It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Test results and my hair is falling out fast!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User
    Test results and my hair is falling out fast!

My mother was treated with radioactive iodine a long time ago for her thyroid. My father was hypo and my sister was born without a thyroid and has been plagued with problems and on medication her whole life. For several years I've had many symptoms of a thyroid problem, especially severe fatigue and brain fog, also with muscle aches and weakness , a "thick" feeling in my neck, etc. I've been tested several times and told I had normal results and my thyroid is not the cause of any of my symptoms. I am 34 and female, 110 pounds at 5'3 with a fairly healthy diet.

Within the past few weeks I've been experiencing sudden, rapid hair loss. This could be hormonally induced due to the fact that I was on Yaz for a month, off the pill for a month and half, stopped taking it mid-pack, then went on Ortho tricyclen for 3 months and then got off the pill altogether last month (due to side effects). But because of my family history and my symptoms and the new hair loss my derm ran a new TSH test. (He also ran a CBC and Ferritin test).

I had my thyroid tested several times since I started having such bad symptoms. In Dec 2006 TSH was 2.1. At that time they did a full panel and it showed FTI 2.6, T4 12.5, T3 uptake 20.5, Free Thyrox .9, and they also tested antibodies. I don't remember those exact results but the doctor said they were normal. In June of 2007 they tested only TSH it was 1.79. This new TSH test just came back 1.17.

These all appear to be normal, but I was wondering if there is any reason the number keeps dropping, and could my thyroid have anything to do with these symptoms?

(My recent ferritin level was 56.4, which has gone up from 46 in June 2007. All levels on the CBC were within the normal range).

My doctor told me to use Rogaine to try to reduce or slow down the hair loss and sent me on my way. I don't know what to do or where to go next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Test results and my hair is falling out fast!

Your ferritin is still suboptimal. most do best with Ferritin in the 70-90 region. My hair continued to fall out until I hit a Ferritin level of 85. Everyone is different.

What was the range on your free thyroxine level? You also need a free T3 run. if your FT4 is low and Ft3 is high it is an indicator of adrenal dysfunction. The FTI and T4 are redundant and less accurate ways to measure your FT4. The T3 Uptake is another means to see how well you are using/taking up T4. With out a T3 to compare to the T4 you can not determine if you have a conversion issue. Your data set is incomplete. The only thing i can say for sure is another boost in your iron would be helpful to the hair. You may also have an endocrine issue that is being bypassed because your MD isn't following you closely enough.

MG

Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Thank you for the info. I've been in tears and I feel like I'm going bald and nobody cares. The doctor who ordered these tests is a dermatologist. He only ran TSH. Two years ago I had an thyroid panel done and I don't think they did a T3, unless it goes by some other name. There is something on the results called lgt or Igt (can't read my writing) that was 110. The only other results listed on that were TSH 2.1, FTI 2.6, T4 12.5, T3U 20.5 and free thyrox .9. As I said, that was two years ago or longer.

The derm told me iron won't help but I'm going to start supplements anyway. I am also taking biotin and fish oil. He basically told me to use the Rogaine and that's it. I guess he thinks it is the birth control pills. I have posted on that board and never get a response, so I don't know if hair loss from a bcp switch would be so rapid and so excessive. I also feel like my scalp hurts every so often, like something is pulling my hair, and that's when I notice it's even thinner.

I made an appointment with my primary and will see her in a few weeks. I'm worried by then I'll have lost so much hair I'll be bald! I'm also worried she'll tell me since my tests were "normal" to just wait and see if it's from the pill and will stop. Meanwhile I'll be wasting precious time as my hair continues to fall out.

I should mention it also feels like my neck is "thick" and something is swollen in there, and I've been experiencing trouble completing a deep breath for as long as the hair's been thinning, but I don't know if they are related.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Do not trust a dermatologist to treat malabsorption or your thyroid. You can have normal iron levels but low Ferritin.

A large body of thyroid patients and patients that suffer from acid reflux and treat it with excessive acid reducers have low Ferritin, or storage iron. Ferritin is an iron-storage protein.

Why do we often have low Ferritin? The main reason is hypothyroid and patients on anti-acids have a lowered production of hydrochloric acid in there stomach. If your HCl concentrations are too week or low you have malabsorption of iron.

Being hypothyroid also lowers your body temperature as a result of your body cutting back on red blood cell production. This means less storage houses for your iron and lower ferritin. Additionally, most hypoTs have heavier periods, which causes more iron loss as well. It all adds up.

Why is having low Ferritin a problem? First, though the slide into low Ferritin can be symptomless, it eventually becomes the precursor to being anemic. And once the latter occurs, you can then have symptoms which mimic hypothyroid–depression, achiness, easy fatigue, weakness, faster heartrate, palpitations, loss of sex drive, HAIR LOSS, and/or foggy thinking, etc. In non-tested hypoTs the patient thinks they are not on enough Armour, or Synthroid and that their thyroid supplements are not working.

Excessively low Ferritin can also make it difficult to continue raising your Armour or synthroid! it is important to test. Sorry using your post as a platform..

Biologically/biochemically speaking.. here comes condensed geek speak.., insufficient iron levels may be affecting the first two of three steps of thyroid hormone synthesis by reducing the activity of the enzyme thyroid peroxidase, which is dependent on iron. Iron deficiency, in turn, may also alter thyroid metabolism and reduce the conversion of T4 to T3, besides modifying the binding of T3. Additionally, low iron levels can increase circulating concentrations of TSH.

A delicate balance of iron, in addition to iodine, selenium and zinc, are essential for normal thyroid hormone metabolism and synthesis. If you are having small issues with balance and thyroid levels it may not be the thyroid but the building blocks your thyroi needs.

What’s the solution and treatment? The solution, after you have verified low Ferritin with a blood test (lower than the 50, optimal is 70-90 in range), is to supplement your diet with iron. I recommend Ferrous fumarate because of our bodies ability to absorb it easier. Thus you need less of it.. Also eat foods rich in iron include lean meats, liver, eggs, green leafy vegetables (spinach, collard greens, kale), wheat germ, whole grain breads and cereals, raisins, and molasses.

Ferrous Gluconate may cause fewer symptoms and is milder on stomach. Ferrous Fumerate is often prescribed by doctors as it, too, has fewer side effects, absorbs well, and is easier on the stomach.

Should you take anything with the iron? Yes. It’s recommended to take Vitamin C, which helps absorption of iron. It is that whole acidity thing. Also taking a mineral supplement can assist the absorption, as can B-vitamins. I take a super B complex. A nutritionist may be helpful to you.

Hope that helps.. I ran on a bit.
    MG

Closed Thread