It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How will halfing my dosage of Synthroid affect me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
    Taffykath211
    (female)

Taffykath211 HB User
    How will halfing my dosage of Synthroid affect me?

How will taking half of my dosage of Synthroid affect me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: How will halfing my dosage of Synthroid affect me?

It depends on the situation - why is your dose reduced?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
    Taffykath211
    (female)

Taffykath211 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taffykath211 View Post
    How will taking half of my dosage of Synthroid affect me?
    I have been on Synthroid since 1998, at about the same dosage as now of 0.088. I have heard there is a residual effect with thyroid medications. If that is the case, if I was to take half of my dosage on a daily basis for a week or more, would there be serious consequences? Possibly no one but my own physician can answer this question. I am not on any other serious medications. I do not take blood thinners, blood pressure or cholesterol medications, any type of blood glucose medicine, or aspirin. I do take Klonopin, Wellbutrin, and Paxil - generic form. These were prescribed years ago to help me with Fibromyalgia. I am petite, 5'2" tall, and weigh approximately 135 lbs. I am trying to safely and carefully, with proper nutrition, lose weight. I weighed 100 lbs. until I was 38, in 1998. That was when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The reason for possibly splitting my medication in half is due to my current financial situation. I was out of work for about a month - mid-Sept. to Mid-Oct. I have cut back on my Paxil dosage, and now have eliminated Wellbutrin entirely. I want to lose about 20-25 lbs. Maybe this helps you to understand my situation.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Yes the medication doesn't wear off instantly but in the long run it's not wise to decrease the dose unnecesarily. I've heard that there are stores in the States that sell generic meds for a very low price - I'd strongly advice to get a prescription for some kind of med so that you won't have to decrease the dose.

I'm having a bit smilar situation in some respect - we here need to have a special permit for other thyroid meds than levothyroxine (that we only have one brand which is very inexpensive). I went to see my endo yesterday and I have my T3 meds for only a couple of weeks and it takes about the same time to get the permit for it for the next year (I could've asked for a speedy decision but my endo didn't know HE had to ask for it in the application) so I'm kinda torn whether to decrease the dose a tiny bit so my meds would last a tiny bit longer and I wouldn't go HypoT in case I didn't get my permit in time

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-05-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
    radar44
    (female)

radar44 HB User

Don't discontinue or change your Synthroid without talking with your doctor first. I stopped taking my Synthroid at my own discretion two years ago when I lost my job (and insurance). I never went back on the pills when I got a new job. Now I am suffering BIG TIME from not taking what my body really needed. I am now back on Synthroid for 4 weeks, but it has been horrible trying to get the correct dosage so I am dealing with both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid symptoms: panic attacks, anxiety, major fatigue, rapid heartbeat. I feel terrible and it will be at least a few more weeks before we know if the new dose I am on is right or wrong.

If you are on Synthroid and you feel good, PLEASE stay on it, even if you have to switch to generic, which I think costs about $4 per month. I would give anything to go back and change what I did.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Gosh if it is the price you're worried about then you can get 100 pills for $21 (before insurance co-pay) from Canada and you're doctor should have no problem sending the prescription there.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
    calail
    (female)

calail HB User

i agree with what others are posting here... don't decrease your dose because of money. contact your doctors office - they may be able to provide 'samples' given out by the manufacturer to supplement your purchases. and, there are plenty of places where you can buy generics for $4 to $6 monthly.

Closed Thread