It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid storm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
    ammienoel
    (female)

ammienoel HB User
    thyroid storm

I hope you all don't mind newbies here. I've been reading and it sounds like some of you have an amazing amount of knowledge. I am really just beginning my research.

My husband, 44 at the time, had a thyroid storm about a year ago. It was really touch and go for awhile there. Now that I understand the symptoms it is apparent that he was suffering for quite awhile before he agreed to seek treatment (that whole I-don't-wanna-miss-work-it's-not-a-big-deal guy thing). The local hospital put him on beta-blockers to try and slow down his heart rate but he had a horrible reaction to those. He ended up being life-flighted to a regional hospital where he was finally diagnosed and treated. He suffered multiple organ failure, was intibated, unconcious and in the CICU for 12 days followed by five weeks of recovery in medicine (it's amazing what happens when your heart stops for 8 minutes!). He did eventually come home and even returned to work, something the docs never thought would happen.

We still see the endo about every three or four months, but I'm never sure exactly what is going on. He has been taking huge doses of PTU since he returned home. At first it was 32 tablets a day (they are 50's) but now he is down to 16. His most recent blood tests list his TSH as
    .02, his T3 as 4.92, and his T4 is 1.23. I've looked up what is considered normal and the range is so broad, how can they possibly figure this stuff out?

During his hospital stay it was all I could do to keep my kids and myself together. I didn't have the time or energy to do much research on my own. Other life changing events have taken up most of my time until recently and now I really want to try and understand all of this! Has anyone here been through a thyroid storm? And how exactly are these test results used to determine a course of treatment? He has an appointment with the endo next week and I'd really like to understand what is going on. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User
    Re: thyroid storm

Wow - sounds like your husband was very lucky! I've not had a personal experience with a thyroid storm, but I am hyperthyroid. I know how horrid I felt before I started my treatment, and I'm not taking nearly amount of medication your husband is. (I'm on tapazole, not PTU.)

As for the numbers you're quoting from his bloodwork, you need to find out what the ranges are for the particular lab he's using in order to understand what they mean. I go through two different labs, depending on whether I'm stopping in while at work or from my home, and the ranges on the tests are dramatically different.

Charisse

Closed Thread