It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How long before T3 kicks in

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User
    How long before T3 kicks in

I started taking cytomel a week ago and have lost 5 pounds. I still have my brain problems, memory loss, mood swings, lack of intelligence, has anyone been the same as me and then taken T3, how long does it take to improve the brain? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: How long before T3 kicks in

T4 is more often linked to the neurological effects of hypothyroidism. Are you just on a T3 supplement? What are your T4 levels? Has your MD checked your Ferritin, B12 and vit D levels. Many things in hypothyroid patients can cause the artificial brain absentee issues.

T3 does have some neurological benefits due to circulation improvement.. but it is the T4 that has been proven necessary for memory and brain function.

MG

Old 10-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Thank you so much for replying to me.

My T4 level is 15 English levels are 12 -22
    My T3 level is 3.7 English levels are 3.9 -6.7
    My TSH level is 3.12 English levels are 0.27 - 4.2

I take 100mcg of T4 (levothyroxine)
    I take 10mcg twice a day of T3 (cytomel)
    I have not been tested for vit D, B12 or ferritin (never heard of it).
    My doctor is sick of the sight of me.
    I dont know if all levels are the same all over the world. In England nobody is even tested for T3 levels, it is a disgrace. I only know about T3 because I read The Thyroid Solution and insisted on a test for it.

Last edited by Apollyon; 10-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Apollyon;

Thank you so much for replying to me. Your very welcome. I try to answer those from across the pond, because I lived there for 10 years and know how hard getting treatment can be.

My T4 level is 15 English levels are 12 -22 This is 30% of range. This is suboptimal to say the least. Optimal for a woman of child bearing years is 50-80% of range... with my MFMs recommend 60-80%.

My T3 level is 3.7 English levels are 3.9 -6.7
    These are below range. They should be balanced with your T4 levels. In your case you would want them to be 20-40% in range.. this would be balanced. You need more T3 supplementation. You could also stand some more T4. You are woefully undertreated.

My TSH level is 3.12 English levels are 0.27 - 4.2

I take 100mcg of T4 (levothyroxine)
    I take 10mcg twice a day of T3 (cytomel)

I have not been tested for vit D, B12 or ferritin (never heard of it).
    Ferritin is your ability to store iron. When you are not at least 70 in range then you have a form of anemia.

My doctor is sick of the sight of me.
    I dont know if all levels are the same all over the world. In England nobody is even tested for T3 levels, it is a disgrace. I only know about T3 because I read The Thyroid Solution and insisted on a test for it.

It is a fight to get T3 tested here as well. I know it is a bit harder for you all. We just keep paying and going to MD after MD til we find one with a brain versed in thyroid care.

MG

Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Hi,
    Ive read and re-read your reply but as my intelligence isnt very high anymore, I dont really understand it. I can put my T3 level up as I got the pills from the internet, and have loads, what do you think I should put it up to? T4 will mean a visit to the docotors but what do you think I should put that up to?
    I really appreciate your help, thank you so much for always replying to me.
    Ive been sick for so long, Im just desperate to get better.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You have to go easy with the T3. It can have a large impact quickly. I am not an MD, but given your levels are below range on 10 mcg of T3 you should be safe to double that. Maybe try taking 10 mcgs in the morning and 10 mcgs in the afternoon.

How are you taking your T4 medication? are you taking first thing in the morning on an empty stomach? Are you waiting at LEAST 30 minutes to eat after taking your T4 supplement? If you boost your T4 levels you should just boost them a small amount 12.5-25 mcgs.. no more. Are you pre or post menopausal? This makes a difference in where your optimal levels most likely lie. POst menopausal women need less T4 and T3 than pre-meno females. On average the are happy in the 50-60% range of normal for both Ft3 and Ft4. Your females of childbearing age are more often optimal about in the 60-70% range of normal. However each person is an individual and needs to be treated as such.

If you boost the T3 you may want to hold on the T4 and give it two weeks to see how the increase in T3 serves your needs before adding any more T4 or T3. Also you will need to wait 4 weeks with out a dose change before getting new blood work done. Make sure you are getting blood work at reasonable time increments.

Good luck to you.

MG

Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Thanks for replying to me.
    I am taking 10 mcg of T3 in the morning and again in the afternoon. I take 100mcg of T4 in the morning. I take it on an empty stomach most days (if I remember, my memory is sooo bad) I dont wait 30 mins though, what does the waiting do?
    Im thinking of taking 20mcg of T3 in the morning and 10mcg in the afternoon, what do you think?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
    I dont wait 30 mins though, what does the waiting do?
    Im thinking of taking 20mcg of T3 in the morning and 10mcg in the afternoon, what do you think?
    It helps the absorption (you'll get more out of your meds ). Are you thinking about raising the dose already I recommend taking it easy with 20 mcgs - T3 has also long term effects (told about my situation in another thread) so you really shouldn't rush it. T3 is very potent stuff and 30 mcgs is also quite a large dose.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-01-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Question about T3......I've been on 150 mcg Levothyroxine (T4) since my TT. Tomorrow I have to stop the Levo and switch to Cytomel (T3) 25mcg for 2 wks. Then, off all meds for 2wks (which will really suck I'm sure!) to prep for the RAI. Any idea how I'll be feeling over the next 2wks while on only Cytomel? Better or worse? Tired or energentic? I'm just wondering what kind of difference on me the new rx will have. Of course, the next 2wks are busy with school, girlscouts, basketball starts, teacher conferences etc. Am I going to feel up to all that? Or will I be wiped? I really don't know much about the 2. Someone said that T4 is converted to T3 in your body after a couple of weeks. What will I feel like with no T3? Thanks for the heads up and warning!

---mmmcoffee

Last edited by mmmcoffee; 11-01-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #10
    Dora55
    (female)

Dora55 HB User

Hi. I am in the process of ordering T3 from the internet. Been a real job finding a reliable looking site and am still waiting to see if the ship to my country. I don't know if we are allowed to mention particular companies on this forum but if we are I would really appreciate if you could tell me where you got your T3 from. Also the tablets are 25 mcg. I would like to start with a minimal dose. Can the tablets be quartered ?

Dora55

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Mine were all prescribed by my Dr. I'd be afraid to self-medicate. I take what they tell me to take, when they tell me to take it. The thyroid controls so many things, I'm one to follow the Dr's orders.

mmmcoffee

Old 11-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Cut your tablets in half, have one in the morning on an empty stomach and the other half in the afternoon before dinner. I get my T3 (called cytomel) from united pharmacies. I live in England and they deliver to me. Each packet has 20 pills in and each pill is 20mcg. They cost $10 a packet and cost $7.50 to ship.

Last edited by Apollyon; 11-07-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:41 AM   #13
    Dora55
    (female)

Dora55 HB User

THANK YOU!!!
    I was going nuts trying to find an online pharmacy. You really helped me here. Just placed my order now. Will I feel a difference straight away? Or does the T3 take long to kick in?
    Also do you remember who long the meds took to arrive. I am going mad feeling like a zombie. I don't know if you are/were the same but I am okish for the first say 3 hours after waking but then it just hits me and no amount of sleep in the afternoon makes me feel any better. The horrible part is also that the next day I find it hard to remember what I did the day before during those zombie hours! It's all like a weird dream.
    I walk and talk like a drunk during that time, become unsteady on my feet, I am constantly afraid of falling and driving....... I have already had one crash.

Dora55

Closed Thread