It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help with my lab results!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
    lass87
    (female)

lass87 HB User
    Help with my lab results!

I had labs drawn last week, and am hoping I can get some interpretation. I am 21 years old have been experiencing some of the hypothyroid symptoms, but my hair loss is what got me into the doctor. My doctor says everything looks fine, and has referred me to a dermatologist. I keep reading about secondary hypothyroidism, but am not sure what a borderline Free T4 result means. Thank you!

TSH: 1.47 (0.4-4.5)
    Free T4: 0.8 (0.8-1.5)
    Total T3: 170 (87-180)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Help with my lab results!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lass87 View Post
    am not sure what a borderline Free T4 result means.

It means it's leaning strongly towards HypoT. Your total T3 looks pretty ok (but I personally think that test has no worth whatsoever since I've seen an above range result with a clearly HypoT person ). Your TSH should be enough to make your thyroid work - some people's pituitary just doesn't seem to bother to react when one's FT4 falls even without an actual pituitary problem - but it wouldn't hurt to look into that before treating.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-01-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User
    Smile Re: Help with my lab results!

TSH tests are useless. They are not accurate, you need to go by your symptoms and by your morning temp. Your morning temp should be at least 98.2 or higher before getting out of the bed. My TSH is normal and I have severe hypothyroid. It is my opinion that the only thyroid medicine that works is armour, but if you have adrenal innsufficiency than nothing will work, get the adrenals glands in check first.
    You can also do an internet search for thyroid madness.
    Mia

Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
    jlh1002
    (female)

jlh1002 HB User

Make sure to check your Ferritin (iron stores). I was also having alot of hair loss despite my HGB and HCT levels being ok. My Ferritin was 17, which is way low. After 5 months of iron supplementation, my Ferritin was 67 and the hair loss has stopped. Heard you need to be at least around 40 to maintain hair. I was also diagnosed as Hypothyroid but think the iron store increase definitely was the cure for the hair loss.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

Well maybe, my iron is actually too high, in fact they think I have hemochromatosis. I had the genetic testing done 2 weeks ago, but have not received the results yet.

I lose hair like crazy too. My iron level is 178 iron serum, which is too high, and my tsat is 56%, those two tell how much iron is in my blood, so they are too high, but my ferritin, the iron my body stores, is 78 and is within normal range.

So I would not recommend that anyone ever take iron supplements until they have had all 3 levels of iron tested: tsat, ferritin, AND iron serum.

I have to avoid high iron foods because of my high iron.

Mia

Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lass87 View Post
    I had labs drawn last week, and am hoping I can get some interpretation. I am 21 years old have been experiencing some of the hypothyroid symptoms, but my hair loss is what got me into the doctor. My doctor says everything looks fine, and has referred me to a dermatologist. I keep reading about secondary hypothyroidism, but am not sure what a borderline Free T4 result means. Thank you!

Your Ft4 levels are at 0% of range. Your T3 levels are HIGH normal. This is the only thing keeping your TSH suppressed in a psuedo normal state. You need to get some additional testing done.

First you need an FT3 as well as thyroid antibody tests (TPOAb, TGAb, and TSI). I am suspecting Hashimoto's thyroiditis making your life miserable and MDums not knowing hoe to read the early signs and symptoms.

You also need Adrenal testing given the apparent imbalance in your Ft4 and T3 levels. You may be hypoadrenal. The baseline testing for this is an ACTH Stim test, ACTH blood serum, cortisol blood serum, and DHEA-S blood serum. These tests are fasting and should be done around 8 am.

Also you need your ferritin, B12, vit D, and magnesium levels checked. Ferritin is the classic hypoT mimic that can effect your hair growth/loss.

I do think that there is something that is being over looked due to your MDs unwillingness to search for the answer to your symptoms, ESPECIALLY given your Ft4 and T3 levels. Your MD is looking at the TSH and ignoring the other results. I would almost bet my paycheck on it.

MG

Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

My ferritin is 78 (within normal range) and I have HUGE hair loss every day.
    I have hypothyroidism and am getting ready to be tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis as well as "Adrenal insufficiency".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlh1002 View Post
    Make sure to check your Ferritin (iron stores). I was also having alot of hair loss despite my HGB and HCT levels being ok. My Ferritin was 17, which is way low. After 5 months of iron supplementation, my Ferritin was 67 and the hair loss has stopped. Heard you need to be at least around 40 to maintain hair. I was also diagnosed as Hypothyroid but think the iron store increase definitely was the cure for the hair loss.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Mia,

What city and state are you in? I might be able to dig up some MDs that you can forward your information that might be helpful. Some people have to travel 2-4 hours to get to a good MD. I know another that flies from NJ to AZ to see one. I could recommend mine if you were near Chattanooga.

Never give up. Your children deserve better. Just as you do. I am 33 and full of issues. I have one son and my issues have prevented me from having more. I am hoping if I get everything in line things will reset. However my safe window is running out. After 35 my medical issues make pregnancy unfavorable and too risky. Try and count your blessings and do your best. Ask friends and family for help and look at ways to still enjoy your children even if you can not serve as the perfect house maid and cook. There are more things we can do than act as a servant.

MG

Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

I live in Suffolk, VA. Thank you so much. I just called my doctor's office (my ENDO) crying my eyes out and I begged them for help. They are rushing the order already placed to get my TgAb and TPO and TSI and Free T3 and Free T4 and ACTH stim test, and coritsol blood serum and ACTH blood Serum, and DHEA blood serum too.
    But seriously, as bad as I feel, I just want to go to the ER, but I am told the ER cannot help me.
    Mia

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The ER often just looks are your FTs and TSH. If you are normal they will shove you out the door. you have to be in an adrenal crisis or going through a thyroi storm to get any twitch out of them. Bleeding on the shift nurse due to a rupture of your tonsil stitches for the first and second time gets fast action as well. Otherwise you get tos sit and wait with the flu and other patients.

What supplements are you taking. Your ferritin is good. Right in the optimal range of 70-90. They are rushing the order already placed to get my TgAb and TPO and TSI and Free T3 and Free T4 and ACTH stim test, and coritsol blood serum and ACTH blood Serum, and DHEA blood serum too.

These are good tests. It will catch an adrenal issue if it is present. It will also point to PCOS/insulin resistance if that is an issue. In the mean time keep talking to people here and anyone you feel comfortable with there. I have an Aunt in VA. She is nearer to Richmond. I am going to see where she goes. Her TT and RAIs was done in MD at the University Medical Center. I will see what I can find via the Grapevine. Do not give up hope. We will help you. Instead of getting sad, get MAD. That helped me the most it is UNFAIR that you should have to go through this and that your medical professionals are ill equiped to deal with you! Get MAD and use it.

MG

Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

thank you so much, your words have helped me more then you know. I am too tired to get MAD though, I'm way past MAD. I wish I had that kind of energy, to get MAD, but I don't. Just surviving, eating, sleeping is all I can do right now.
    Do you happen to know if all of the tests that my doctor just ordered is a lot of blood removed? I hate getting my blood taken, imagine that. I desperately need these tests done, so God please curse me with the fear of getting my blood drawn..........=(
    Mia

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The Stim test will be two vials. One before getting pumped with ACTH and another afterward. The ACTH injection can make you have an odd taste or smell. I smelled alcohol and my mouth water for a good 10 minutes post injections. Antibodies will go in one/two vials depending on if they are going to the same laboratory. Cortisol and DHEA should come out of the Stim test vials. You will also have a trash vial in the ACTH stim test to make sure that the results are not biased by draw issues. SO is should be 10 - 20 ml of blood for each vial and you should have 4 to five vials. 50 -100 ml of blood. Chump change a quarter of a coke can at most. Not bad at all. If a CBC or metabolic profile is tacted on you will add another vial.

I am glad I could help. You are not alone. I was in your boat last year at this time. I also had a Neurologist telling me that I needed an MRI to rule out tumors and MS and a bunch of other stuff.. it all turned out to be my pesky Hashimoto's and endocrine issues. It will get better. You just have to take it easy and stick it out.

MG

Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
    luvmybabies2
    (female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

It's so hard to go on feeling so bad. How did you make it through? Are you feeling better now? What are you taking for yours.........I know it will be a long time before I get better, but my patience is thin, since I have been so sick like this for so long, I have been to a dozen doctors and nobody could figure out what was wrong with me, I diagnosed myself and then the ENDO doctor gave me Armour.
    Mia

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have Graves and Hashimoto's and hypoadrenalism, and reactive hypoglycemia, and PCOS and insulin resistance... malabsorption issues. I take ALOT of medication. Graves I take betablockers (pindolol) for.. Hashimoto's I am almost up to 100 mcgs of T4. hypoadrenalism I take cortisol for.. PCOS and hypoG (Metformin). I take 1000% daily limit of all the vit Bs, 200% the daily limit of ferrous fumerate, 250% the daily limit of vit K and D.. and a bunch of other things. Each issue found and treated improved things. i found release hear. I was able to forget my worries in the worries of other. I am a natural helper addict. If I can help others I am happy. The high levels of testosterone and estrogen help keep me nad at the medical industry and in the last 5 years I plowed through dozens of MDs and 3 endos until I found my MD. It takes time and you can not give up. When I got to my lowest point I would ask myself how would doing anything to myself make my 5 year old..oops now 6.. feel. Also I came here and vented. It helps to know you are not alone and you can get through it. IT does take time though. We can help each other.

MG

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #15
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suffolk, Va top thyroid MD search information... Well I got no hits or information on anyone in Suffolk. It appears to be a top thyroidd MD free town. .

The Kaplan Clinic comes highly recommended for the state of VA, but this is northern Virginia. Two MDs of note that have worked or work for Kaplan are

Dr. Lisa Lilienfield, Kaplan Clinic, Arlington, VA
    Two anon reviews "I have just started seeing Dr. Lisa Lilienfield, and I am so happy with her. She is very knowledgeable and thorough, and is careful to discuss what your other docs are doing with you. Like the other members of the Kaplan practice, she is trained in Osteopathy and Acupuncture, and has used both on me with good results already. Not only does she listen, she remembers....and that is very reassuring when you are faced with a health challenge."

"After years of thyroid hell with medications, and then ending up hyperthyroid, I am so thankful to have found Dr. Lisa Lilienfield at the Kaplan Clinic. She's the first doctor I've ever seen that actually knows something about the complexities of thyroid diseases. She listens and treats the whole person, and follows up consistently. I feel she really cares and for the first time I may actually get to the bottom of what has been going on with her help."

Another strong recommendation: Kate Lemmerman, MD, previously of Kaplan now with Steinmetz Steinmetz Medical, Alexandria, Virginia. Unfortunately northern location as well.

Ashburn
    Dr. John T. Hart, Gynecology and Functional Medicine, Ashburn, Virginia "Specializes in Chronic Fatigue, Thyroid and Adrenal dysfunction, Fibromyalgia." Northern location near Alexandria.

Charlottesville MD slowly getting closer to Suffolk...
    Dr. Alan Dalkin, Endocrinology, Charlottesville, VA
    Reviews:
    "He is a great listener. he looks at more than numbers. He prescribes Armour Thyroid. "

"He listens to patients. He prescribes Armour Thyroid. He is open to new ideas and research. I found him to be very likeable and easy to talk to. I recommend him as one of the Best docs at UVA medical center. "

Chesapeake, Va Doctor..
    Dr. Papariello, general practice. He might work for day to day management.. not sure about his diagnostic potential...
    Reviews:
    "This doctor listened to me and allowed me to try another med which most doctors don’t like to prescribe...he saw how much Armour had changed how I felt...and he also was thrilled with the results...so he could advise other patients of the results with me."

"I was very impressed with this Dr's bedside manner. He actually pays attention to what you say. He takes his time with you, and doesn't act like you are taking up his time. They were very quick with lab results. His office also has a very relaxed atmosphere about it. I have even decided to switch my children over to his practice. And it was a quick turn around from getting an appointment."

Fairfax, VA Docs..
    Dr. Kathleen Link, Pediatric Endocrinologist Fairfax, VA.
    Reviews:
    "My ten year old daughter is an insulin dependent diabetic and was diagnosed at age three. Since moving to VA three years ago she has been seeing Dr Link. She and I find Dr. Link to have an excellent understanding of what it means to be a diabetic child. She’s encouraging without being condescending and she’s forthright without being brutal. As we look forward to the rocky years ahead we feel confident that our daughters health and well being is just as important to Dr. Link as it is to us."

Dr Nahrain Al-zubaidi, Metabolism, diabetes, and endocrinology, Fairfax, VA
    Reviews:
    "Dr. Nahrain actually looked me in the eye and really assessed my symptoms. She never rushed me and took time to truly understand my health. After trying many different endocrinologist ( some rated top doctors in endocrinology) I found Dr. Al-Zubaidi to be the most caring the most consistently attentive doctor of the all. After my surgery I must have called her at least 5-6 times within a short period of time with questions and despite her busy schedule she always , always called me back no matter the time. Dr. Al-Zubaidi alwasy took my health as seriously as I did and never discounted my experience. I couldn't speak more highly of a doctor. If you want a caring doctor that is knowledgable and friendly I most certainly would recommend Dr. Al-Zubaidi."

"I came to Dr. Al-Zubaidi for help with treating my thyroid condition. I could not possibly recommend a Doctor more highly. Her office staff which I believe consists of two young ladies are extremely helpful, friendly and returned my calls promptly. Dr.Al-Zubaidi herself is pleasant and extremely knowledgeable in this area. She will never make you feel rushed or uneasy. All and all I am extremely thankful for finding her and will stay her patient forever."

Leon-Paul Georges, Endocrinology & Metabolism, The Diabetes Institutes and Center for Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA.
    "He is a physician on the cutting edge of research and treatments at the Eastern Virginia Medical School." My warning about this MD is that he may be tailored to a certain class of patients and only interested in seeing patients that meet with his current research protocols.

Virginia Beach MDs..
    Dr. George Amberman, MD, Virginia Beach, Virginia "Special interest in thyroid disease and holistic alternatives."
    Reviews:
    "As a thyroid disease patient I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. George Amberman, MD. He is a very caring and compassionate physician who knows how to deal with the myriad of problems that can go along with thyroid disease. He keeps current on the latest treatment approaches with thyroid disease and listens to his patients. He invest time in his office visits and to help them regulate their thyroid levels to achieve optimal TSH levels. He understands that "a one size" treatment approach in dealing with this illness does not fit all. I have autoimmune thyroid disease and I have spoken and worked with Dr. Amberman over the years with referrals as a thyroid advocate. If you live in the Hampton Roads area (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth or Hampton) Dr. Amberman is a physician you should see if you need a doctor to help regulate your levels, check you for thyroid disease."

"Great listener, Prescribes Armour OR whatever works best for patient. Very willing to help patient feel his/her best. Love him to death!!"

Okay I can not vouch personally for the southern MDs, but my Aunts MDs say that those are the better thyrid managers in that area. They do not follow the other MDS closely mind you, but they have heard some good things about them. SO that is all I could dig up. you might want to see what you can find out with a few target searches.

Good luck and keep me posted.
    MG

Closed Thread