It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Had fine needle biopsy of nodule today...not as bad Ive read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User
    Had fine needle biopsy of nodule today...not as bad Ive read

Had FNA of 2cm nodule today. I was so worked up after reading others experiences with the test. . It went like this , went in room on table, Dr numbed neck w/ lidocaine. & went right in with the needle , I wasnt sure if I was even numb because he started right away. He actually took 7 samples
    (passes as they say) . They send 14 slides to the lab & 2 pathologists findings must match or they send to Johns Hopkins for another opinion. That made me feel good knowing its a thorough test. I am hoping for the best of course. There wasnt much pain while doing it, the pain is after , its a very achy feeling in the neck like when you have swollen glands. Nothing as bad as I imagined. I hope others have an easy time as well if this is needed. In what I have read never has anyone said they had that many "sticks" but I am glad they took enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Had fine needle biopsy of nodule today...not as bad Ive read

Glad to hear you had no pain during procedure. You are very fortunate. When I had my 3cm thyroid mass(that is what they call it) biopsied , it was so painful that I do not think I could go through it again without twilight anesthesia. Could the dr. have been so awful in technique--I don't get it? Well, he used 6 needles on me and each needle took 20 samples, so I was jabbed 120 times. Now, I do not understand 7 passes. Was it just one needle the dr. worked with and jabbed you 7 times with that needle?Or seven needle and multiple jabs with each needle.
    Good luck to you on the report. I hope all goes well

Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
    HopefulDoll
    (female)

HopefulDoll HB User

osteoblast, just wondering about results of your biopsy as I also have a 3cm nodule but have not had a biopsy.

Regards,
    Hopeful

Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Good Luck to you .....let us know about the results........I am happy it was not as painful as you thought it would be. Oleander

Old 10-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

He took seven samples, seven different jabs is what I meant , they needed that many for the slides I guess. Today I feel very very sore though, especially when swallowing or laughing. I am sure its from all that prodding around. Its so hard waiting for results! Very nervous!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Hopefull doll, the biopsy showed follicular cells and some other language was included. The dr. reading the slides said it didn't show cancer but as you can't biopsy the whole 3cm mass, he could not rule out cancer was in there. So...the story goes on. My endo is recommending TT. And, early next yr. I will take my next move on this.

Closed Thread