It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please help new to this and don't understand!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User
    Unhappy Please help new to this and don't understand!

hi! I will start by giving a little back ground info on my situiation. I am 30 years old and up until last year never had any medical problems. In June of 2007, I was taken to the er by ambulance for what I thought I was having a stroke. I then went into a 4 day coma, they ran test after test but did not treat me. The 4th night in ICU I woke up so they put me in a regular room and released me the next day. Since then I have gotten all my results back and had more blood work done. One doctor says I have Hashimotos and one says I don't. Now I am not being treated for it even though one says I have it so I don't understand this. Here are my test results

T4-0.84
    TSH-3.00
    T3-137
    TPO-567

Can someone please explain this to me I have been to an endo. and I will not go back to this one he was a joke I am going to another one as soon as my new results are in but I am just really curious. I know something is wrong with me but he says there isn't anything wrong with me. PLEASE HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Please help new to this and don't understand!

You definitely have Hashimoto's. The endo who said you don't is an idiot.

Please post the lab's reference range for each test and tell us whether the T4 and T3 tests were 'free' or 'total' values. You appear to be very hypothyroid according to that T4, but we need ranges to tell you more.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    You definitely have Hashimoto's. The endo who said you don't is an idiot.

Please post the lab's reference range for each test and tell us whether the T4 and T3 tests were 'free' or 'total' values. You appear to be very hypothyroid according to that T4, but we need ranges to tell you more.
    thank you so much I knew I wasn't crazy! My T4 results were "Free"

Last edited by 0529amos; 10-31-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Your in MS? SO is my mom. She doesn't have an Endo either. She has had a partial thyroidectomy and was documented Graves and Hashimoto's pre-Katrina. Now because Her TSH is not five and her medical records are in the gulf.. we are having to fight just to get a follow up Endo appointment. With out an abnormal TSH monitoring your TSH is not a priority it seems.

Your best bet at getting an Endo to help you is to look to Birmingham, Alabama or Memphis, TN. The MDs I know in MS do not have much faith in the MS Endos. If you are going to get one that might do something.. you will have to go to Jackson to the teaching hospital and hope to get a forward thinking Endo.

In the mean time you do have Hashimoto's and it is moving along well. What were the ranges with the associated Free T3 and Free T4. If they compare to mine, you need supplementation.

You are not Crazy you are Hashimoto's-hypothyroid. Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family.
    MG

Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User

Yes I am in MS. I know what your mom is going through there aren't any good endo's here but my regular doctor is sending me to oschners in new orleans I hear they are really good so maybe she could go there also. I will keep you informed on that. My free T4 was 0.84, TSH was 3.00, free T3 137, and TPO 567. Thank you so much for your help and I will let you know what my new levels are when I get them I just had blood drawn yesterday.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Did you have ranges to go with your FT4 and Ft3?

My ranges are 0.8-1.8 for FT4 and 230 to 420 for Ft3?

If yours are similar then you would be 4% of normal range in Ft4 and below range in FT3.. WAY below range in FT3. This alone would warrent treatment with a T4/T3 combination from my MD up here in Chattanooga.

When ever you find an MD that treats you optimally and listens to your symptoms as well as your complete blood panel.. share the wealth. That kind of find is rare and a treasure. My mom is in Jackson and is dealing with Tricare treatment red tape. If she can get a referral, I believe it is limited to a 50 mile radius of her home town. *rolls eyes* I am glad I have my BCBS of TN. I am just 3rd and 4th generation thyroid dysfunction. We have Hashimoto's and Graves for generations in my family females. The guys are pretty clear in that regard. I am glad for that given I have a son.

If you can get your ranges we can give you more direct infromation.
    MG

Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User

ok my ranges for T4 are .58 - 1.64 mine was 0.84 and for the T3 are 85 -205 mine was 137, sorry I am new to trying to read these results. If you need any other info let me know.

If I find a good endo where ever my doctor does send I will def. let you know cause I know how she feels.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User
    Question Re: Please help new to this and don't understand!

Hi everyone sorry it took so long to get back with these new test results. The nurse from endo's office just called and really confused me she said that my test were normal but here they are

free T3 3.12 (range 1.45 - 3.48)
    free T4 0.95 (range 0.71 - 1.85)
    TSH 4.18 (range 0.49 - 4.67)
    TPO 1855 (range < 60)
    Antithyroglobulin AB 152 (range < 60)

She said that I have a little inflammation but they couln't do anything for that but my results are normal. I don't understand how they can be normal but also show inflammation at the same time. Please help!!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

free T3 3.12 (range 1.45 - 3.48) You are 82% of normal range here. This is higher than I would expect given your TSH. As a result it may be a sign of a Hashi's flare.
    free T4 0.95 (range 0.71 - 1.85) You are 21% here. Ugh this is a clear sign of adrenal issues. Inparticular hypoadrenalism due to suboptimal cortisol production.
    TSH 4.18 (range 0.49 - 4.67) This is hypothyroid and your Endo and nurse should know this.

YOU HAVE HASHIMOTO'S THYROIDITIS! These antibodies prove that! Your inflammation is due to systematic tissue destruction in your thyroid. If your thyroid worked less, WAS SUPPLEMENTED, then the thyroid tissue would be attacked less and the INFLAMMATION would decrease.
    TPO 1855 (range < 60)
    Antithyroglobulin AB 152 (range < 60)

You need adrenal testing (ACTH/Cortisol/DHEA).
    You need to treat the adrenal issue if present and supplement your low T4 levels as well.
    You might also benefit form a better supplement regime.
    You need to test your DHEA, B12, and Ferritin.
    In the mean time you can make sure that you have extra B12 and a selenium containing multivitamin. You are not normal and you need to find an MD.. not necessarily Endo, because those are like lead generated gold it seems... to treat you not dismiss you.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-04-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User

Thank you so much my regular md is doing research on hashi's because he is not really familar with it and he is also looking over my labs but i will let him know know about what you have told me. He is a very good md. I really appreciate your time and will keep you informed on things and thank you again!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you look at my thyroid care and concerns week 2 thread it has medical journal references listed regarding the proactive care and treatment of Hashimoto's. It is proven fact that even a mild supplementation regime of 50 mcgs of T4 in non-adrenal dysfunctioning patients improves symptoms and slows the progress of Hashimoto's. In effect the sooner you treat Hashimoto's the better. Waiting until the thyriod is a waste land to treat is just... BARBARIC in my opinion. We do not walk about in pelts and carry clubs anymore.. our medical care should address our issues from the perspective of the 21rst centry.

MG

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User

Thank You MG, You have really been a God Send I am going to look at those right now. My regular MD doesn't know alot about Hashi's due to the fact that he has never dealt with it and I will also let him read them maybe it will help him also. So, really thank you so much and I will keep you posted!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User

Hi everyone, sorry it took so long to get bac to ya'll. Well since my last post I have gotten a new endo and she is great. She has started me on synthroid 25mcg a day to start out and she is going to monitor my blood work and increase my dosage until my levels are back to normal or close to it. But we also, found out that I have a vitamin d deficincy so I am on vitamin d also and I also have restless leg syndrome so one med to add to all the others but I am ok with that at least she is willing to listen and believes that something is wrong. I will keep everyone posted on how things go and again thanks for all of the continued support.

DJ

Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
    0529amos
    (female)

0529amos HB User
    What problems can synthroid cause?

I have been on synthroid for a month now. I am or should i say was on 25mcg. I was told Friday to stop taking it asap. They said my TSH and T4 were off the charts why would it do that? I was having side effects like anxiety, the shakes, and heart palpations. Could it have caused heart problems? Please Help I am really concerned! This med. was supposed to help me.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: What problems can synthroid cause?

You were not on it long enough to cause permanent heart issues. You may have had a higher than normal HR for a bit though.

With Hashimoto's the T4 levels flux greatly in the early stages. I started on a 50 mcgs dose and had days when I had to cut that in half. I find it doubtful that the 25 mcgs of T4 caused such a HIGH spike in T4 levels. My bet is you had a large dump of T4 in your system on top of the 25 mcgs of T4 and the blood work was the result of that. What was your Ft3 level? The other issue that you may have is inability to convert T4 to T3 properly. If this is the case your T4 levels will just climb and you sill still be hypoT in T3.

MG

Closed Thread