It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Day 2 on Cytomel...Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User
    Day 2 on Cytomel...Questions

Hello everyone.

A little update here I guess. Last week was pretty good. I guess the levothyroxine was finally working. Had (some) energy, felt pretty good. Yesterday I had to stop the 150 Levo and switch to 25 Cytomel. I will be on that for 2 wks in preparation for the RAI on 12/2.

My question is about how the Cytomel is/will make me feel. Could it be showing a difference already? Last night, I could not fall asleep. Mind racing etc. I also got 'itchy' I guess you could call it. Couldn't relax or sit still. Lying in bed, I just kept getting little 'itches'. Creepies like, on my legs, then arms, then head. Not overwhelming or anything, just annoying.

Today I woke up with THE WORST HEADACHE EVER. I don't usually get headaches like this one! I took the cytomel this a.m., showered, had my coffee and headache is just about gone. I feel very restless though. Almost like I drank way too much coffee, know what I mean? Is it just because of the med change? Maybe the levothyroxine is still in my system, and adding the cytomel may make me a little 'jumpy' until things settle down.? Any ideas?

I guess I could get used to this. I'll get more done around the house I'd think, but I don't want to become too hyper. I've been hypo for so long, maybe this is just normal. I don't know. Has anyone else felt like this? Is this to be expected with the changing of meds?

Any info would be great. Thank you all :-)

mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User
    Re: Day 2 on Cytomel...Questions

Don't know if you remember, but I also had problems with Cytomel and headaches. I finally figured out that it's best to take a dose when you wake up and then take the second dose about 8 hours later. I feel like the headaches were the ups and downs as the Cytomel kicked in and wore off!. Not very scientific, but just my theory!

FWIW, I'm about 7 weeks post RAI and still not feeling great! Still needing med adjustments, but my Dr. wants to wait 6 weeks between dose changes! Hope you're feeling better soon.

J

Old 11-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post

I also got 'itchy' I guess you could call it. Couldn't relax or sit still. Lying in bed, I just kept getting little 'itches'. Creepies like, on my legs, then arms, then head. Not overwhelming or anything, just annoying.
    I guess I could get used to this.
    That sounds familiar - it has been awhile since I started T3 and I had some more noticeable phenomena going on too but that really sounds... familiar You still have T4 going through your systems (it takes a while to wear off since it's half life is like 6 or 7 days) and since T3 can be really fast acting (you are on quite a large dose) so it just could be the T3 doing those things. Hopefully they'll go away soon

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-03-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

mmmcoffee,
    How are you feeling? Have your headaches gone away? Sleeping better? Have you started going Hypo yet? Hope you doing OK!

J

Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Fish--
    Thank god, not hypo yet. I'm on day 9 of cytomel and no synthroid...they upped the cyt. to 25mcg twice a day. Today was the first day I DIDN"T wake up in horrible pains. Today there was no back pain, hip pain or leg pain. It was nice. Maybe it'll be a good coming week. Maybe the meds have adjusted, I don't know. But, I do plan on enjoying the next week (before I'm off all meds and going hypo) and do what I can. Walk the dogs as often as I can etc....but I do still lay down for a bit in the afternoon if I have time before the bus gets home.

I do think I'm going to pass on Thanksgiving this year. Probably won't feel up to traveling, and I can't eat half the stuff anyway....lol We'll see how it goes. Thanks for asking, and yes, today's a good day. Take care---
    mmmcoffee

Closed Thread