Thanks Again
    B~

Closed Thread