HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   cholesterol levels keep going up (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/646554-cholesterol-levels-keep-going-up.html)

tigger67 11-03-2008 02:59 PM

cholesterol levels keep going up

I had a fasting cholesterol test in 9/07 prior to any thyroid meds and it was 181. A few weeks ago I had a non-fasting chol test at a health fair and it's gone up to 213 with the LDL at 115. I thought synthroid was supposed to lower cholesterol as it balanced out your thyroid levels?

I don't eat red meat or dairy or high fat food. I haven't been able to exercise much this year due to fatigue from being hypo, so that's the only factor I can think of that's not related to thyroid.

Oleander53 11-03-2008 03:13 PM

Re: cholesterol levels keep going up

Cholesterol tests are very interesting........

A non fasting can be sky high depending on what you have been eating the last 12 hours or even the day before......I would wait and get a fasting done.

I had not had a normal cholesterol or Triglycerides since I was 36 after the birth of my twins........it just stayed up all the time. My good Cholesterol was great so I was told not to worry about it. It has just been recently in the last 3 months that I now have a normal level.........I truely believe it is that they FINALLY have my thyroid medication where it needs to be after 2 years and I am also being treated for Insulin resistance which Hypothyroidism and IR both raise your lipids.......

My father died a 94, he ate eggs, Whole milk, and ice cream every day the last 10 years of his life and always had a below normal cholesterol !!!! everyone is so different. Was never overweight........

I wouldn't worry too much...........get it checked again, make sure it is a FASTING.

Oleander

Reece 11-03-2008 03:35 PM

Yes, you have to have a fasting test, or it's not very accurate.

scottyboy10 11-03-2008 03:42 PM

keep your cholesterol at 220. your brain is 25 percent cholesterol and when your body heals it takes from brain. anything under 160 you are starting to die. cholesterol is your friend.

alikat709 11-04-2008 10:16 PM

. I thought synthroid was supposed to lower cholesterol as it balanced out your thyroid levels?
I would get it rechecked fasting BUT it seems to me that even though the thyroid levels are ok on synthroid ,people still tend to have high cholestrol, my mom is one of those people . She keeps telling me her synthroid is ok with her, as she is taking bp meds, statins, and heart meds. I continue to tell her that her thyroid doesn't get all it needs from a synthetic drug and to switch to armour, which has t4,t3,t2,t1, and calcitonin. synthroid has only t4.

mkgb 11-05-2008 05:45 AM

Tigger have you read my new thyroid care and concerns post? In most cases triglycerids and cholesterol levels will improve with the treatment of hypothyroidism AS LONG AS there is no adrenal dysfunction accompanying the thyroid dysfunction. The adrenal glands are responsible for taking and using cholesterol as the base component for well over a dozen other essential hormones and steriods that we need on a day to day basis. If you have PCOS, insulin resistance, hypoadrenalism, or a few other adrenal effecting issues, your cholesterol and triglycceride levels will continue to climb unchecked until the source of the issue is found and treated. I go into this in more detail in my new thyroid care and concerns thread. Hope it helps some people.

MG

tigger67 11-05-2008 11:47 AM

No, I haven't, but I will. High cholesterol does run on my mom's side of the family, so that could also be part of it. That and I haven't been exercising much lately due to being sick (which by the way, my cold is finally going away, it was a sinus infection after all).

I see my endo next in mid January so I'll ask her to schedule me for a fasting cholesterol test and will also mention the PCOS. I'm also doing the saliva adrenal test in January as well. My chiro says if I do have adrenal fatigue, he knows of natural herbs that will help. I prefer that since I'm trying to avoid steroids if possible. I take enough already with my asthma meds.