It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what is armour, tapazole,synthroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User
    what is armour, tapazole,synthroid?

I am reading lots of useful things on here. I keep reading about different meds, I dont know what they are. Im from England and we only have levothyroxine (T4) and cytomel (T3).
    I think synthroid is T4, but I dont know what armour or tapazole is, are they T3 or T4 meds or are they something different?
    Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: what is armour, tapazole,synthroid?

Synthroid is a brand name of synthetic T4. Other US brand names for synthetic T4 are Levoxyl, Levothroid, and Unithroid. Cytomel is also used here; it's a synthetic form of T3.

Armour Thyroid is a natural, combination T4/T3 drug made from dessicated animal thyroid glands. Other T4/T3 combinations are Westhroid and Naturethroid - which are natural products - and Thyrolar, which is synthetic.

Tapazole is a brand of anti-thyroid drug used for hyperthyroidism. PTU is also used for hyperT.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Armour is a natural T4 and T3 combination that is made to mimic natural normal human thyroid production ratios. It is made from pig and cow thyroid. You can get it in England.. just not through the NHS.

Tapazole is an anti-thyroid medication. It is used in the case of hyperthyroidism to restrict the amount of T4 and T3 you make.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 10-31-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Thank you both so much for answering me, I cant believe all the things Im learning from all of you.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Information is the best way to fight for yourself. It is unfortunate but most of us have to fight for ourselves. The MD isn't going to do it. They will do the bare minimum and shoo you right back out the door. I have a few threads that I have compiled as I was learning and answering other very good questions from those interested in thyroid care and concerns. You might want to look them over. Here are the URLs so you can copy and paste them for viewing.

These are weeks 2-5 of an ongoing discussion of all the issues and concerns people have with thyroid care. This is mainly tailored to hypoTs, but I trieed to add important hyperT info in as well. Hope they might help. I started the threads to save me typing a lot of the basics over and over again. It was my way of being lazy.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=601986[/url]

MG

Closed Thread