It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Does brain fog ever go away?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User
    Does brain fog ever go away?

I have had servere memory loss (cant remember how to get home, how to spell etc) I have mood swings, cry for hours and get really really angry for not much of a reason, my intelligence has gone down a lot, I cant figure out even simple things. I go completely blank when I talk, I say the wrong word, I stutter because I cant find the right word. People think Im a moron or laugh at me, I spend most of my time alone. I have physical symptons too, but the mental ones are ruining my life. Can somebody give me hope that once my meds are sorted out that I will go back to the bright, intelligent, calm person with the fantastic memory, that I used to be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Does brain fog ever go away?

You just started with Cytomel right? Did you decrease your T4 dose when taking T3 along? If your levels were just what you told us on another thread there really is no need to drop T4 at this point - to raise it more likely. And the added T3 is likely to help your situation too. Make sure your Free T levels are followed not TSH (which is very likely to come down, even suppressed).

It took me about 6 weeks to start feeling like a human being after starting the T3 supplement - I had noticed some significant changes before that but since I was a total wreck before T3 a lot had to happen before I could feel like a normal person (I have no absolute knowledge of who I really am since I was an untreated "sub hypo" from late teens and went on without meds feeling bad for 13 years). I had suffered from sleep deprivation (again) so when I started to sleep again that was a huge deal

I'm not a bright, intelligent, calm person every day (and my memory is never that great) but most days I can contribute to the society

Last edited by FinnMaid; 10-31-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Appolyon-Alot of us here complain about brain fog. I hope that researchers will one day figure out what this is and whether our brains can function as they did before hypothyroid. Having said that--some of the things that you mention like not finding your way home and long periods of anger seem to me to be something that you should discuss with your doctor. You should write down all these symptoms that you have listed on this thread and take the list to your doctor and request help to deal with these problems.I think that you should see your doctor as soon as possible, it could be dangerous for you to be out and not be able to find your way home. Perhaps these issues are hypothyroid related , or perhaps there may be another reason.If there is a physical reason for these issues, it would be so great to get the doctors working on it. It sounds quite difficult for you now and you have my heartfelt sympathy.
    You also mention that because of all that you are going through that you remain alone alot. Social isolation can be very damaging for people. So, I am hoping that as you get the medical help that you need that you will also be able to make some social connections.I am sorry that some people have been unkind and mocking. That is wrong.I know though that there are kind people out there too who would not treat you like that . Maybe connecting with a social group or church group. Starting small may make that easier for you. Just taking little baby steps to include friendly human interaction may be very helpful.
    Are you also going through menopause at this time? For me dealing with menopause and hypothyroid was an awful lot. Besides the thyroid hormones, I have now started hormone replacement therapy . My endocrinologist thinks that this may help . I have my fingers crossed.
    Often times the thyroid issue comes up around menopause , so I mentioned this.
    I do hope you get the medical help that you need. Just be certain to lay out clearly to the doctor as you did with us exactly what is happening to you and how you feel.
    Best wishes.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Thank you for replying to me and being so kind. I have lots of friends, I just find it's easier being on my own, I upset people and I get upset easily by people. I have had friends and family turn their backs on me because they cant cope with my unpredictable behaviour, I fell in love last year, but he went off because he couldnt cope with it. Its like I have had a personality transplant. I miss the old me.
    I went to a neurologist and am having a brain scan next week.
    From what I have read in The Thryoid Solution there are a lot of ladies just like me, with severe mental difficulties, who have lost jobs or partners becasue of they way the behave. I really think all my symptons are thryoid related.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Thank you for replying to me.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
    geisha13
    (female)

geisha13 HB User

Hi My Name is Sandi and i live in Canada and have been living with Hypertyroid issues for about 4-5 yrs and have had Iodine treatments,Methimazole,Tapizole,Beta blockers and am now being treated with Synthyroid 150mcg.I have the exact same issues as you do and i feel exactly the same but most days are better then before.It may be the Drugs but i also do memory games with cards and read books and write down what i just read to work on memory or at least keep it freash.I also try games like hidden objects for memory skills.I have a MRI coming up in Dec.Because i have been very dizzy and not sure why,doctor says it may be Vertigo but i'll leave that to the scan.I hope this can help somewhat or at least give you something to help with.I always try to keep the faith that it WILL get better.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
    Apollyon
    Inactive
    (female)

Apollyon HB User

Thanks for replying to me, I had my MRI scan today, I get really dizzy too (I think that is thryoid). I have been fighting tooth and nail to get better and no care professionals care. Ive done it on my own, I even self medicate. I have been ill for 16 months.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Has your doctor tested your Cortisol levels? If your Adrenals are producing too much or too little Cortisol then that can really mess with your head. I was in a perpetual fog and felt i'd been hit by a bus. I'd be making my morning tea/coffee and i'd mix up all the lids off the milk container and other containers and wouldn't realise i was doing it and i'd be forcing the lid to fit, then i'd click that that lid didn't belong on that container. I was also mixing up my words. Once i was telling my cousin about some recipe and my brain knew i had to say the word "rice", but my mouth actually said the word "blood". I felt so stupid and i felt so scared that i was going insane or something. I also had the high and low mood swings.

Once i began taking cortisol i felt an improvement within days virtually.

The other thing which can cause the mood issues is if you have an estrogen/testosterone/ progesterone imbalance. My Estrogen was too high when first checked months ago and my doctor thought that thyroid and cortisol meds would improve my other hormone levels such as estrogen once my thyroid began improving, but it's still high now. He has now put me on something called Diindolylmethane (DIM for short). Information on this supplement is available on the net and is quite informative and gives a pretty good insite on how an Estrogen imbalance can cause a number of issues and not just possible breast cancer.

Even though my doctor has most bases covered and i'm a lot better than i once was, i will still get "off" days where i'd prefer to be on my own and do things at my own pace, some days i'm a bit weepy or could cry easily and that is just not me. I'm hoping with the supplement of DIM that my hormones and monthly cycles will correct themselves. At the moment i'm on a herbal supplement from my naturopath to help keep my cycles regular and to overcome heavy bleeding. It's working and now on some days i can even miss doses and i still get a regular and normal period. I would love to be off these herbs for good one day and am hoping all the various meds and supplements i'm on will fix up all my issues. it's a very long process though.

So all in all i'd advise you to get your cortisol levels checked out if you haven't already. If you are on thyroid meds but have an undiagnosed adrenal issue, your thyroid meds wont be able to fix all the problems on their own. Also get your other hormones test as a lot of us with thyroid issues appear to have estrogen excess and this could be causing some of your symptoms.

Hoping you feel better soon

Closed Thread